Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 160126 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2023, 04:22:24 PM »
I agree with cloning the beginning into the helix, and then doing a latched section or two without a lift hill. My only issue with Taron is the height requirement at 51". I would really like to see them keep it at 42" or even get it down to 39".

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2023, 07:05:39 PM »
I agree with cloning the beginning into the helix, and then doing a latched section or two without a lift hill. My only issue with Taron is the height requirement at 51". I would really like to see them keep it at 42" or even get it down to 39".

I'm didn't realize it was 51. That coaster is a blast. No inversions, a spaghetti noodle ball of fun. It was hands down the favorite coaster of our crew that included parks Port Aventura, Europa Park, Disneyland, Efteling  Disneyland and Tivoli besides Phantasialand.

colbrocol

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 08, 2023, 12:48:41 PM »
A GCII to replace TNT would be decent, but I'd rather they simply come in and do a proper replacement with a new "mine train" that mimics the original with some additional sweeping turns or something. SDC needs a true family coaster like TNT. It's an important part of the coaster lineup and for many of us that was our introduction to "big" roller coasters.

I love wooden coasters to death, but we all know they are a challenge to care for. SDC doesn't need any more challenges at the moment.

Thunderation was the first coaster i ever rode, I love it but can't hardly get anyone in my group to ride with me because its a rough ride. Anybody else notice that theres a dip or bump or something right at the end of the helix as you're going through the tunnel? I'm not sure if i'm imagining or not but it seems like they're running it faster than it used to be. Still a great coaster nonetheless.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2023, 06:43:26 PM »
Yes, that dip is there and it is VERY rough.  I love riding TNT but no longer ride it due to it being too rough on my back and neck.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 15, 2023, 12:34:27 PM »
^ Ditto
I'm Your Huckleberry

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 30, 2024, 08:25:04 PM »
Looking at the new fire district on the map and after seeing it in person, it sure seems like the pathway outside of fire in the hole was built with a future expansion in mind.

I’m thinking it’s set for future expansion of a connection to outlaw run/hi low silos area. Obviously there are backstage buildings in that area that would have to be relocated. It’s possible this could go all the way through next to the opera house to make a big loop.

My other thought is that it could be a future back entrance for resort guests.

That path over to outlaw run would be big enough to be a whole new land/district. If they are adding a new district what would you like to see?

The Outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 09, 2024, 08:46:05 AM »
Screamscape's reporting that the park is looking at giving Outlaw Run the I-Box treatment, similar to Lightning Rod's recent renovation. Anyone heard any actual rumors of that happening?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #442 on: April 09, 2024, 09:56:05 AM »
Years ago the rumor was that they would either have to rebuild large sections of it or Ibox it due to all sorts of issues they have had with it. I believe sections have already been rebuilt/retracked before. It's "only" ten years old, but it was the first to use this track type and with the extreme forces of the ride I think they encountered a lot of maintenance issues behind the scenes that luckily haven't been noticeable to the average guest until now.

I could easily believe that they are looking into an Ibox conversion. It's simply a cost saving maneuver over time. Not sure it will be the next thing on the agenda though, but I haven't ridden OR this year to know how bad it has gotten. Thunderation is already unrideable for many people, and as long as we are talking rumors, I think that might be the next one to go...

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 09, 2024, 04:21:28 PM »
I am not exactly sure what you mean by i box conversion, but I will say the New Texas Giant at SF appeared to be the same as OR to me when I first saw it, but from what I understand it has had the track redone at some point.  I took the chance and rode it and it is very smooth.  I will not ride OR, too rough,  plus I really do not care for the restraint system.

orangesandpeaches

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 10, 2024, 07:19:59 AM »
One big difference between Outlaw Run and others like Texas Giant is Outlaw runs on steel wheels. my understanding is steel wheels allow for extra speed compared to poly.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #445 on: April 10, 2024, 11:04:08 AM »
I am not exactly sure what you mean by i box conversion, but I will say the New Texas Giant at SF appeared to be the same as OR to me when I first saw it, but from what I understand it has had the track redone at some point.  I took the chance and rode it and it is very smooth.  I will not ride OR, too rough,  plus I really do not care for the restraint system.

Texas Giant has I-Box track - basically runs on I-beams. Outlaw Run currently has a more traditional wooden track style with a smaller steel running rail.

One big difference between Outlaw Run and others like Texas Giant is Outlaw runs on steel wheels. my understanding is steel wheels allow for extra speed compared to poly.

Outlaw Run used to have steel wheels... I think they converted back to poly in an attempt to slow it down a tad and save on maintenance? I seem to recall them having issues either way. The poly wheels wear out fast, but the steel wheels cause more track issues.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #446 on: April 10, 2024, 02:15:43 PM »
When I was at the media event for FITH 2.0 the SDC big wigs said that Thunderation is undergoing a multi year maintenance overhaul so it can be enjoyed for years to come. SDC recognizes the uniqueness and nostalgic value of that coaster considering it was their first big thrill ride/coaster. As for the old FITH I directly asked about it and all they would say is what's not going there is a new Train Station.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:17:23 PM by sdcfan88 »

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 11, 2024, 07:43:15 AM »
When I was at the media event for FITH 2.0 the SDC big wigs said that Thunderation is undergoing a multi year maintenance overhaul so it can be enjoyed for years to come. SDC recognizes the uniqueness and nostalgic value of that coaster considering it was their first big thrill ride/coaster. As for the old FITH I directly asked about it and all they would say is what's not going there is a new Train Station.
My Guess is news trains and possibly new track. Loc Ness Monster at Busch Gardens just had a refurb and it is also an Arrow Coaster. Hopefully they add a little more theming around the ride path also. Especially the second lift hill.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2024, 12:27:54 AM »
My Guess is news trains and possibly new track. Loc Ness Monster at Busch Gardens just had a refurb and it is also an Arrow Coaster. Hopefully they add a little more theming around the ride path also. Especially the second lift hill.

I always wanted them to make the entire lift and final turn enclosed to keep a sense of mystery to the ride which also keeps the final drop from being anti-climatic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 09:14:13 AM by sdcfan88 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #449 on: April 16, 2024, 08:40:45 AM »

That’s a shame.  It seemed like a good idea to get the train a larger station and more space for waiting during three Christmas season.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating