Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 140621 times)

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
I wouldn't surprise me if something got shuffled around  :D
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
I got a good taste of Worldfest today! (Thursday, 4/19/12) Arrived at 9:05am and parked right at stop 2. Tram was there waiting for me. Into the park with no problem, and a good breakfast at the mill. Gotta tell ya this...the waitress at the mill paid me a big complement. I was dressed in jeans and a pullover golf shirt and was wearing an old SDC cap that I've had since the early '90's. When the waitress came to get my drink order, she assumed I was an employee, and asked where I worked! I had to explain to her that I worked at the mill...but back in '79! I told her I am a FORMER employee, just up for a day of exploring the park. It was a good day to visit shops or go to rides. There were no lines anywhere...whoops...there were LONG LINES to get into the Meeting Hall and the Opera House to see the bigger Worldfest performances. When I say long lines, I really mean it, too. The line for the meeting hall extended all the way to the Dockside Theater, and the line for the Opera House was all the way to the entrance to the Powder Keg store. You could walk right in to FITH, Flooded Mine, Train, ANY of the rides with no problem. It was a "grey" crowd...older folks, not too many kids 'cause they are still in school. I saw the Russian Academic Band, Ecuador Manta, the Kenyan Sarakasi Acrobats,Austrian Master Yodeler Kerry Christensen, and some performers on stilts dressed as "Italian" characters on the streets in the Red/Gold Heritage Hall area. Another whirlwind trip through the park, and back out to the car at 1:30pm. NOTE: I did get to see my old co-worker and buddy from the diving bell, Kerry Chester, who served all those long years ago as our maintenance lead man. Kerry was operating the audio board at the Dockside Theater today. It was nice to see him, and he showed me a photo of his new grandchild, born in January. Congratulations, Kerry! Construction on the new coaster was proceeding well, however, they have erected a temporary fence that is in front of Hobo Junction, the footprint for the new ride comes right up to it. The park really looked good today. Photos of Worldfest, coaster construction, Echo Hollow stage construction, and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:39:40 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
Great Trip Review Junior, thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good time, and had some good conversations with the citizens.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

pintrader

« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I made a spur of the moment trip to SDC today and was lucky enough to get a few extra shots in of the new construction area.

pintrader

« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:42 PM »
I also noticed between Bears At The Holler and Becca's Weaving a secondary fence has been put up (The green one in this photo).  May not be anything at all but looks like they were trying to hide something.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
greta pics pintrader...  thanks!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
Great shots, Pintrader...I see they were working when your train passed by. I think the crew had gone to lunch when I rode the train in the noon hour! Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
GREAT photo's! Thanks!

;D Super Exciting!!  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Hmmm...interesting about the green fence...I dunno though, I doubt much would go there if I am thinking of the right place.

I wish I was able to go this weekend. This is the one weekend every year when I go, but this year I will be using my 4 hr drive to go to the KU Relays in Lawrence followed very soon after that by another 4 hr drive home! Nothing like sitting in a car for twice as long as you'll be somewhere. The only place I don't mind that (and the only place I have done that) was SDC several years ago.

pintrader

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
I finally figured out the mystery of the green fence.  What really happened is the white picket fence in this photo was replaced by the new white fence.  So nothing is really going on but a new fence being put in this year to replace the old picket fence.  It looks like it was put in to match up better with HDH.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Ya know, its funny the little details of things I remember. At Christmas, they always put the lights perfectly in-betwen each post, instead of just stringing the lights straight down. I'm a huge Christmas fanatic, so I love looking at how SDC installs the Christmas lights.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
Thanks so much for the photos guys! In the future though, lets try to keep construction photos in the construction thread so its easier for everyone to follow the progress. This thread is more for reviews of individual trips and information tends to get buried pretty quickly.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Still no GAC pics? :(
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
WAZZUP TIFF???   ??? ??? ??? ???

are you and I the only ones that go see the GAC show????    :o :o :o :o :o

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
It sure seems like it!  :-\
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin