Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141976 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
I was at SDC Thursday. It was raining, but we got there about 30 min before opening to eat, hoping the rain would stop. When we walked in, there were only 10-15 people hanging out around Main Street, then when we walked out of the restaurant, we couldn't figure out where all the people came from. There were a ton of people! And that was just as the park was opening! We walked around and did some shopping for a while, checked out the Echo Hollow construction and listened to people ask each other what was going on down there. Some of the shops got a little crowded, but not too bad. I attempted to ride TNT, but the line was all the way up by the magic shop. I figured I've rode it before, I can do without for one trip. PK was extremely crowded all day and FITH was almost to the saloon most of the day. I didn't even go over to WF. We figured the rides were packed because some of the shops weren't open and there weren't very many shows going on. I'm glad we rode the train in the morning, because we were going to ride it again about an hour later but the line reminded me of OTC, so we kept walking. It was good to be in the City again and see all the citizens, I just hope my next trip will be better.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »
I would also like to add, earlier in the day, there was a couple men standing on Main Street with an official-looking giant camera. I don't know if they were shooting a commercial, or what they were doing, but I was half tempted to walk in front of it a few time!

DougFromTulsa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
We arrived in Branson on 3/22.  We actually ended up going to Branson Landing the first day since there wasn't much time left and had a great time.  We first went to SDC on Friday, 3/23.  We arrived around 8:30 and had a great day.  The park was slightly busy, but the cool temps and intermittent rain showers kept most people away.  Rides and food lines were all manageable.  Then came Saturday ...

It was CRAZY!!!  I have NEVER seen SDC as busy as it was on Saturday.  Every parking lot was full (even the one 1/4 mile down on west side of Indian Point Road).  We arrived around 8:40 and knew it was going to be  a busy day because we waited in line about 10-15 just to park.  Once inside, it didn't seem to bad because we were ducking in and out of the shops.  Finally made it down to the Grand Exposition and I think we waited pretty much 30-40 minutes for almost every "kiddie" ride...  When we finally tried to eat lunch, I waited 35 minutes for hot dogs.  The lines were incredible.  I will be posting some pics of the crowds...  I think the staff was quite overwhelmed.  Outside of the long lines and waits, we still had a great time.  Any day at SDC is fun...

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
we arrived in branson on the 22nd. son, 7 year old grandson, wife and me. went to see titanic. not my cup of tea but grandson loved it.
23rd at silver dollar city. breakfast at the mill. didn't get the special table. better luck next time. Grandfather's massion, monster behind mirror scared my grandson again.
no show at saloon. tried to get girl working concession to join me in doing the show. she could be Tilly and i could be Bart. no go.
1 and 1/2 hour wait on powder keg. grandsons first ride. the look on his face priceless.
30 min. in GG. grandsons favorite place. had to drag him out.
train ride was great. so was flooded mine.
watching a car pull out of thurnderation not even half full, not so great.
since the candle shop was closed we did the waxed hand instead.
Hannah's on the way out.
bought 1 piece of wildfire taffy for 19 cents. i want my money back.
once again silver dollar city won hands down.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
OK>  well lets see....
We were in the Square before 9, it looked great with minimum signage. I Caught Terry Sanders 1st thing in the morning and talked to him for a bit..  (man! I think that guys must work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week!)..
was a little dissappointed at the opening ceremony, only had 1 person carrying yhr flag, but we said the Pedge of Allegiance and sang the NAtional Anthym.
Headed downhil toward WF, oh did I mention that we took Paige from Homestay with us? She and the other 1/2 was all fired up to ride the coasters, so away we went!... BUT on the way downhill, we passed the Lye Soap store and sitting out in the wide open was 4 new cases of Lard and the bill of Lading..  Looked out of place, i dont know why they didnt set it inside on the floor out of sight..
Anyway, did WF couple of times, slippede down to FITH, over to PK.  then headed for the other side of town... took a train ride took some pics and video with my phone.. but have not figured out how to upload from the phone??...
went down by the lake and had a Philly sandwhich for lunch. I love the sandwhich!
Took a look at EH, they are still working on it, had 2 manlifts in there and were actually working on it sunday..  I saw new stairs om the front of the main building and they are fro sure doing something all the way on top. 3 stories high.. Probably for the new western show,,
All in All a nice little visit to our city, not much of a crowd, got to see some friends we have met out there. Park looked great!
OH YEA!! 2 things..... The airbrush t-shirt booths are both gone,  AND as we were leaving the guy that always made your name out of wood, right there on your right as you go out the turnstytles is gone!! He has been there for a long time!.. funny thing, I didnt even pay any attention to what is there now... I think it was  t-shirt shop!  LOL.!
Oh well  be back in 4 weeks!  ready to go again!!.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
One bad thing about when I was there, I didn't see Terry Sanders at all!!! I kept looking for him, but I guess I was never in the right place at the right time.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
While recovering from being sick we decided the best medicine was a quick sat-sun trip to SDC! We called Paige, and she was soo accomodating with our needs-first floor etc. After we checked in at HomeStay we grabbed some lunch and headed to the park.

Arrived at the park about 2:00 on Saturday and parked at the VERY back of lot #3. After fighting the maze of barriers and corrals, we made it onto a tram and waitied over 30 minutes in line to unload at the front of the park. Upon entering we saw HUGE crowds of people wherever we turned. The chalk art at the entrance as well as the announcements were notifying guests of a 7pm closure instead of the normal 6pm. The crowds continued all around the park, at every area, and at every food stand (especially the food!). We saw a few new things around the park including the new Tater Twist Shack, the remodeled Pottery Shop, the New Christmas Hollow, the removal of the Medicine Wagon, and some new signage here and there. We sat on the porch of the General Store and relaxed to some Sioux City while being serenaded by the Sons of the Silver Dollar at the gazebo.

Sunday we got to the park about 10:30 and spent way too long getting our first family tin type taken. As a 30+ year tin type customer, I have seen the process in many different ways. This company that is in the park IS NOT SDC. This is Ashley Nostalgic Photography that is a bigger company with leased out space in the park, and many other places. As an artists who emphasized photography, and with a very good photographer sister I know the set up/ posing. This group takes nearly 30 minutes per group orchestrating the photo, trying to up-sell you at any moment. Everything from individual portaits to group shots, then they try to up-sell you on sizes, frames, mattes, packages...it was extremely frustrating with a 5 mnth old going through all this to have my photo picked up and see that it was damaged(yes I have emailed them about it). The park was EMPTY the whole time. it was so enjoyable and I would have stayed all day if I could have. We wandered the park, and eventually headed home.

My wife used the Nursing Station by Red Gold and was extremely happy with the experience, as was I seeing that while she nursed...I was free to roam the park!

Wonderful time at the park (despite getting a bug in the ear, and throwing out my back on Saturday when exiting the tram!)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
Great review Rube! I agree that Silver Dollar City is the best medicine. Although, in your case it seems to have had a few extra side effects. ;)

From what I heard from yourself, and others the crowds were ferocious! Hopefully that will settle down once the kids are back in school during April, and May. I am glad to hear about the various tweaks made around the park this year. Silver Dollar City is never stagnant which is great. I wish Silver Dollar City would use their own in house people for the Tin Type Photography. Silver Dollar City seems to farm out more, and more labor these days. Perhaps it is a money saving technique, or perhaps they would rather just pay for an “expert” instead of train really good employees.

At either rate, a tough day a Silver Dollar City always beats a mediocre day at home. Thanks for the review!

good fixins

• View Profile
SOOO EXCITED!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Went to silver dollar for opening day. Got up at 4am and drove straight there. ;D it was so great only three hours away yippee! I walked all over that place but alot of the demonstrator stuff wasn't open yet bummer.  :-\ but we rode some rides and it was only my second time going so I got to ride some I never did before  :o it was so great and then we had to go back home  :'(  I was sooo tired. The end!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SOOO EXCITED!
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
That was a mighty nice story, Good Fixins!  Glad you had a great time!  Ya'll come back!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
I like the different emoticons to help illustrate your story, Somethin tells me if you were to tell us orally it woulda been done in one breath.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
good story. wait 4 more days & ya gunna do it again!! ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
I like the different emoticons to help illustrate your story, Somethin tells me if you were to tell us orally it woulda been done in one breath.

I read it like it was all in one breath.
Sounds like me! Haha!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
ALWAYS tired, if it hadn't been for our little one, we would have been asleep soon after we left Ruby Tuesday's on our first night! (This little one was so excited to have mommy and daddy in the same room when going to bed that as soon as she would see us she'd start kicking and bouncing and giggling so despite my very tired state at about 9...I was up till 11:30, not much different than my usual time)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
getting off work at noon on fri., leave KC about 2-3pm for Branson West, this time tomorrow we will be waiting to go to sleep so we can hit SDC bright & early Sat. morning!! gunna go on Sun. for afew hours, so please give me some time to write-up a review & make a slideshow video. i will be thinking of all of ya while we'r there!  ;)
Live life like it's the last day!