Author Topic: Train Crash?  (Read 24504 times)

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Train Crash?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
For me personally, I won’t ride again until they have a very transparent announcement of what went wrong, what they are doing to prevent it from happening again(and that plan being believable to prevent it), and what other safety enhancements they are adding(seatbelts maybe?)

It seems pretty unlikely to reopen this year, I’d expect an investigation to take at a bare minimum 6-8 weeks but likely more. I do hope they come up with a way to have story time with grandpa somewhere. I think The dockside theater would be a good place for that, but I don’t remember what they usually have there at Christmas.

I do wonder if the passenger cars are just too wide for the narrow gage railway that they have.
More room for us who enjoy it, then. Freak accidents happen sometimes. The passenger cars aren’t too wide at all, they’ve been running for 60 years without issue and many years before that on other narrow gauge railroads.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
They will find the cause and they will address the issue. SDC cannot afford another "freak" accident to occur and turn out worse than this accident.

They will not reopen the ride until a cause is determined, and a "fix" is made. We'll need to have patience and just let the process work itself though.

Jay

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
Just wait until the lawsuits start rolling in.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2022, 06:53:32 PM »
Well it did officially make an appearance on National News this evening. Pretty good black eye for SDC publicity going into Christmas. Also it's interesting to note these were the newer generation cars that broke apart and derailed. I wonder too if there was an issue with the Tinder Car on 504 since it was also among those that derailed. Lots of possibilities to investigate.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:07:34 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2022, 07:24:35 AM »

You are joking right?  You think anyone will want to ride it again?  I expect it to be closed the rest of the year and I don't think it will reopen until they get new cars and do some PR and finish an investigation to show it is safe.

I for one, will be on it, IF it is running my next trip.
Perfect example of   
 "If it has T*** or Tires, you goin to have problems with it"
It was an accident,
find out the truth why,
repair the problem, move on.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
Casey Jones didn't watch his speed

pintrader

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2022, 09:26:12 AM »
It might be a while until they repair the problem and move on the way it sounds. The state's preliminary investigation wrapped up without determining what caused it.   The state's Amusement Ride Safety Unit will return to the park at a later time to continue that investigation with an engineering firm.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2022, 11:10:07 AM »
It might be a while until they repair the problem and move on the way it sounds. The state's preliminary investigation wrapped up without determining what caused it.   The state's Amusement Ride Safety Unit will return to the park at a later time to continue that investigation with an engineering firm.

Still, there is also some political leverage to be had, I'm sure.  The Herchends bring lots of buckaroos to the local and state coffers, and I'm sure they have a certain amount of political clout in Jefferson City.  It's not Halloween yet, and while I'm certain things have to go through the process, which could take some time, I also understand that strings can be pulled.  That doesn't mean they'll go through shortcuts to do the job right, but we may be surprised at how quickly things can be done.  Of course, with all the sticky government red tape, things could also go the other direction.  We shall see.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

pintrader

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »
I would think (don't know) the Herschends would want things looked at fairly well, just in case something might fall back on them.  The way people are today there could be a few lawsuits waiting in the wings depending on the findings and injuries that might occur over time.  Not sure but the Herschends are still looking at some lawsuits regarding Ride The Ducks which may or may not fall back on them.  Like you say "We shall See".

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
SDC has never been caviler in when it comes to park or ride safety. I am also nearly 100% sure they are insured for this and any possible accident. Lawsuits will be settled. Cause will be determined. The train will be repaired and it will be as safe if not safer than ever.

ACCIDENTS are accidents, unexpected things happen. Considering the literally hundred of thousands of miles in train circuits that have been made over the years. the train is actually very safe.

They will open the train when it is safe to do so, and I have no problem taking their word for it being safe.

my two cents...

Kevin

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2022, 06:42:10 PM »
Not sure but the Herschends are still looking at some lawsuits regarding Ride The Ducks which may or may not fall back on them.  Like you say "We shall See".

Herschend Family Entertainment was not the owner of Ride the Ducks at the time of that incident in 2018. Ripley Entertainment out of Orlando were the owners of Ride the Ducks in Branson at that time. Herschend sold Ride the Ducks in 2012.

pintrader

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2022, 07:37:45 PM »
Herschend Family Entertainment was not the owner of Ride the Ducks at the time of that incident in 2018. Ripley Entertainment out of Orlando were the owners of Ride the Ducks in Branson at that time. Herschend sold Ride the Ducks in 2012.

That is true, they were not the owners at the time of incident but they were part of a lawsuit alleging they failed to make safety improvements that would have prevented the loss of lives.  As far as I know some of these have been dropped and possibly all with the option of the state recharging......really not sure.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2022, 10:53:35 AM »
Just a really unfortunate incident for the city. A lot of negative publicity from the park this past year. I’m thankful that it sounds like no one was seriously injured. I fully expect the train to be out of commission for the Christmas season, as it probably should be for the investigation to be completed. It is in the park’s best interest as well to use the offseason to make any repairs which may be necessary.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »
At the same time, SDC usually gets pretty good publicity for their response to events like this.  The TnT accident was an employee and a different circumstance.  The train derailment has garnered somewhat of a positive response in some circles because those circles trust the company to be honest and caring.  Their reputation remains intact in this, even when they or their representative employees might be at fault or negligent.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2022, 11:44:37 AM »
Notice that the train is no longer listed in the Rides and Attractions section of the SDC official website:

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/attractions/rides/