Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141921 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »
19 more school days here...but that amounts to a full month! cannot wait to be able to post another review!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
There were a ton of band/choir/music groups in the park. .... I think SDC needs to post on Facebook or their website when big groups are going to be at the park... would be very helpful.

Yeah, that's why the lines for rides were so long. I hate when groups of teenagers get together. Their maturity levels drop about 10 years.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:01:51 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
from 1880 to 1870? Hmmm wonder what the maturity would be then??
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
Visited SDC on Sunday, April 29th with my wife. We got to the park about 9:15 (it 'officially' opened at 10). We walked around the square and watched a Russian performance at the Gazebo. Watched the flag raising ceremony, then at rope drop, we headed to Thunderation. We got to ride the second train of the day. Then we headed down to the Train to get on the first one of the day. I got nothing new to report on the ride, everyone else has done a great job of keeping us updated. It looks to me, that the lift hill will be the first thing right after the station. On the train he said "Management has allowed me to state that, yes, we are building...something."
The shows we saw were:
Italy (Red/Gold Heritage Hall)
Hawaii (Riverfront Playhouse)
Ireland (Dockside Theatre)
We had lunch at the Frisco Barn where they have all the food from around the world.
We had an afternoon snack at Eva & Delilah's Bakery...MMMMM
The park looked good, glad we went on Sunday, because the weather & crowds were perfect. All of the citizens were polite, had nice conversation with a lady in Christmas Hollow. She asked if this was our first visit to SDC. We had a good laugh about that!! I told her it was our first visit this year, but that I had been coming here 4-5 times per year for the last 25 years. She said that she is in her second season with SDC, and that she absolutely loves her job. We also visited with the Chief @ FITH, and got to see his Dalmation. Saw Terry first thing as we got off the trams at 9:15, then saw him again at the Hospitality House as we were leaving at 5:00...always a smile on that mans face.

Oh, and on a side note, we were having lunch on a bench outside Red/Gold Heritage Hall, and 3 teenage girls walked up to us heading toward Grand Exposition. They said, "Hey...this is the way to Wildfire isn't it?" Bless their hearts, I tried my best to direct them all the way to the complete other side of the park. I'm sure they found it, or at least picked up a map!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
from 1880 to 1870? Hmmm wonder what the maturity would be then??

Teenagers hadn't been invented yet (they are a product of the 20th Century).  People in their teens in the 1870s/'80s were, in general, far more mature adults who are in their twenties today.  In general, exceptions taken into account.

Immaturity (at any post-grammar school age) usually led to dead in pioneer environments, either from starvation or annoyed neighbors.

I am NOT, of course, impugning the honor of any of the younger memebers here, Tiff in particular. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
Heck at Tiff's age she would be no spring chicken anymore back in those days...she'd be done looking for a quiet spot to cuddle up to he special friend, she be lookin' fer that same spot to get away from the littluns running around at knee level!

Really I am telling the truth! The life expectancy was 40.5 in 1880...meaning that she'd be having her midlife crisis seeing that she (or anyone-not to pick on Tiff) would have been married off by about 16-17 (Laura Ingall's Wilder was 18 I believe, 19 with her first child)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
I have always acted more mature than most teenagers, so no offense taken!

I was doing a family tree project for school, and dad's mom told me that her grandma was 15 when she got married and had her oldest son when she was 17, then Grandma's mom was born at age 18, then there were 4 more kids after that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:07:15 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
Teenagers not invented?!?! Where can I get in on that? My kiddo is 5 going on 17.....:)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
SWOOSH

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
Good job Swoosh, Thanks for sharing.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2012, 08:27:25 AM »
As always, Swoosh, wonderful report. Thanks for the photos!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
All true.  Just remember, though:  average life expectancy is just that:AVERAGE.  It doesn't mean that people lived to 40.5 and dropped dead.  It means that a large percentage died in infancy or early childhood of all those nasty things we immunize against today; those early deaths really pulled down the average.  My father had 5 children:  '37, '38, '47, '51, and '64 (me); the first two died in '39 of Scarlet Fever.  If all three of us remaining boys die at 80, the average life of this generation is 48.6.

Another real drag on the average was women dying in childbirth.  Many men outlived two or three wives for that reason.

Women started bearing children early because they had the resilience of youth to help fight the dangers of child-bearing (which was anything but easy:  we sneer at the society that laid its mothers up in bed for months around that time, but the fact is that the rest and recovery were absolutely essential and not getting it really cut into female life expectancy).  Older men often married young women--mere girls, to us--for that very reason.  We are shocked; they were trying to perpetuate the population.

Life was certainly hard.  But, for men, suriving to seven years of age meant nearly as good a chance at reaching the biblical "four score and ten" as we have today.  If a woman survived (or avoided) childbirth, she would probably live even longer.

All on average, of course.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
swoosh, another great set of pics, thanks

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Great pics! Thanks for sharing them!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
What a great pictorial review of World Fest!  I loved the flag throwers in tights. But...that was the one show that I wanted to see the most.  Since watching the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun", I've wanted to see the flag throwing ceremony.  By the way, did anyone purchase SanPellegrino limonata?  While rummaging around for root beer today, I found the bottle I brought home.  Whoo! Whee!  It was yummy, tart, tangy, and power puckering!  I wasn't expecting it to be so uh..tart...so I would rank it up there with Wildfire Taffy!  ;D If you are going to World Fest, try it out!