Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141960 times)

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention that -- no more samples at the Taffy shop. :( :'(
I noticed that i wonder what happened that they stopped doing that  ??? :'( :-(
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
I am sure they decided to stop that because of the people that walked in and  was getting a "handful" of "samples"..  :o :o
I saw that earlier this year and it didn't surprise me a bit. :)

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »
We had a wonderful second day at the City on Tuesday. We used our 2 BAFs on our two friends and their baby boy, and we also met up with another couple and their 4 young ones. We didn't end up getting to the park until after 9:30, so no extra ride time this trip. We got really lucky (almost) all day--we would get to a ride just before the lines got long. We did this with Powder Keg, Fire in the Hole, and American Plunge.

We headed around to Lost River next. Five of us waited in line for a bit. We were 2 boat-loads away from going when then the line stopped moving. Turns out a water line running under the railroad tracks to Lost River broke, shutting down both attractions for most (if not all) of the day. Since we had so many little ones we got our wet fix on River Blast instead. Hubby and I had never ridden it before--we quite enjoyed ourselves. It got pretty hard-core though; we were battling so hard that I pulled a muscle in my neck!

Due to Lost River being out, Plunge had long lines all day. Noticed that they have built a wall in the Plunge overflow queue (old Float Trip queue?) so that you merely walk down the stairs and back up again, no going through the covered area.

One of the highlights of the day for me was riding the carousel with one of the little ones. I'm so glad they brought that one back. We had lots of fun just going as a couple, but going with friends (and kids!) was great as well. To watch their excitement at new experiences for them was a priceless gift. Overall a fantastic (and long) two days at SDC.

Also, If anyone goes sometime soon, can you try to find out about the water line? I would like to know what happened and when it finally got fixed.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
Fourteen hours 52 Minutes!!!!! I leave tomorrow to head to the city for a three day-er!! Whooo! Pray that it cools down some though. Or maybe the heat will shove everyone towards the water rides and my kiddo wont have to wait in line at PowderKeg long.......hopefully.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
I am sure they decided to stop that because of the people that walked in and  was getting a "handful" of "samples"..  :o :o
I saw that earlier this year and it didn't surprise me a bit. :)
Hmm that would be a good reason. For the record I only ever took one ;) :D
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
They told us on Tuesday that they only give samples if the machine is running.

I forgot to mention that the Pin Trading station in the Hospitality House has been moved from the back corner to beside the fireplace on the Cave side. It's a very nice looking setup, I hope they attract more folks in that location. Hubby had never even heard of the pin trading before and was quite intrigued. He spent quite a while looking in the book at all the different pins. Also, Joel Manby's book is in basically every store in the City, won't be hard to find a copy if you are looking for one. The TV playing Beverly Hillbillies was no longer up in the Hospitality House, either. I'm glad I picked up my copy of the DVD back during OTC. Guess I won't be getting a copy for my parents any more.

My one complaint of the trip: What happened to the frozen lemonade?? Instead of the think frozen stuff filled with little chunks of lemon zest that I remember being scooped into my mug I got a soupy, tasteless mess that came out of a machine. How disappointing.  >:(
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
Ozarks Gal,
My parents were on park on Saturday, and noticed the same thing about the Frozen Lemonade. That has been a staple of ours for many many years. Use to, you could find it on almost every corner. They had to look all over for the original frozen lemonade, because all they were seeing was the 'Minute Made' stuff.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Did they find a place with the original? I mean the scoop it up, little flecks of zest stuff.
We normally fill our mugs (all 4 of them) a least a couple times with frozen lemonade. This year I have filled one mug, one time and won't do it again. The stuff was terrible.

I haven't bought any food in the park this year, except a couple Kolachy on the first trip. We make do with snacks until we can get on the road. I figure that fast food may be "crap" but at least I always know what I am getting and how much it will be.

All this reminds me I didn't even do a trip review for our trip a couple weeks ago. Maybe that's a good thing because I was not particularly thrilled with the park that day. Including parking we spent less than 20.00 on park. We did use a BAF and found that process to be quite simple. The saloon show was bad. The atmosphere was just off that day. I need to get back and get a good day at the park so I can get the bad taste of the last one out of my mouth.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

righty1985

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
Did they find a place with the original? I mean the scoop it up, little flecks of zest stuff.
We normally fill our mugs (all 4 of them) a least a couple times with frozen lemonade. This year I have filled one mug, one time and won't do it again. The stuff was terrible.

I have the same issue - love the original frozen lemonade but can't stand the Minute Maid stuff. If it doesn't have the lemon peel zests I won't drink it. ;D

There is at least one original stand still left, it is the one near the Saloon. I believe that the Grand Exposition stand still has the original stuff too but am not sure.

The day that all of the stands bear the Minute Maid sign will be a dark day in these Ozarks hills.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
The stand near the Saloon still has the original (good) frozen lemonade; also the stand in front of the Frisco Freight Barn. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Went to SDC today. Didnt make it to the city till 9am......wont comment why. :/ It was packed to the gills. No surprise but still it was amazing. Did not see any shows. Rode TNT (still amazing!) LRTO, thought the line was huge but it turns out for some reason they are holding people on the bridge explaining the rules before shipping them off to the other line. All in all the wait was about 20 min. Not bad for that ride. AP was to the entrance so we didnt ride that. Went to RB and there was a small wait. 30-45 minutes. But it is worth the wait as you get soaked. FM was a wait and a half. Amazing for FM ya know. I took pics and will post them later tonight. I had alot of fun despite not doing everything. I dont know if we will go tomorrow or not. The crowds were pretty high today and my husband being my husband.....:)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
Sound like a positive day for you Trams!  Good luck tomorrow.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
Went to SDC today. Didnt make it to the city till 9am......wont comment why. :/ It was packed to the gills. No surprise but still it was amazing. Did not see any shows. Rode TNT (still amazing!) LRTO, thought the line was huge but it turns out for some reason they are holding people on the bridge explaining the rules before shipping them off to the other line. All in all the wait was about 20 min. Not bad for that ride. AP was to the entrance so we didnt ride that. Went to RB and there was a small wait. 30-45 minutes. But it is worth the wait as you get soaked. FM was a wait and a half. Amazing for FM ya know. I took pics and will post them later tonight. I had alot of fun despite not doing everything. I dont know if we will go tomorrow or not. The crowds were pretty high today and my husband being my husband.....:)

My niece e was at the City on Thursday and said the AP line was insanefor a Thursday but Powderkeg was very short. Maybe we could use that other unused flume down the road.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
great write-up trams, i know the feeling of a loved one being a loved one....
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2012, 07:40:28 AM »
Oh and I forgot, instead of free taffy samples, periodically they were giving out hunks of fresh made warm taffy.