Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141909 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
2012 Trip Reviews
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
Forsythia and dogwood in full bloom, picture perfect weather, friendly "citizens" and a beautiful opening day at SDC for 2012!!! Here is a brief trip report:   Got to the park at 8:15am and parked right at stop 2, had a tram waiting for me that whisked me directly to the park entrance. Moderate sized crowds, no long waits at any rides. Park does look very good, cleaned, swept, painted, spruced up, and all ready to go! Construction underway at Echo Hollow stage, new location for Christmas Hollow in the old woodcarvers location is nice, much more room. Woodcarvers now located in OLD Christmas Hollow location, not yet open, it will be a few weeks. All your favorite entertainers on park, got to see Doc Gizmo, Pure Heart, and Sons of the Silver Dollar. BIG NEWS regarding the mystery ride for 2013. The site of the Old Robbers Shack was covered today by construction workers, much concrete down, many trees cut, big loading station apparently being built here. Down the hill toward the mule barn, many concrete pylons scattered on the hillside. They cleared alot of trees there too. Only mention by the conductor on the train is basic: "folks you'll notice alot of new construction along the tracks, a new attraction is coming next year, more about that later in the year." I made a whirlwind trip through the park as my time and money were restricted today, and was NOT able to make it to Branson to tour the tornado damage, but I asked several citizens how Branson looked and everyone was positive, upbeat, and said much has been cleaned up, but added it will take a while to get everything done. Out of the park and in my car by 12:30pm.  Photos of everything on my Flickr site! Click on the photos to enlarge them, and to read the full captions. Hope to see you later in the season at SDC!  ;D ;D ;D         http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan   FOOTNOTE: Everything looked normal at Wilson's Farm, I could NOT tell how people will enter the new ride area. I guess that will come later. I assume they will move something or build beside the HiLow Towers or giant swing for the guests to access the new attraction. Oh by the way, the concrete pylons laid out on the hill toward the Mule Barn are only about 50 feet away from Hobo Junction! When the trees are full of leaves, it really won't matter. Hobo Junction is safe (for now) and the new ride...whatever it is...will fill up the entire space the trees have been removed from.

Admin Edit: Reformatted topic title to fit the format we started in 2010, stickyed so that this will be the official trip report thread. - Shavethewhales
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:39:27 PM by shavethewhales »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: TRIP REVIEWS: 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the review!  We've just got to get to SDC soon!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »
Appreciate the review Junior.  Good work!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
Aww, thanks Junior.  I was sure we would hear from you today!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the review! Glad to see the park start off on the right foot this year.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
Nice review for a whirwind trip.. I am anxious to be there next weekend.!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
I had school today from 12:30-3:15 and the whole time I kept whispering to by friends sitting around me what I could be doing at SDC right now instead of taking notes, working on our project, etc.
I let all my friends in psychology know that today is the first day of SDC's 2012 season at least 8 different times, one of them finally told me to shut up.

March 23rd and I'll be HOME!!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Is the saloon show open? Silver dollar city web site says it is but there is no mention of it in the path finder.

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Trip review AND matching photos!  Top notch work Junior, thanks!
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, no show currently in saloon, Red/Gold Hall, Meeting Hall, or Opera House.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
Did you see what the refillable mugs look like for this year? It turns out the last one I got was from 2008. The picture is getting scratched and faded because I take it everywhere, so I figured its time for a new one. Also, do you know how much they are?

(I have to budget money for SDC, or else I'll spend my life savings all in one trip.)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
I will be writting a review up soon and puttin pics up, dang Jr beat me to the first front :) But I do know the S. Mugs are like 10$$ but 1.75 to refill. They are not the fat round kind of the past but kinda skinny and short/tall. They reminded me of a fancy tall coffy cup.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
junior I am sure your right....  that is one of thing i dont like about spring break... as i stated earlier, several of the shows and seems like 1/2 the shops are closed. :(

entertainment schedule for this week and next:
http://hfeimages.aristotle.net/General/March%2015-25%20schedule.pdf

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Yup, the new mugs this year are taller and skinny...they have the blacksmith and I think the train on them. I didn't get a close up look on Thursday, but they are a new type of mug...something to add to  your collection next time you visit.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
Here it is, my trip review:

3/16: It started out cool and the park was really kinda empty which made it nice because the lines were short. My son rode Thunderation and Powderkeg and LOVED it. :) I took a bajillion pictures and you could see construction when you rode the train. Took out hobo junction all of it except for the train car. But I got pictures of some of the construction going on and will post them as soon as I get it fee-gured out. Train show was slightly different, but still funny!! They did make mention that there would be a new ride this next year and will be advertised starting this fall. Like I said the crowd level was on the small side until about 1, then the park exploded with people!! The lines for everrything were short. I was able to get right on Lost River no wait. Which I think has happened one other time.....Am Plunge line wait was about 20 minutes. The weather was fantastic for March. Couldnt ask for better!

3/17: More of the same as the day before except PowederKeg and Wildfire were not running due to tech difficulties  ??? ??? until about noon. Then Lost River shut down due to the same. The line for the Flooded mine was almost to the train!! Eek! Half Dollar Hollar was okay. I wasnt overly impressed considering they spent so much on it. But my kid thought it was the bees knees and thats what counts. I went to the apple butter shop and had me some free samples. Try the Sweet Potato Butter. YUUUUUUUM! Crowd level was higher but it was Saturday so no surprise. Line wait was again surprisingly small in most areas but the Grand Expo. Which to me had a really lame feeling about it. Even my kiddo didnt want to hang out there. We rode the magnificent wave carasoul and the line wait for that was aweful. The ride operator was cranky. Seriously if your cranky on day 3 of park opening go find another job. At the Riverblast the line was non existant and we got right on. We saw ahead of us a guy passing his kid from one side of the boat to the other  :o :o idiot. All in all it was amazing as usual. Cant wait to get back for Bluegrass and BBQ!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!