Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141914 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #480 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
Parson, ! thats a great idea, but that would be terrible thing to do to Ada Mae..!!

where r u staying that weekend? (( 4th&5th?))

will u be @ the city on sunday the 5th.?

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
Parson, ! thats a great idea, but that would be terrible thing to do to Ada Mae..!!

where r u staying that weekend? (( 4th&5th?))

will u be @ the city on sunday the 5th.?

It would be funny to see anyway!
We are staying at Homestay.
We will be there at some point on Sunday. Not sure when just yet.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »
I checked the website again, and the Apple turnovers should be @ the "Tower Concession"...  I am guessing that is the "waterworks tower" concession on Hugo Hill.. according to the map it should be in the FITH/PK area..  Huh

Looks like I may make an unscheduled trip this weekend, i will be looking again...!!!! Grin

I will be at the city this weekend as well Dan.  We may storm the guest services if they don't have the Apple dumplings......
I do think however they try to pass them off as a German dessert and have them in the barn with the other food.
What about shows this weekend, we have thought about going to see the Haywood's, got any recommendations for 2 on a budget?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
I'll be there Saturday with my family (bro and parents).  If you see me, say "hi" -- probably won't have much time to talk though as we have a tight schedule as I am working on my World Fest report that day.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:58 AM »
Swoosh I will miss you buy a day.  I usually go to Springfield on Saturday and run around Branson, then the city on Sunday.
  That's luck for ya.  Maybe later in the year.  I will be watching for your report.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »
Made a short Friday/Saturday trip to Branson. Did not have SDC time this go around. Here are a few impressions of the trip: Rained on and off the entire time. Riverboat Motel completely gone now. Ozarkland Gift Shop rebuilt, it's a metal building, but they had not gotten the interior done yet and it is not open. Starvin' Marvins is open, redecorated on the outside, totally the same inside. Ate lunch buffet and it was good as usual. Branson Heights shopping center totally gone, land up for sale. Nothing new there. Town was busy, a big Christian Woman's Conference underway Saturday. Hotels with "no vacancy" signs all over. This trip was a getaway for the wife, and relatives paid our motel, so we wound up at the Best Western downtown. (Sorry to Paige) Heck, a free room is a free room. The relative paid for a suite, and it was a recently remodeled room, very comfortable, good staff there.  Ate at Black Oak Grill at the Landing. Two thumbs up, it was fine. Sad to see the old Branson Cafe in downtown has bit the dust and is now closed. This was a shocker to both my wife and I. That cafe has been there since probably the 40's or 50's. Sad to say goodbye to that old friend. We spent alot of time rambling around the crafts malls and the Landing. Also walked through Imax. Walked through Dickenson's Gift Shop on the strip, They changed ownership, and have converted the metal "garage" area that used to house merchandise to a flea market. The interior shop is about the same, but seems like alot of the same ole crap nobody is buying...just like several of the crafts malls. Was impressed this trip with Branson Mills, several craftspeople manned shops and an older guy sang to a small crowd of grey hairs, pleasant. Also found a big rack of Ozarks Mountaineer Magazines on sale in Branson Mills and at Engler Block for $1 each. If you are a fan of the Ozarks Mountaineer, better get by these places soon, as the magazine is OUT OF BUSINESS after 60 years, and if you want copies, better get 'em while they last. Also, had a nice chat with a lady in Engler's Block, and she said although Pete is gone, his shop lives on. His business partner, a woman, was trained by Pete, and will keep the shop open and will have a supply of Pete Engler woodcarvings for some time to come. She will take up the reins and continue Pete's Christmas ornament tradition starting this year. No photos, but I did post brochures for Engler Block and for the Yee Haw Show, the tribute show to the Hee Haw TV Show.  Check 'em out:      http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan   
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »
Checked into the Homestay on Friday and went tto see the sights of Springfield Saturday.  Had a great time.  Saturday night we ran around Branson and did a little shopping.  Had a fun time even in the cold rain.
Sunday we got up Sunday wore some light coats and headed to the city.  We stood in line at the chain and waited till the the bulls started running for Outlaw Run.  I would say it took 10 min to get on the ride and when we pulled back into the station the entire line had filled.  I give the coaster an A plus. A lot is packed into the 1 min ride.
We went over to PK and waited for 30-40 min until we were 2nd from getting on and they announced that they would be putting another train on.  Not sure if you realize this is a 25 min exercise.  I could not help but turn to the ride op and ask why they waited till 10 am to put on a 3rd train.  Being that I was told by the man at OR that they had 11000 people there on Saturday in the rain why they would wait until an hour after the park had opened to add another train.  All I could think of was that the nobody had checked the weather to see that it was to be sunny and 72.  Unfortunately I found out that Wildfire opted to maintain 1 train.  This wait took 1 hour.  I see no reason for this to be the case.  the weather was not a surprise.  the crowds were crazy summer Saturday like and they were running far to few trains.
BTW 1 swing on the great swing as well.  We ate and left.  I love going to the city but obviously not staffing or running the necessary trains in not an excusable thing.  I think having a 2 day park is a great thing but understaffing to the point that it takes 2 days just to do the rides is not acceptable.  I look forward to going back on a Monday before school lets out, maybe then there will be a break.
BTW they pulled out all the Bradford pears on the walkway going into the park and replaced them with Chinese elms.  Any ideas as to why this was necessary?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 29, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »
Maybe they took out the Bradford pears because of how terribly horrible they smell when they bloom? We have a bunch of them on campus at MSU, and my goodness, it's like getting a ginormous whiff of a bag of dead fish.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:16 AM »
Maybe they took out the Bradford pears because of how terribly horrible they smell when they bloom? We have a bunch of them on campus at MSU, and my goodness, it's like getting a ginormous whiff of a bag of dead fish.

Bradford pears are invasive as heck, weak and prone to breakage from wind and ice. Replacing them is always best, the sooner the better.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »
Not trying to stir up anything but just asking -- isn't this the 2012 trip review thread? I keep reading 2013 trip reviews and trip plans in this 2012 thread.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #490 on: April 29, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Yes.  This thread should be locked and all 2013 reviews should go into the 2013 thread
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
heard attendence for sunday was about 10,000..