Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 142199 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
What would be the purpose of closing off the seating area?

pintrader

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
My guess would be they had enough complaints about people walking thru in front of the stage, or walking in from the front to find seats while shows were going on.  This way they can only enter from the back.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
I wished I lived closer to SDC so that I could visit more often to see these suttle little changes firsthand...
Colorado SDC Fan

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
My guess would be they had enough complaints about people walking thru in front of the stage, or walking in from the front to find seats while shows were going on.  This way they can only enter from the back.

That makes sense.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
Yeah, people walking in front of the stage during a show has long been a bit of an issue. I know entertainers didn't like that back in my time on park either.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »
Had a great first visit of 2012 this last weekend.
Things I noticed:

I was sitting over at the Half Dollar Hollar...and I'm like, am I crazy, or is something missing? The slide is gone!

On the train ride, they said there would be a big announcement later this year RE: the construction over by where the old robbery was. We all know it's a new hybrid coaster for 2013, right?

Did they paint the TNT box on the Flooded Mine "I'm gettin' outta here" guy? That wasn't necessary.

Again, I had a great time and I hate complaining, but I could write at length about the Easter egg hunt on Saturday. It was a complete debacle in my opinion.

I was going to start a new thread on it, but I think I'll try my best to keep it brief and just put it here.

It didn't seem very well thought-out.

What it boils down to is my six-year-old son got zero eggs. Not happy.

The eggs were color-coded. Six year old kids were to take only blue eggs.

My son is six, but he's very small for his age. We were there when they first started handing out the bags to go hunt for the eggs. But when we went into the park, he couldn't find any.

A kid who was also 6 walks by, and he's got a heaping bag full of them.

I took my son up to the collection area and asked several of the performers "Is there some sort of consolation prize for the kid who got zero eggs and is on the verge of tears?"

My three year old son found 3 eggs, so when he was turning his in, one of the other six year old kids turned in his eggs, and he had 34. 34!?!?!

The problem is this -- when you make it a contest to see who can get the most, you encourage people to run around like madmen trying to find them. They hog them.

My solution: Make there be a maximum. Also, hand the bags out at the front gate when kids who want to participate are first entering.

We also heard of a family that was running around (without even getting a designated bag - they were just stuffing them in their stroller) grabbing eggs of all colors, not even caring if they got the right ones or not.

Anywho I was ticked off...but at least I guess my son got a lesson in disappointment and not always winning/having things go your way.

There's more, but I'm tired and don't feel like going into it.

Did anyone hear what the prizes were for the kids who collected the most eggs?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
A friend of mine went and she too had the same happen to her. Her son is 4 and was super excited. Didnt get a single egg. Didnt see any for that matter. They should have placed a limit on what you could find. No she did not find out the prizes due to not finding eggs so didnt mess with looking/listening for the prize. She said the Easter event stunk on ice and that she wouldnt do it again. It wasnt worth the trip just for that. Next year PTB, color coded eggs are fine so the age appropriate prize is givin, but put a limit on what can be collected. Really you get rude people on Easter egg hunts for some reason that dont have the decency to share the wealth. So please if you choose to do this again, maybe put one egg per bag you give out and have maybe 3 that have a prize and the rest candy in them....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »
Also, have a handful of extras set aside...that way you can sneak them to parents who can hide them for their kids to find them.

Believe me -- I checked if they had any extras. That's what I was going to do. But they didn't have any extras.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
Had a great little trip this weekend!  Made the trip in exactly 3 hours and went straight to check in at Homestay.  Dropped off the bags and went to Moon River for an excellent dinner with great service. Back to the room and straight to bed so the kids could be well rested for SDC.
Arrived at preferred parking about 8:15, had a few cars there but not many.  Turnstiles were running smooth and quick. Walked through E&D and got Kolaches for the whole family (it is one of our favorite things anymore), cruised the square, checked in at the Apple Butter shop, and found a nice place to sit and watch opening ceremonies. The kids lined up to get their bags for the Easter Egg Hunt.
*With regard to the hunt* My kids loved it, they had a really good time. I would completely understand if they never wanted to do it again. Before the hunt began there was a large group of SDC employees (like office type employees it appeared) gathered around, and I got the feeling that the event was a concern. Parents were downright rude in the way the treated the street troupe with their comments about the hunt. One mom was literally yelling about it being for seven and under. Another complained that her child wasn’t old enough to know colors. Many, many complaints were heard about the event all day, all throughout the park. In my opinion, the only problem with the egg hunt was the parents. Parents were screaming at their kids to hurry, yelling directions at them about where eggs were, bellowing to the kids to win. My 3yo collected 9 eggs, my 5yo got 12. They were thrilled and having deputy Melvin count them and joke with them was prize enough. That being said, to the parents who it was important enough to yell at your kids to win a 5.00 prize, I am glad that it was that important to you.  Yes, I saw a lot of empty bags, but that is not SDCs fault, that is more a result of those parents who couldn’t control themselves, the parent I saw grabbing every egg she came across and then later distributing them to her kids who had gone to hunt in other areas (yes she was grabbing every color and her kids weren’t even near her).  SDC doesn’t owe anyone anything, they tried to have a fun event and not surprisingly a few people made it not as fun by not being grateful.  I get the impression that the staff wasn’t having a lot of fun with the event either.  *Moving on*
The youngest is still about 1.5” shy of TNT ride height so we did the GE coaster, elephants, tea cups, then split up for TNT and HDH. Regrouped and spilt again for FM and PK, gathered at FITH, and did FM again, then split for TNT and HDH (yes again). Then headed out, but not before making a couple small purchases at the OM.  Lines at TNT were short and that group rode two and three times each time they were over there.  My son loves HDH, but the slide is missed. I do have a small complaint here: they would never let someone too short get on a coaster, but they had no problem letting teenagers well above the height requirement and not accompanying a small child run through the treehouse.  Seriously someone working down there needs to be vocal and not let them in, I assume that is why there is an employee stationed at the area leading towards the nets, PLEASE speak up and only let people who are helping little ones through get on that net area.  All the new signs and touch-ups looked really nice. The new quilt shop is nice, maybe a little pricey but some good kits and quality fabrics and they have done a great job of displaying the completed items. Weather was nice and we made it off park before the rain moved in. I kept a close eye on the radar (which reminds me, last year I was able to use a guest wifi network in park and this year that seems to not be available, it was really nice for things like weather watching if my signal got weak at the bottom of the hill).  I feel like I am forgetting something about the day…
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
Seems like the Easter Egg Hunt has been an issue in the past. It never fails some over eager parents go nuts at something like this. Don't feel bad, SDC Powers that be...when I lived in east Arkansas the local merchants got together to sponsor an Easter Egg Hunt and it was the same problem. Moms and dads and older kids pushing, shoving, being rude to the max, and the littlest kids being short changed. After a couple of years, local merchants declined to sponsor the event again. Maybe they ought to hold the hunt in a designated area, and prohibit parents from entering. Just let kids ten and under into the hunt area. I just don't know what solution to come up with here. Greedy, insensitive, rude people are everywhere, and will find a way to screw things up for those who attend these events with the right spirit.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
I agree with you, Saloongal.

I think SDC's intentions were good. It's unfortunate, but it might be best not to even bother with it in the future.

We always try to make it a point to tell our kids not to run while in the park -- it's also probably a force of habit from when I worked at Worlds of Fun and we were always telling people to "walk!"  :)

We tried to be calm and orderly when looking for eggs, but that obviously didn't work. Anywho...

I'll say I was at least respectful and calm when voicing my concerns to the employees. Really, all I did was very politely ask if there were any consolation prizes for kids who got nothing...

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
BTW - When did the rain move in on Saturday? We looked at the weather map on the old smartphone around 1:00 or so, and decided it was best if we started making our way towards the exit. We left at ... oh ... 2:00 maybe??? I'm guessing it started raining around 2:30 or 3:00.

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
junior,
where did you live in east Arkansas? i was born in Helena.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
Maybe for the Egg Hunt, they have a set amount of eggs one kid can get, and the first kid to get that amount wins. That way everybody can get eggs and maybe it would cut down on the parent's egg hoarding issues.

Or they could have set times (like an hour or so) for kids to sign up and its in one designated area. The kid who gets the most within the time period wins, they move on and then its the next group's turn.

I don't know... just suggestions.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
I have yet to see a public Easter egg "hunt" that didn't remind me of the Oklahoma land run. I think that instead of an Easter egg run they should have an Easter bunny handing out Easter eggs to any one who wants one once they come into the park. One per customer. the eggs could contain prizes. free taffy sample, 10% off a purchase, front of the line at your favorite ride, front row seat at your favorite show, etc.