Author Topic: Train Crash?  (Read 25299 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Train Crash?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »
There will be an investigation,

really hope it doesnt stop train from the Christmas Run,
Seeing Granpa and hearing the story is one of the best thing about SDC Christmas.
Prayers to all involved, Hopefull the "Bad" cases, arent really that bad.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 08:36:35 AM »
They do have more than one train, assuming that they are cleared to begin operations again. Managing the line with only one train during Christmas could be a real challenge though.

*Not saying that they will/should reopen the train this season even if cleared to. Jus stating that there is more than one train.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:13:31 AM by mg »

pintrader

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 09:13:02 AM »
They do have more than one train, so assuming that they are cleared to begin operations again, there would be hope for the train during Christmas. Managing the line with only one train during Christmas could be a real challenge though.

I would think it highly unlikely the train would be in service anymore this year.  This is a pretty major incident to say the least and extremely lucky it wasn't worse.  Investigating these incidents seem to take a while.  They do have more than one train but how many passenger cars are available?  Also there is probably going to be a pretty large hesitancy to get back on the train after an accident like this.  I know it would be in the back of my mind.  Surely this won't be an excuse to completely get rid of it......at least I hope not.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
They do have more than one train, so assuming that they are cleared to begin operations again, there would be hope for the train during Christmas. Managing the line with only one train during Christmas could be a real challenge though.

You are joking right?  You think anyone will want to ride it again?  I expect it to be closed the rest of the year and I don't think it will reopen until they get new cars and do some PR and finish an investigation to show it is safe.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2022, 09:48:54 AM »
I really hope all are ok.

Way too early thoughts on the situation: (100% could be wrong)
- Looks from the videos took that one of the cars separated from there bogie making it off center from the track along the curve and pulling over cars with it.  I thought I saw multiple bogies still on the track which is a bit confusing.
- I'm going to predict this was 'caused' by a structure failure of a passenger car. 
- I'm assume the train was not going very fast when it happened maybe even closed to stopped
- This couldve been a lot worse injury wise
- I doubt the train runs again without either refurbished passenger cars or new ones. 
- Terrible PR hit for SDC - Probably it's most rode attraction and now everyone will question if its safe and if the park is safe :(

Side Note - Ive heard that train has had a history of robberies....maybe they should investigate some of the folks who live out in the woods?

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
You are joking right?  You think anyone will want to ride it again?  I expect it to be closed the rest of the year and I don't think it will reopen until they get new cars and do some PR and finish an investigation to show it is safe.

Wasn't saying that I think the it will/should reopen this year. Just stating that there are multiple trains.

Assuming that it doesn't reopen this year, it would be great if they could have Grandpa tell the Christmas story somewhere else to keep that part of SDC Christmas traditions going.

*Edited my original post to make my stance more clear.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:06:35 AM by mg »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2022, 10:35:12 AM »
People tend to "get over" the fear of things like this, thinking "what are the odds of it happening again."  There have been train accidents and derailings (and I don't think this is a derailing as much as a structural failure) many times.  As long as the accident is swept up and the proper repairs are made (likely minimal, if any, damage to the rails themselves), folks will get back on that train.

After all, we're still riding passenger planes in spite of crashes that take lives.  We're still driving 80 mph on the highway in spite of daily accidents that seriously injure or take lives.  We still eat and take medicine...

I'm guessing they can investigate this pretty quickly, make the necessary repairs or corrections and get it up and running as if nothing happened.  I'm also guessing that the cause of the problem will be pretty easy to identify.  I understand they may have to await clearance from the authorities and the legal team, but they're also going to want to eat those visitors and not add them to the already bloated crowds during the Christmas festival.  We shall see.

I would even welcome just being able to hike the tracks instead of riding the train.  That would be a peaceful diversion from the crowds in the City.  I would even be willing to tell appropriate stories along the way if anyone would care to join me.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2022, 10:57:55 AM »
The train has operated without any issues like this that I have ever heard of since the 1960's. I will be very curious to hear what the actual cause was. The tracks are quite old and see a fair bit of use. I'm sure they do maintenance and they have replaced sections before, but the section here looks pretty rough.

Our thoughts are with the affected, but it's hard not to note how bad this is for the city. The train is still one of the biggest attractions and one of the high capacity rides that everyone can do together. It's absence will be felt during Christmas.

I don't doubt that people will have no issue jumping back on when it re-opens. Train derailments have happened throughout history and they are still popular. Ideally after this incident it will be safer than ever.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
The train isn't a "must ride" for me, but the mere presence of it adds so much to the atmosphere. I am headed to the park this weekend, and the thought of not hearing the whistle and seeing the train go by breaks my heart. I can't imagine SDC without it. Hopefully it's back up and running again in 2023.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2022, 11:30:14 AM »

Wasn't saying that I think the it will/should reopen this year. Just stating that there are multiple trains.

Assuming that it doesn't reopen this year, it would be great if they could have Grandpa tell the Christmas story somewhere else to keep that part of SDC Christmas traditions going.

*Edited my original post to make my stance more clear.

Understand....and I'll clarify too.  I don't think Everyone will be scared to ride again....nor do I think it is impossible for it to reopen by year end.  I just doubt it will reopen this year.  Have to wait and see about the damage and what it will take to ensure all is safe again. 

I'm sure the train will have plenty of riders when it opens but there will be plenty also who will ok not going on it again.

I also wondered if there could be some type of access back to the woods to do the Santa experience by foot.  Maybe use the amphitheater this year for it.....I'm sure they are thinking through ideas right now just in case.

Christmas will be tough without the train running....hundreds on the train and/or waiting for the train was will now have to find other things to do when the park is already packed (and sometimes many rides down when it's cold).

pintrader

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 11:50:06 AM »
I don't think I have ever rode the train and listened to all the bangs, clangs, moans, groans, creaks and not wondered what in the bleep is going on under there.  Yes people will get right back on but there will be people that say "that train had an accident, not me".  Just the nature of the beast.

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 02:08:09 PM »
It is all speculation about the train, if it was THAT train or the trains in general nobody knows. It's more dangerous to drive on the interstate than ride a slow-moving train. Maybe they will debut a new ride in 2023, a New Train? What stinks is that the New Christmas shows are terrible and now the Train may not run for the Old Time Christmas. Hopefully they run the working train and all the chickens can watch it.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 02:48:17 PM »
Updated statement from SDC: silverdollarcity.com/media-update

• 160 guests on the train (train has a max of 250).
• 6 guests + 1 employee were transported to a medical facility. All but 1 have been released.
• No life threatening injuries have been reported.
• SDC's CARE team went to the hospital to offer support to guests and family members.
• MO State Fire Marshall's office is conducting an investigation.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 02:52:41 PM »
For me personally, I won’t ride again until they have a very transparent announcement of what went wrong, what they are doing to prevent it from happening again(and that plan being believable to prevent it), and what other safety enhancements they are adding(seatbelts maybe?)

It seems pretty unlikely to reopen this year, I’d expect an investigation to take at a bare minimum 6-8 weeks but likely more. I do hope they come up with a way to have story time with grandpa somewhere. I think The dockside theater would be a good place for that, but I don’t remember what they usually have there at Christmas.

I do wonder if the passenger cars are just too wide for the narrow gage railway that they have.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2022, 02:59:35 PM »
Just to be clear the bogies “trucks” still sitting on the tracks isn’t an odd thing at a derailment. Generally the cars are not physically secured to the trucks just as the axes aren’t physically secured to the truck. If you lift the car the truck stays on the track, if you lift the truck the axes stay on the track. Gravity holds it all together on pins so if it tips over there is a good possibility the trucks are going to stay put.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)