Author Topic: Train Crash?  (Read 25601 times)

Kjbutter

• View Profile
Re: Train Crash?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2023, 09:36:22 AM »
I haven’t been following closely but is there any news on the status of the train incident and whether it will run “normally “ this season

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »
I haven’t seen any official statements, but they did have a couple train positions they were hiring for in early February, so I’m taking that as good news.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
I expect it to be open for spring break. I don't have any inside knowledge or anything, but without any news to the contrary that seems like what I would be gunning for if I was in charge. I don't know the status of any lawsuits or investigations that would hold things up. Last I heard SDC was actually cleared of wrong doing in some sort of investigation, indicating that the accident was likely caused by some sort of unforeseen issue such as a branch on the tracks or a sinkhole - not outright negligence. Of course there will still be civil suits. 

pintrader

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2023, 03:15:12 PM »
The only thing that seems a little odd is it is not listed on the website under Rides & Attractions.  Unless I am overlooking something.  If they were expecting it to be running in about a month you at least think it would be mentioned.  Maybe everything is not quite as clear as it appears.

Kjbutter

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2023, 08:40:47 PM »
Did they ever determine the cause of the derailment. I was speculating that possibly a bunch of passengers were rocking one of the cars and caused the accident. What is everyone else thinking?

pintrader

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2023, 07:43:06 AM »
I don't believe they have made public the cause of the derailment.  I guess anything is possible but I don't think passengers could get near the leverage needed to rock it off the tracks.  I would also guess that it was just wear & tear on certain areas & parts of the under carriage that caused the derailment.   

Like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop......the world may never know!

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:27 PM »

The train is not listed on the rides and attractions list on the website.

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/rides/

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2023, 05:55:29 PM »
"Please note: The Frisco Silver Dollar Line Steam Train is temporarily closed."

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/rides/frisco-silver-dollar-line-steam-train/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
Yeah, no news is bad news. Nothing to go off of at this point. I haven't been able to find any reports, lawsuits, or anything on the web about it yet. I can imagine any number of scenarios going on behind the scenes. I'm sure the park is doing what they can to get it open again, but lawyers like to take their time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2023, 11:21:26 PM »
Sections of track are in the process of being replaced
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2023, 08:03:20 AM »
Sections of track are in the process of being replaced

Uninformed speculation to the contrary, track is most likely culprit.  A soft spot under the ballast, a few rotten ties, spreading of the rails on the curve.  People looking for spectacular causes are likely to be disappointed.  Simple things like these generally end up being the cause.  SDC doesn't enjoy teh sophisticated methods Class I RRs use to detect these things, and THEY DON"T NEED THEM.  Speeds are so low as to already qualify under the strictest kinds of slow orders.  Loads are laughably small in relation to what real narrow gauge mining roads carried.  The equipment is, the gag spiel notwithstanding, as up-to-date as can be expected.

The simple fact is, the excrement sometimes impacts the rotary air circulation device through no fault.  A pox on all ambulance chasers and their jackdaw clients!  And, no, had my family been on that train, we would not being suing or joining in any other suit.  it is purely greed, and the tort laws in this country need serious and sweeping reform.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2023, 08:40:08 AM »
^Yeah... here's the thing though, the train freaking tipped over. People got hurt. It could have been much worse. There were babies on board. The speeds are low and the loads are small, but they are more precious than what a freight train carries.

We still don't know the exact cause, but they absolutely do need to use whatever sophisticated methods they can to inspect the track on a regular basis. They do it with the roller coasters. I understand your viewpoint as an engineer and I often hate on lawyers myself, but when crap like this happens you have to get real. It's a serious screw up if it was caused by anything that could have been prevented, which it almost certainly was.

The good news is that the Frisco will be extremely safe going forward I'm sure.

pintrader

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2023, 09:06:45 AM »
I know I have been there early in the mornings and have seen workers walking the track.  I would presume looking for things out of the ordinary on the track or with the track.  How often this is done I have no idea but presumed it was done daily or at least weekly.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2023, 09:49:10 AM »
Official update, it’s not going to be open on opening day.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »
Good to know, thanks for posting that. Sure hope they can figure it out by May.