Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157156 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »
I don't see why they can't bring in lower-wage workers and train them to do the "final touches" to items - and take their time doing it - and teach them to blow smoke about their "craft".

At one time I worked in a position that allowed me to view some SDC employee paystubs (the employees handed them to me themselves).  My word of advice to you is be nice to them, they are not doing this to be rich, bareley to buy lunch.  For as much profit as the corp may bring in they supply minimum wage jobs to employees that swelter out in the heat.  I see why they are able to attract so many seniors as it gives them some extra cash to go with their SSI but for the younger generation I think its tough to remain happy and convicted to go a good job at minimum wage.  Unless things have changed this is a labor of love.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:54:05 PM by mhguy77 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
Some find greener pastures outside of SDC. We have , for years,  bought items off of Blakely Wilson, Her parents had Wilson's Decoys in the park for some years. Her shop is at a prominent spot in Eureka but her mother and her typically are producing folk art to sell at War Eagle. Sadly, Eureka has been overrun with import crap as well.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Some find greener pastures outside of SDC. We have , for years,  bought items off of Blakely Wilson, Her parents had Wilson's Decoys in the park for some years. Her shop is at a prominent spot in Eureka but her mother and her typically are producing folk art to sell at War Eagle. Sadly, Eureka has been overrun with import crap as well.

We love Blakely's work too, and bought a piece from her several years ago. She always remembers us, and we enjoy our visits with her in Eureka Springs.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
Well, Gerstlauer has opened a new coaster at Hansa Park in Germany. It's got an enclosed tower lift (hmmmm....) and it't vertical along with the vertical drop that you see with euro fighters lime Mystery Mine. Here's the gimmick, as you are going up, there's a freefall backwards before continuing to the apex.  Yes, that's right, the lift is part drop tower. Here's the video, apparently they opened it up in a hurry and the theming will be completed in the off season.  The drop is in the dark.

This would fit with a first in the US marketing thing, possibly use the water bogging superstructure and the Flooded mine are  could add the over water effect, if FM was to go, wish parts could live on in dark segments of a new ride.

https://youtu.be/r1pfFIlleok

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Another visit to Whitewater has me convinced it needs.bulldozed and rebuild within a similar theme of SDC , by SDC. Terrain would allow for something like this.

https://youtu.be/hdLvXF-7BvU

jliehr

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
Well, Gerstlauer has opened a new coaster at Hansa Park in Germany. It's got an enclosed tower lift (hmmmm....) and it't vertical along with the vertical drop that you see with euro fighters lime Mystery Mine. Here's the gimmick, as you are going up, there's a freefall backwards before continuing to the apex.  Yes, that's right, the lift is part drop tower. Here's the video, apparently they opened it up in a hurry and the theming will be completed in the off season.  The drop is in the dark.

This would fit with a first in the US marketing thing, possibly use the water bogging superstructure and the Flooded mine are  could add the over water effect, if FM was to go, wish parts could live on in dark segments of a new ride.

https://youtu.be/r1pfFIlleok

The gimmick is just that, not sold on the indoor part, but overall seems like a nice ride.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2015, 10:35:42 PM »
After seeing the absolute crush at the park this weekend, 2 things are clear: The park needs a new entrance/tram station, and a resort is actually needed.

The new entrance has been an obvious need for awhile. The park simply can't grow like this when peak weekends are so busy that the crowds literally can't fit through the current entrance and exit. They always have to open up the alternate entrance, which is weird and tacky, and leaving the park can easily become a nightmare if the weather is bad or there is an accident. I'm surprised there hasn't been a stampede event yet with the way the crowd has to funnel into a solid mass going down from HH to the market. Plus SDC grew past the whole "exit through the giftshop" phase decades ago.

I'm positive there are plans somewhere for a new entrance, I just wonder when they'll pull the trigger. It seems like it's one of those things they've probably been planning to do for ages but keep shelving for various reasons. It's certainly a lot of expense for something that isn't marketable.

A resort with it's own entrance would help alleviate a chunk of the crowd pressure as well. Plus, the park is simply big enough for it at this point and they might as well pull the trigger on that and take the profits that are sitting there ready to be taken. We stayed at the stillwaters resort on Indian Point this time, and I can't tell you how much of a headache it saved us by not having to deal with the complete gridlock heading into the area. People were waiting 3-4 hours on the road to get into the park at one point. We simply slipped in and out from the other direction. A proper SDC resort would be even easier and I'd love to stay in the SDC ambiance all weekend.

I think we all probably already agree that it's a matter of time now that DW has set the precedent.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
The issue, that I keep hearing about - i.e. the hold up, is they keep disagreeing with how to handle the cave.  Right now the entrance/exit to the park goes in between the cave's major sinkhole and the tram back up.  The only real option here is to make that the exit way and build a new entrance elsewhere.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Leaving the park was a complete nightmare on Saturday. Something does need to be done and very soon i.e. for the 2016 season.

For pure speculation and fun, if we did get a resort with its very own entrance into the park, where are places in the park where that entrance could be?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
I also should have mentioned parking. It sounds like they basically ran out of spaces on Saturday, and they've been having to park people miles away for the park for years now. It's totally confusing for people who are coming on their first visit to have to wind through SDC's parking maze only to be led down the highway for several miles into an old field behind a bank. I don't know where they'd put a new lot though... it won't be pretty. I really didn't like to see the old valley filled in, but more of that needs to happen somehow.

Highway 76 is a whole other monster to deal with. There's something to be said for buying up flat land in Branson West and starting a shuttle from there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »
Leaving the park was a complete nightmare on Saturday. Something does need to be done and very soon i.e. for the 2016

First off, they need their marshals to actually direct the traffic to parking spots to maximize parking.  Next they need to have them help with the outflow at night. I don't understand why that's such a difficult concept to grasp. 

Regarding 76.  They need a flyover bridge to be at the Indian Point junction.  The light doesn't work anymore. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:44 AM »
Leaving the park was a complete nightmare on Saturday. Something does need to be done and very soon i.e. for the 2016

First off, they need their marshals to actually direct the traffic to parking spots to maximize parking.  Next they need to have them help with the outflow at night. I don't understand why that's such a difficult concept to grasp.  

Regarding 76.  They need a flyover bridge to be at the Indian Point junction.  The light doesn't work anymore.  

A smart NWAer figures out coming from Kimberling City is best for busy days but yeah, a flyover frees up the back up at the light but likely be viable in the park, with car height you are talking 30ft. In the air.

I know of two families this year that are not pass holders that simply gave up getting to SDC after traffic issues and did something else.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:57:41 AM by chittlins »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »
The only real option here is to make that the exit way and build a new entrance elsewhere.
Knock out the rock wall directly to your right after you leave the ticket purchasing area and walk them in on the employee entrance that comes up between the Hospitality house and the restaurant.
In with the new path and exit with the other.  At the end of the day run both the entrance and exit as exits.  They would intersect at the water clock.
They may have to do a little modifying and construction but it could be done.  Check out google earth you will see the path that runs around the back of the sink hole.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »
I guess they could make the sinkhole a feature and put a path around the rim. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
I guess they could make the sinkhole a feature and put a path around the rim.
Sure could, just cant get too close.  The path is there but they would have to reduce the size of the restaurant or the HH to accomplish this.  I dont htink they would want people coming up next to the candy factory.  Not attractive or a good entrance.