Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 175435 times)

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2024, 08:59:57 PM »
It doesn’t mean they can’t make a bigger train station, it’s possible they remake the flooded mine in a new location and then have room for an expanded train station.

I’d also like to see something done for the train station/line. I know it’s usually only really bad at Christmas but it makes everything in that area so congested.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #451 on: May 08, 2024, 09:59:17 PM »
When I was at the media event for FITH 2.0 the SDC big wigs said that Thunderation is undergoing a multi year maintenance overhaul so it can be enjoyed for years to come. SDC recognizes the uniqueness and nostalgic value of that coaster considering it was their first big thrill ride/coaster. As for the old FITH I directly asked about it and all they would say is what's not going there is a new Train Station.

Read between the lines.  They told you more than you even realize. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #452 on: May 09, 2024, 08:19:51 AM »
One has to imagine that something will eventually be done with the train station. Even on less busy days, the line is still wrapping around the "courtyard" in front and is confusing and unsightly for newer guests. I still wonder if there is a push internally for re-doing the entire area that the station currently occupies, including the removal of Flooded Mine. If they were smart, they could keep FM and just push things closer to it to make room, but I think that ride is on borrowed time regardless.

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 09, 2024, 04:59:45 PM »
Read between the lines.  They told you more than you even realize.

Just spitballing with some educated guesses here...

Rebuild the Flooded Mine at the FITH 1.0 location and use the current FM footprint for a new/expanded train station?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2024, 11:51:04 PM »
Major dirt being moved (if you know where to look) 👀

The future is bright
SWOOSH

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2024, 02:19:39 PM »
Ok, I’ll bite.  Where should I be looking?  We live 7 hrs away and won’t get down this year to poke around. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2024, 08:16:00 AM »
I haven't heard anything or been back since May myself, but I would hazard a guess we should be looking at the old Indian Ridge site the next time we visit. I know there's been lots of chatter about the resort eventually coming. Didn't a survey go out about it not that long ago?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2024, 01:50:25 PM »
We were out past the old Indian Ridge site the 4th weekend and looked like some work had been done far in the back.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 11, 2024, 10:54:24 AM »
Lots of clearing.  Lots of trees gone.  That view will be worth it
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2024, 04:50:38 PM »
If one were to try and see the cleaning, where is the best place to get a view of it?
I know where we are discussing, just not sure where there is a good view of it from.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2024, 09:57:02 AM »
So there's a former bank right next to that area that I believe HFEC now owns. Could probably pull into their driveway to get a few safe photos from the road, but I wouldn't stick around long.

Pulling into the actual driveway for the Indian ridge property would be more dicey - especially since it sounds like it is an active construction entrance right now.

There's also the water tower across the street with an access drive.

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2024, 11:20:48 AM »
I'm trying to make heads or tails of Google's satellite view.  Is the new SDC property on the north or south side of Hwy 76?  If south, would the terrain allow for direct access to the existing theme park? 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #462 on: July 15, 2024, 11:44:58 AM »
I had thought that they bought up that bank property long ago, but I just checked the assessor's map and apparently its actually owned by someone else.

A long time ago I can remember them using the field behind the bank as a satellite parking lot. These days, with all the expansions they've made to the lots, I'm not sure if they really ever use off-site parking anymore. The Indian Ridge property has obviously been used a few times, but I'm curious if they'll have to use it much this season. They still have that little gravel strip lot to the south towards Indian Point that is a lot closer to the park.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2024, 07:16:45 PM »
Got some photos today.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 12:40:09 PM by mg »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2024, 08:16:27 AM »
Interesting. If I have my bearings right, that's the south knob of Indian ridge. That's definitely the best overlook of the natural area. Wonder if they'll build some sort of resort tower there. Definitely a challenging terrain to work with, but the views should be awesome. Hope they don't try to flatten too much.

Thanks for the photos!