Author Topic: Baseball- GO Cardinals!  (Read 88644 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
GET OUT THOSE BROOMS!!! WOOT!!!
SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
What is the current cubs/cardinals face to face record ::)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 01:59:50 AM »
One of my co-workers is a hardcore Yankees fan, which is pretty hard to pull off in the ArkLaTex region. I give him credit for hanging in there, though; he's a true fan.

Yesterday I was having lunch when he walked by, and I asked him, "Hey, do you think Steinbrenner is going to be able to get that rule change passed?"

??? "...What rule change?"

"Oh, you didn't hear about it? After that Cleveland game he wants a 5 run mercy rule like t-ball!"  ;D

"Maaaaan, shut your mouth!"  >:(

And he turned away and wouldn't talk to me again.  :D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 07:30:29 AM »

Ooh the've played three games against each other (all in Chicago) and are up one game.
I see you failed to mention that they had to take the Cards into extra innings in one game to do it and the fact the only reason they won those two is due a big bat in the LAST INNING.

Luck is what I would call that.  If they were a decent team they'd have had the game put away before the last inning of the game and not have to worry about last second heroics -- but what else do you expect from the baby bears?  Also seems like they (baby bears) are having a little bit of a losing streak right now (and of all things, against CINCINATTI!)
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »

This is why I don't care for many Cubs fans.  What's wrong with Cards fans celebrating the first sweep in St. Louis of the Mets since 2004?  We weren't dissing the Cubs or anything.  Our celebration was not an insult to you or your team.  You didn't see us talking smack when you took two out of three from the Brewers earlier this month.

And I don't care if we lose most of our games to the Cubs the rest of the year if we win the division!

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
I did not disrespect the accomplishment of the Mets sweep- We will revisit the head to head match-up after this weekend. I do agree that a win is a win- I am sure the Redbirds are also glad to have wins no matter how obtained. I am sure if Albert hit a home run in the last inning you would not suggest is was not a quality win. My belief is it comes down to pitching and I am excited about our staff. We should all agree to show excitement over our teams accomplishment. And yes a division win is better than to head to head which is why the last two years have been sweet.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
Growing up in a large family that is ALL redbirds fans and I being the only cubs fan- I enjoy a healthy exchange. And swoosh- lets check out your next series with the Reds- I look foward to your observations.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »
And yes a division win is better than to head to head which is why the last two years have been sweet.

Yeah and remind again how that worked out for you guys in the playoffs?  ::)
SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
Not so good- But it is sweet to at least have a chance to be in the playoffs. ::)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
Not so good- But it is sweet to at least have a chance to be in the playoffs. ::)

You mean like the Cardinals for most of the last decade?

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
People must realize that teams have cycles- and while the last 100 years for my cubs is lacking- the cardinals have not been able to find a winning formula over the last few years- look to the pitching Tony- look to the pitching.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
People must realize that teams have cycles- and while the last 100 years for my cubs is lacking- the cardinals have not been able to find a winning formula over the last few years- look to the pitching Tony- look to the pitching.

Right, because you know every ball club has a bad century.
Remind me again who has been to the World Series twice this decade?
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
I did not disrespect the accomplishment of the Mets sweep- We will revisit the head to head match-up after this weekend. I do agree that a win is a win- I am sure the Redbirds are also glad to have wins no matter how obtained. I am sure if Albert hit a home run in the last inning you would not suggest is was not a quality win. My belief is it comes down to pitching and I am excited about our staff. We should all agree to show excitement over our teams accomplishment. And yes a division win is better than to head to head which is why the last two years have been sweet.

I agree.  A win is a win no matter how it's obtained.

Here's an amazing stat--in the entire history of the Cardinals franchise they have never had back-to-back losing seasons!  After finishing 78-84 in 2007 the Cards finished 86-76 last year.  We would've made the playoffs except we played dismally against the teams in our division.

As for pitching, if Carp can come back in June and not have any more problems (a miracle for this franchise; as a side note, I don't expect Troy Glaus to play at all this season) our starting rotation will be pretty strong.  Now if Tony can find a winning formula with the bullpen by committee (and closer by committee) we'll have a fighting chance to win the division.  If not, there's no way.  I was surprised by how strong the NL Central finished last year.  We were in 4th place and finished 10 games over .500!

Last year my prediction was we would finish 85-77 and miss the playoffs.  This year I have hope, but I keep my predictions realistic:  at worst we'll finish 85-77 and at best 90-72.  We won't win the division but if we can finish with 87-90 wins we'll have a shot at the wild card.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »

Tied
3-3

SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
6 games and all knotted up!