Author Topic: Baseball- GO Cardinals!  (Read 88631 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »
OK, we're off to a shakey start.  1-2 against the Pirates.  But it's early.  Let's keep up the spirits.  We'll get it going, this is a good team.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

Re: Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
Remember, we were 10-17 against the Pirates last year.  For whatever reason, they have our number.  We can even up the series tomorrow afternoon.  There are 159 games to go; the Phillies started the season 2-4 last year--anything can happen! :)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 07:35:58 AM »
Yup.  I was thinking about last year's record versus the Pirates as I wrote that post.  And when was it?  2004?  We were very mediocre through the first part of the season, and then caught fire around the end of May.  Lots of games are left and I think we'll be in the thick of it at the end.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
Besides Carp is going today and I think he is going to suprize alot of people.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
What did I say .  A no hitter into the 7th
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »
Go Royals!  8)
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »
Yup...Go Royals too.  I can root for them, at least til they get into the WS against the Cards.  There just hasn't been much to root about for a good number of years.  But they're expecting good things for this season.  All the pundits say the AL Central is wide open.  Soooo....Go Royals.   

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
^^Carp looked fantastic.  We ought to be 3-1, atop the division.  But ya forgive Motte this time.  First game of the year, stepping into a pressure packed role, adrenalin flowing hot and heavy, it's not surprising if he had the jitters and a little loss of control.  Give him some time to settle in.  We've got the makin's of a great team.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »
Hey hey, the Cards get a win tonight to move to the top of the division at 3 and 2.  Go Cards.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
Wow, Pujols had the hot stick today! A slam and a 3-run shot, for 7 RBIs against the Astros.  ;D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
Didn't he though!  The best player in baseball, playin' for the best team, in front of the best fans.  Winning combination.  I'll never forget that towering home-run he hit in Houston during the playoffs a few years ago that just totally dismantled Brad Lidge.  Lidge was so shook that he didn't show up for several seasons after.

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:57:06 AM »
With Pujols we are watching one of the greatest to ever play the game!  He hits the ball so hard, though!  Wow!  That was a laser beam into Big Mac Land for the grand slam; the three run shot was a laser as well.  It was funny to watch the fans.  They weren't trying to catch the ball...they were trying to get out of the way he hit it so hard.  Watch the replay and you'll notice a little detail:  the ball was still climbing when it hit Big Mac Land! :o

Here's a new "This Is Sportscenter" spot featuring Pujols that will debut tomorrow.  It's hilarious! :D
http://videos.stltoday.com/p/video?id=3729361

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
That video is hilarious.  Pujols had a "human" day today, 0 for 3 with a walk, but Lohse was phenomenal.  He pitched a complete game 3 hit shutout.  After allowing the first hitter a base hit, he retired 24 in a row until the the first guy up in the 9th got a hit.  Cards win 3-0.  They're on top of the Central at 5-2.  The Cubs play later with a chance to get back to a half game out.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but ESPN's live updates on the scoreboard page are smokin' fast this year. I had the page up while my brothers-in-law were watching the Cubs game last night, and every pitch was updated before I could turn my head from the TV to my computer.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
I just caught this factoid in the ESPN report of Saturday's game:

Albert Pujols' seven RBIs matched the season output of the Kansas City Royals.

;D ;D ;D