Author Topic: Train Crash?  (Read 24506 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Train Crash?
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »
Not only would I ride the train right now, but I’d bring my kids.
Ot’d be great.
The wreck was a fluke thing.
That train has had a lot of miles on it with no issues.
I have full faith in sdc fixing it, and doing it quick.
If people dont want to ride, then dont.
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
Yeah it's going to be awhile. Let's hope we have a train next spring.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2022, 02:35:03 PM »
Not only would I ride the train right now, but I’d bring my kids.
Ot’d be great.
The wreck was a fluke thing.
That train has had a lot of miles on it with no issues.
I have full faith in sdc fixing it, and doing it quick.
If people dont want to ride, then dont.
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Not sure you how you equate personal responsability with negligance or improper maintenance or lack of safety standards ? Personal responsibility goes out the window when things are not your fault. Are you saying the people on the train were responsible ?

That being said I will ride it again after the cause is found and corrected. Hopefully soon but whatever it takes to make it safe.

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
Was at the Park this weekend and off the record some of the employees said they thought the train would open nu Thanksgiving.

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »
The Park is setting up a temporary location for the Story of Christmas told by Grandfather at the Tom & Hucks Stage near the RiverBlast Ride in the coming week per the train employees. This probably means the train will be a while but at least the Christmas story survives.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2022, 11:29:42 AM »
I too have heard the rumor about putting "grandpa" on the the Tom and Huck stage.  But in the meantime, you can sometimes find "grandpa" sitting on the bench in front of the train depot (or one of the conductors standing nearby); and he is happy to tell you the Christmas story if you ask him. I got to hear it myself this past Sunday.  It was really special even without the lights and music.

Also, I heard that the investigation into the train accident has been completed, but they haven't released the results to the public yet.  So, hopefully we will hear something soon.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »
I have a bad feeling the cause is going to be related specifically to 504. Not that there is a problem with the engine but simply the forces on the cars being a little different due to the tender causing the string lining that happened to the cars.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2022, 04:58:57 PM »
SDC's 1st engine had a tender.  Steam engines with tenders have been pulling trains for almost 200 years.  Blaming the wreck on the engine for having a tender will indicate incompetence among the investigators.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2022, 09:10:45 PM »
The train will not return this season
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2022, 02:48:00 PM »
Any update on the train?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2022, 05:09:35 PM »
Any update on the train?

As Swoosh mentioned the Train will not operate for the rest of the season. These investigations will take time still. The park then also has to take steps so ensure this will not be likely to happen again.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
I'm sure SDC will also take this time to do any other work they need to do on the RR, including cleaning up the old wreck site, etc.

Jay

pintrader

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
I'm sure SDC will also take this time to do any other work they need to do on the RR, including cleaning up the old wreck site, etc.

Jay

Wouldn't all investigations (or most) need to be completed before cleanup?  Of course maybe enough have been completed to determine cause that cleanup could begin.

Trevlyn

• I like trains.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2022, 06:38:01 PM »
The wreck site is already cleaned up. They silently brought the train back to the roundhouse, and everything looks to be repaired from guest POV. There is also new rail visible on the side of the roundhouse. The new track and investigation results are likely the only thing holding them back now.

I believe the steam train M&C are taking this time to rebuild and renovate everything they can while the train isn't running. Work continues machining new parts for #76 (getting some big work done on the bottom half of the engine). There are also many other projects for these 80+ year-old steam engines.
Trevlyn

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »

Jay

Wouldn't all investigations (or most) need to be completed before cleanup?  Of course maybe enough have been completed to determine cause that cleanup could begin.

The investigation has already been completed.  The park will announce (if they do) when they are ready.  I’m sure if you’re really interested it probably can be found online by the department who conducted the investigation
SWOOSH