Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 142092 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
Had another nice visit sunday, arrived early about 9 or so.. 

things I noticed this time:

The log hewing demo appears to be building something specific, logs are are set 3 or 4 high and are in a hexagon configuraion,

To my surprise, the steam engine that powers the shingle machine was up and running. They were making shingle and cedar boards. Has been a while since I have that demo up and running ;D like it.

As i had missed the new "enclosed" walkway around the gazebo I for sure looked it over, very well done and look great. ( I wonder how that will effect the Christmas tree? ???)

New fence by HDH looks like it belonged there all along.

There were several "bands" playing around the park participating in the world fest theme, Something I did notice, was that every place there was a group or band, there were 3 or 4 tables or actually added booths selling their "merchandise".  looked a little like fall festival in a couple of spots.  LOL. ;D

I actually strolled through Chrstmas Hollow, was unimpressed. but then again i dont get the chrismas ornament thing ALL year around????. Although lots of room inside almost to the fact of wasted space upstaurs and down.

Went to see the saloon show, was hoping to see Tiff, BUT NOPE, wasn't there...  had to settle for the other girls!

Park was immaculate as always, noticed a few " mary would not have allowed" items, But after last trip was not looking real close. They are for sure there if you just look.. LOL!!  OK, i will mention the 1 BIG one that I saw and laughed outloud about.... while they were prepping for the shingle making demo, while powering up, checking the belt, checking the blade, watching the steam........the operator pulled out an aerosal can of some kind and was lubing friction points..!!!   """Not is Miss Mary's Time""

All in all great day, low attendence early in the day, a little cool with wind, BUT NICE!!!!  when we left shortly after 12 or so lots were full and they were parking over in what i call the east lot, on the other side of the new road, and it was over 1/2 full then..

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
^
I agree about Christmas Hollow, there is too MUCH open space in there. They go from not enough room to an over abundance of it! Makes me wonder how "quaint" the woodcarver's will be...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
^
I agree about Christmas Hollow, there is too MUCH open space in there. They go from not enough room to an over abundance of it! Makes me wonder how "quaint" the woodcarver's will be...

"Quaint"...... Hmmmm?  is that the political way to say "CROWDED"????  LOL

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
Lots of detail here, so bear with me!

We hit Branson a little after 7 Friday night; the wife wanted to clothes shop with a bonus she got from her health insurance company, so I took her to Dress Barn at Tanger.  30 minutes (and $300) later, we were on the way to check in at Homestay.  Spent a very pleasant few minutes talking to Paige; my wife indulged herself in some TV while I tried to read, and then we hit the hay for an early wake up.

We got off the bus and the entrance to the park at 8:05 and waited near the head of the line to get in.  A little kerfluffle occurred when a young man in white shirt and cummerbund left his instrument in its case on the bus that brought him in.  a couple of citizens were trying very hard to find the bus and get the instrument to him.

We got in at 8:29 (by my watch) and headed straight to Mollies for our first b-fast buffet of the season. We got to watch a young family at the “special” table.  It was funny to see how long it took them to admit that something was strange about their table.

When we were stuffed, we went back to the HH so my wife could begin her pin-trading career.  She bought a supply to deal with and a lanyard, and then we headed to the square for the flag raising.  On the way, she spied a hand-knitted sweater jacket hanging on a rack by the Ecuadorian band.  Their top salesman came over, knew he had a fish, and said:  “Alpaca!  Like llama, you know?  Alpaca!  $45; but, for you, $40.”  The fish didn’t play:  “Done!” she shouted.  It is warm and heavy and fits well, but now she is nagged by wondering if she should have dickered.  Ha!  I had to run back into HH for more cash.

Right after, we went to wait for the Pickers, but, instead of staying put, I went over to listen to the tractor operator’s spiel.  I almost got the test question right.

As soon as we finished talking to the Pickers about a couple of songs, we headed down Cardiac Hill to the Dockside for the yodeler—nice guy!  Fantastic vocal skills:  we bought a couple of his CDs—and then hung around for the Irish harpist.  My wife—part Irish—had to have her picture taken with her, and they chatted quite some time after the show.

We then went round to the Frisco Barn for lunch.  This was the one bad experience of the day.  Far too crowded:  they really need to pull those tables out of there.  No way to form good lines with people trying to work their way through.  It was made worse by a bunch of teenagers feeding their friends into the Greek line in front of my wife.  After 30 minutes, her line hadn’t moved at all because of the constant cutting in, so she moved over to the Chinese line, waited, got her food, and got her drink, and the people who had been right behind her in that line STILL had not moved up to order.   Next year, unless it is changed, we will eat elsewhere and maybe only stop there to get a dessert.  The situation is simply not working.

After lunch it was off to the train.  New conductor, still having a bit of trouble with the lies but a real nice guy.  I was disappointed not to see Hobo Junction, of course, and I was rather dismayed by the proximity and the overwhelming character of the construction.  I know that the park needs the big rides, and I know that some of you like them, but have no use for them and regret the continuing encroachment on the train ride “in the woods, for you city slickers.”  Just my own personal pet peeve, of course, and no disrespect meant to you folks who thrive on them.

After the train, we went through the mine (I also got lots of outside pics for my project) and then went uphill ot the HH for the Pin Trading.  My wife traded one, bought another.  Then she traded again—this time for an employee pin—when we bought some Cherry Butter and Strawberry Preserves at the Apple Butter place.  She’s real proud of that pin.  We’re also apparently becoming known to some of the citizens—“Hey, I remember you guys!  You’re re-enactors!”  The folks in our unit have grown fond of SDC Cherry Butter.

After stopping in at Hannah’s for the best Ice Cream on the planet, we went to Granny’s for a log of Pine Tar lye soap—we cut it close and are almost out at home!  Then we cut across to the candy shop for some fudge for a hospitalized friend and the glass blowers for a business card holder for my wife’s desk.  We went back to mid town to browse the quilt ship, but my wife was out of $$$ at that point and it was after 5. 

So we headed up the steps and out to OM.  We had to stop at the dulcimer shop at pick up a catalog for the older son, as he wants to buy a Hammered Dulcimer, and we needed to price them for him.  Then it was out to the chaos of the tram lines.  They really do need more than one citizen directing traffic there at rush times.  And what happened to Stop 4??

After a long and tiring but Wonderful day, we stopped in Springfield for HuHot and got home at 10:04.  My sife had to wait till Early Sunday morning to prepare to teach her Sunday School class, for she was awful tired at that point.

All-in-all, a great visit and a break at the City just when I needed one.  We’re looking at mid-May to do BG&BBQ, which I had to keep reminding myself as I left.  Why, oh, WHY won’t they let us move in??

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
^

Agreed.  I know it gets crowded in CH, though, so they may have licked a problem.  We'll see.  They could, of course, make better use of the space.  They need trains in there, and they now have the room . . .

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Exactly palallin!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
Went to see the saloon show, was hoping to see Tiff, BUT NOPE, wasn't there...  had to settle for the other girls!

I wish I coulda been there!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
Great review Pallalin!!  sounds like you had a great visit!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
We took a quick trip to Branson this weekend to check out Worldfest at SDC.

We went into the park today (April 29) hoping that it would be less busy than a typical Saturday, and it certainly was!  We made it to the park by opening, but by the time we made it inside, we missed the opening ceremony.  We had no hassles getting into the park, and we walked right up to a waiting tram.

We watched the Kenyan acrobats for a little bit.  It was okay.  We rode the train, Flooded Mine, and carousel.   We walked on to everything. The girls checked out Half-Dollar Hollar and Grandfather's Mansion.  That was pretty much the extent of our riding this trip.   We have been skipping bigger rides when we have the toddler with us.  We did get some glimpses of the new coaster, but I couldn't tell you anything about it that others haven't.

I had a taco salad from the Mexico stand.  It wasn't bad, but I wish I'd had the fajita wrap instead.  My older daughter had the kettle chips.  Those are always pretty good.  We shared cinnamon bread, too.

I really can't report on any shows beyond Ecuador Manta and the flag show.  We didn't do any indoor shows; our youngest was pretty squirmy.  Miraculously, she sat well in the stroller when we were walking along, so we did a lot of walking along.  The shows we did see were good.  My DH always enjoys Ecuador Manta!

We probably won't get back until summer sometime.  We will be going to Disney in early June!  :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
Sounds like a good trip! Thanks for sharing with us!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
I was there yesterday (4/28/12). We arrived around 11:45 and waited around on Main Street for the Kenyan Acrobats. The show had good parts, but 80% of it didn't impress me. Same with the rest of my group (my mom, my sister, her boyfriend and mine) didn't really take to it. We headed to TNT from there. The line wasn't SUPER long, but it's usually a lot shorter. Then we wandered around until we came to the GIANT Barn Swing. The line for that wasn't too bad. We headed for the Saloon, but the show was full before we got there, so we went back to Main Street for the Italian Flag throwers. It was ok, but having been in winterguard, not a whole lot impressed (sorry). We decided to do some more wandering until we ended up at WF. The line for that was AWFUL!!! It was out in the street, almost past the steps that lead to the observation deck and inside, the line weaved all through the building. Then we almost suffocated when we got into the building. Maybe they should invest in some fans...
For lunch, my sister and mom got the Irish Stew. They really like it. I got the fish and chips from Ireland. I've had better, but I was hungry enough to eat anything. The boys got the skillet spaghetti from Italy. They seemed to like it.
After lunch we saw the last Saloon show of the day. It was pretty much the same as it has been, but with a few new parts thrown in and some old parts taken out. We rode PK next. The line was almost to the street, but it moved pretty quick. After that we rode WF again. The line was a lot shorter this time, probably because it was 45 minutes til closing. My mom, sister and her bf left me and my bf at FITH where the line was almost to the street, but that moved pretty quick too. We met the others at GE, rode the teacups, then hightailed it to Echo Hollow. We missed the first couple of songs, but they sounded good from the street!
I liked last year's GAC Nights better, but I was still very entertained. I think the main thing I didn't like was the new set made the stage look very crowded. Also, the costumes lacked color really bad. I liked how last year everybody wore a certain color, then all the costumes matched. This year, the opening number was the only one where they had different colors, except it was only the trim of the girl's denim dresses that had color. I don't know what they guys wore, cuz we missed the first part of the show. When got there, it was only the girls on stage. The rest of the show, every body had on the same color. In one of the numbers, all the girls had black and royal blue, but all the outfits looked different, and some of the guys had on black shirts while the rest had red. The rest of the show, everybody matched everybody, color and all. Also, they advertised "New Performers!" There were only two: a singer and a fiddle player. Everybody else was the same.
Good song selection, but I hated the new set and the costumes.
Everybody had a really good time overall. We were going to stay the night and leave the next morning, but Dad had to go to work on Saturday last minute, so we decided to make it a day trip.

Link to the pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3191905405292.2130932.1495599105&type=3
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
... We decided to do some more wandering until we ended up at WF. The line for that was AWFUL!!! It was out in the street, almost past the steps that lead to the observation deck and inside, the line weaved all through the building. Then we almost suffocated when we got into the building. Maybe they should invest in some fans...

Wow, that's the first I've heard of that happening on a "normal" weekend in a long time. I seems like the crowds have really been up this year so far, and a lot more of the crowds are riding the rides than in the past. I haven't been paying attention, but are they still running $30 ticket promotions?

cjfootball_89

• Hatfield
  • Proud SDC fan for almost two decades!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »
27th-29th Trip Review

We left for Branson around 2:30 on Friday and arrived at the Branson West Mcdonalds, (which has the best far away view of the park), at 7:30. I got 2 pictures of the new ride from a distance then left for Branson and arrived at our Palace View Condo around 8.

Saturday morning/afternoon we went to SDC. We got there at 1 and the crowds were kinda big but not like Kidsfest. There were a ton of band/choir/music groups in the park. .... I think SDC needs to post on Facebook or their website when big groups are going to be at the park... would be very helpful. I rode FITH, PK, WF, and TNT. PK was running THREE trains! First time i have ever seen 3 trains... And the line was still rather long... Lines were pretty much long on everything though....... I ate dinner at the Mexico place and had a chicken Fajita. We then went to Table Rock lake and fished for 2 hours and i caught 0 fish..... and my GF caught 5!! Idk what i was doin wrong but she sure showed me up. Went back to the condo swam and went to bed.

Sunday morning we arrived at the park right at opening time and headed straight for the taffy shop. They were out of alot of different kinds of taffy, including my favorite, blue raspberry. We then went to the Saloon Show... VERY well done! That kid that plays Fabian (who also sings down at Echo Hollow) is so good. Very Funny. My GF loves how deep his voice can go...... We then went to FITH... Never really noticed til now how much daylight is beginning to shine in on the ride..... We then rode PK, TNT, GS, and Wildfire. Hardly any lines on anything.... Much better than Saturday.... Except i wanted to ride the train but the line for that was ridiculous almost the whole day because they had to make repairs and got behind schedule. I didn't get to ride because i did the lantern tour of the cave but my parents got to ride and they got some pictures of the new ride.. Im not going to upload them because i don't have any that you haven't already seen.... The Lantern Tour was very good. This was my second time doing it and probably the 1,000th time in the cave but somehow i find out something new about the history of the cave every time i go in again.... Are tour guide was German and it was her first Lantern tour, but she spoke very fluently and had the coolest accent.... After the tour we left and went home.... Overall a pretty good trip to Silver Dollar City.

Things I noticed:

There is a little more audio other than "That areas restricted" "do you smell smoke" and "Your to close to that nitro"  that has been added to the PK launch area.

The water from the old Buzzsaw Falls canals has been drained

The Shot Tower next to PK had some audio to it

The FITH strobe light on the last drop flashed on Sunday but not on Saturday... inconsistent

The main women's bathroom at the bottom of Cardiac Hill is being remodeled. The men and women are both using the same restroom they just put a wall up. Long line for women, not really much of a line for men but still cramped.

Quite a few shops are not scheduled to open til May 10th

The new Gazebo set up is so much nicer than it used to be

cjfootball_89

• Hatfield
  • Proud SDC fan for almost two decades!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure the $30 ticket things are over... I searched for some discounts and stuff for my GF before going this weekend and i couldn't find anything! Had to buy a two day ticket for $50 on Whiteman AFB before going... that was the only deal i found.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
Those sound like decent trips yall!!  :) I cant wait till school is done (8 days) and I can go again....if finals dont kill me first...
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!