Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 142097 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2012, 12:26:19 AM »
My friends and I actually really liked the Kenyan Acrobats and the Italian flag throwers, and we LOVED the Peruvian Scissor Dancers. And on the other hand, we were REALLY disappointed with La Bella Musica. The entire thing was like a Vegas revue or something you could see on the Branson strip. Not that it was *technically* bad--the singers were great, the accordion player was good--but with all the amazing traditional cultural shows going on elsewhere in the park, this just felt REALLY out of place with the Dean Martin, Tom Jones, Elvis songs and all the fancy lighting and the stage decor that really looked like it belonged in The Venetian in Vegas.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Joy, My wife & I couldn't agree with you more!
Yes, La Bella Musica was great, but compared to the other showes around the park, it lacked the traditional cultural aspect that so many of the other showes had. I'm glad to hear there was someone else that felt the same way.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:42:41 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
I do have to highlight the soprano's rendition of "I Will Always Love You." She really knocked it out of the park, and I LOVED hearing it in Italian.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2012, 09:56:41 AM »
Trip review for Saturday, May 5. We were doing a down and back to the city Saturday so we left home a bit after 6, and pulled into parking at 9:18. Love all the road improvements between here and there. Got into the park and oldest went straight to PK while youngest and I went to FITH. I can’t speak for PK but in FITH there were more effects NOT working than working. It was a bit disappointing for me but no one else seemed bothered. We rode FITH three times in the time oldest rode PK (in the front row) twice. Not too bad. Then headed to HDH. The slide being gone is weird, but I guess they’ll get used to it. Rode the train. (I didn’t take construction pics, but dang, it seems like there is a lot done).  Left the station for AP and the line was back to the furniture store (which may move quickly but with two little kids that long hot wait across the bridge is not worth it) so we headed to LRTO, where we were told the wait was an hour, I think we were actually in line about 40 mins which was just long enough for everyone to pull a snack out of the backpack and relax. This was the hit of the day! Everyone got wet and had a great time. Then walked over to “Via Italia” which was disappointing, no street performers or living statues, just a lot of people standing and blocking the walkway. Rode lady bugs, caterpillars, and just as oldest was about to get on the swings they quit (which was a blessing bc they sat there for quite a while). Then went to FM and TNT, stopped at the bat cart, watched a few minutes of the flag throwers (which my kids and hub really liked), walked through the barnyard (very empty just a dog and two goats) and then headed home! Left the park at 2:15 and arrived home at 5:15. These trips are a whirlwind but definitely fun!
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
I almost forgot, my hubs and uncle spent a long time at the log hewing. And the kids loved watching and listening to him. It was a reminder that not everything has to be colorful or fast for kids to like it!
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »
I took my little Kindergarten aged grandson to SDC for his FIRST visit today! He skipped school today and grandpa took him to the park! Since he is so young we hit all the kiddie rides in Grand Exposition, Ladybugs, Frogs, Catepillers, the little roller coaster, tea cups...he loved them all. He thought Grandfathers Mansion was pretty crazy, and he loved the plunge, FITH, Flooded Mine and the train. MUCH progress on the new coaster, I'll post some photos later. Only saw 1 Bluegrass show because the boy wanted to ride as many rides as he could. Also hit Half Dollar Holler, and Geyser Gulch, he just had to play with those air guns you put the foam balls in. So all and all, had a great trip. We did eat breakfast in the Mill, had hot dogs and chips after getting off Riverblast (he loved that, too!) So now I think I have him convinced that SDC is always better than a day in school! Ha! He was trying to convince me to bring him back again soon while we had a goodbye cold drink just prior to exiting through the Ozark Marketplace! He even loved riding to and from the park on the trams, he had never seen anything like that before! Again, I will post some photos a bit later tonight. Be watching for them...the new roller coaster shots are something else...this is going to be a big, exciting ride! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
Junior!! Thats Great!!  congrats!!  A day for the memory book!! ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Photos from my trip to SDC on May 11, 2012 now posted at my Flickr site. You have got to see the new photos of the new coaster...this is going to be a bigger project then I think we all anticipated!     http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

-
One special note about my trip today: Last year at this time I went to the newly opened shop "Dugan's Trading Company" and asked the employees if they knew about the origin of "Dugan" in their name. Some did, some did not. So today when I went by, I presented the shop employees with a framed "legend" about the diving bell, and another framed copy of some of the diving bell concept art. I told them they could keep them, and post them on the wall of the shop if they wanted to. They seemed to really appreciate what I did for them, so perhaps in a few days they will get the two frames up on a wall and you can look at them next time you are on park. I hope so anyway. I'm just trying to keep the memory of the diving bell alive at the park. It is one of the many "lost" attractions of SDC that employees and guests fondly remember.  :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:45:59 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
I don't usually go in that store, but I will next time I'm at SDC to see if they put them up!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:06:27 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

pintrader

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
This was just recently added at Bluegrass & Barbecue.  It's a new seating area cover for the gazebo.  The old one was red and sun was able to shine thru the top because of cracks.  This new one does a better job of stopping the sun and looks to be a whole lot sturdier.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
While the new one is nice I liked the red one. It was kinda iconic.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
While the new one is nice I liked the red one. It was kinda iconic
That looks like crap!  How uncelebratory that is, looks like something made out of muslin and 4 by 4's
Why would they build something on the cheap like that...................oh wait......I think I know why.  Same reason they put fake flowers all over the park.  They are being cheap " .  "

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
MH,, I think i agree with you! looks bad......................................wait I know!!!! :o :o :o :o :o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

maybe during OTC they will cover it with X-mas lights and call it a tree! ;D ;D ;D ;D

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
maybe during OTC they will cover it with X-mas lights and call it a tree!
HEY HEY !!!!  Now Sand dont go dreaming of getting hired on as a top executive at Hershing down in Atlanta but with thinking like that you might just run this company soon!!!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
While the new one is nice I liked the red one. It was kinda iconic.

I liked the red one, also.