Author Topic: 2014 Trip Reviews  (Read 61995 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Trip Reviews
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
I was there Thanksgiving as well, and I agree with you.  The last hour of the day is the best time in the park.  I don't get the car thing either.  It was my least favorite part of the new parade.  Bummer about the apple dumpling!  I don't see Dickens every year, and I've missed it the last few, so seeing it this year made it special.  I forgot how much I loved it!  It would be a shame to see it go, especially when it's a packed house every time.  I got lucky Sat.  I was there early for the morning sale, and left as the crowds were roaring in.  Traffic was backed up to town and back to get in to the park.  Lucky for me, I was going in the opposite direction!   ;D

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2014, 10:31:50 PM »
Not a official review but Today was packed. 19500 was what I was told at about 7 P.M. Did not see any shows. I refuse to stand in a 2 hour line for them. Most rides were 20 minutes or so except for Wildfire at about 45 according to the APP. Got there around 1:00 and got out before the 7:20 parade rush out the door. I really think they need to institute some kind of capacity control. Just not fun and enjoyable packed in there like that. Might be my last trip.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
^^^ While I agree it's not as much fun with that many people I always tell my kids if not for the crowds SDC couldn't stay open.  We don't spend enough there to keep it operating. There were around 22,000 when we were there on Dec 6th but we still managed to do everything we set out to do.  we just don't make a very big list and if things are too crowded we just walk around and look at all the lights. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
We were there Sat., Dec. 13, and I agree it was crowded!  We ate brunch at Golden Corral and then got to the park by 12:30, I believe.  We decided parking in preferred would be the way to go to exit later, so we did that.  Traffic was already being routed to Notch when we arrived.  We saw Rudolf and looked in shops when we first got there.  We waited too long to get in line for the 2:45 Dickens, and we couldn't get in.  We decided to take our  five-year old to the Frosty show instead. As soon as that was over, we headed over to Dickens and arrived an hour before the 4:45 showing and were among the first seated.

After Dickens, it was dark and very busy.  My five-year-old suddenly wanted nothing to do with the train even though she has ridden it almost every visit, including Christmastime visits.  So, we skipped the train this year.  We decided to head to the Expo area to find a spot for the parade.  It was pretty crazy getting to the Expo, especially because people arriving were entering at Brown's Candy and merging with us.  Oh well, just keep swimming, right?

We did find some rocky ledge to sit on just at the entrance of the Expo where it curves towards the flying swings.  It was a perfect time for snacks.  We got our kettle corn and Goldfish out.  We probably waited 45 minutes on the ledge, but it flew by with snacks and people watching.

The parade was cute.  I didn't like it more or less than the old one, I guess.  My girl liked the Rudolf characters.  We also saw a high school band before the parade, so that was a fun touch. 

After the parade, we sat on the rocky ledge for awhile, letting the crowds go by.  When it had thinned out, we headed out of the area.  We did take a turn at the barn to avoid the masses heading straight out of the park.  We strolled looking at lights through the uncrowded riverfront area.  We finally decided to venture up to the square.  We did go up hill street, but it wasn't crowded. There were people on the square, but it was manageable. We even found a place to sit to watch the tree awhile.  After bathroom breaks behind the taffy place, we decided it may be okay to try to exit the park.

Traffic through the hospitality house was moving, so that was a good sign.  We also stopped for cinnamon rolls at the bakery with short lines there.  The marketplace building was packed, even with routing stops 1-4 through the turnstiles.  We finally made it to the walkway, but it was pretty crowded.  We were certainly glad our car was a short walk away!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:49:14 AM by StaceySue »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
^^^
We arrived at about 1:00 and still parked at stop 3. Not sure why they were diverting to notch at 12:30. Duelist, we were there on BAF's so I guess since I was in free I do not have much reason to complain, but if I would have paid full price I would have felt cheated. The square at the tree lighting was just a dangerous situation. No room for any personal space and no dedicated lanes for travel through. If someone would have had a emergency there would have been no way to respond to it. SDC is unique in its atmosphere but that atmosphere also includes very narrow streets that were built in the 60's 70' and are not designed for the crowds they pack in at times. I heard several people say the same phrase around me " There is nothing Christmas about this". Even Disney shuts down the gates at times for capacity. SDC needs to seriously consider it. If its me that gets shut out that's OK. I also saw the people coming in through the back way.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
I guess it's a good thing the place is that popular but I agree it is a headache trying to have fun there when it's really crowded.  OTC is by far their busiest time of year.
I'm Your Huckleberry

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
Runner, you are right about arrival time and parking. I asked my husband about timing, and he says we arrived at 1:30.  I was thinking earlier because when we ate, they still had breakfast items. I forgot we went back to our room for a moment.  When we got to SDC, the right lane was for parking and it was bumper to bumper going past the SDC turn-off.  I'd never seen a SDC flagger guy diverting traffic like that before.  There was no more parking at stop 3 by the time we got to the turn-off for preferred.  Stop 5's lot was empty at this time. 

I also know what you mean about the square, so that is why we avoid the tree-lighting.  One year, we did arrive on a Friday night and happened to get to town right before the tree-lighting.  We somehow squeezed through the crowd, but it was standing room only and no one was moving.  When we did get through, we went straight to the Riverside Rib House and had dinner.  After dinner, we walked around and caught the late parade.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:38:07 PM by StaceySue »

Fallcreek

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
We had a great visit on Friday, the 12th.  Arrived at the parking lot a little after noon, and had plenty of time to kill before park opening at 1:00.  The kids are huge Wildfire fans, so we went straight there and they got in several rides with no wait in line at all.  Headed over to Outlaw Run next and it was still a walk-on.  No line at all, cars running half empty.  Walked on to the Giant Swing next.  After that, we slowly made our way over to Thunderation, hitting shops, eating cinnamon bread, walking through Grandfather's Mansion.  Thunderation was also a walk-on.  Made our way over to the Opera House and enjoyed the 3:45 Christmas Carol show next.  We arrived about 30 minutes early and that was plenty of time to get great seats.  Excellent production!  Once that was over, we made our way over to the train.  Grandpa's telling of the Christmas story was great, the guy playing the role did a fantastic job.  We found it a little less magical now that screams and grating metal noises are so prominent from Outlaw Run, but still worth doing.  We strolled around afterward, enjoying the lights of the park.  Loaded up on peanut brittle and headed out about the time the parade was starting.  All in all, a very nice day in the City!  Our favorite time of year there!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:54:48 AM by Fallcreek »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2014, 11:31:19 PM »
No trip review for this year but Momma has given the thumbs up for 2015 season passes. This with two week long trips lined up next year. Momma also has a Disney Cruise on the itinerary for Feb 2016. Whew, Daddy going to have to more overtime.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Here's our Trip Report for An Old Time Christmas
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/migcrew/2014/SDCchristmas/

Don't miss out on the photos of Derrijk getting pulled up on stage at the Saloon
SWOOSH

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
Great pictures Swoosh.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Was the parade going 'UP' Hillstreet towards the square? (opposite direction from years past?)

Couldn't tell from your photos, looked like the parade was going a different direction; such as starting at Opera House, instead of ending there?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:16:38 PM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
No. The photos were taken next to FITH
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
OK, I see it now, thanks!

Thanks for the pics too, this is the 1st year I haven't been to OTC since it first began; having a newborn can make you have different plans. We'll be back next year for sure, and she'll be over a year old by then, so it will be perfect for her to enjoy!

I've been living vicariously through all of y'all this year, since we have only made it to Branson once this year.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
Wait...what?! No pictures of the crazy lumberjack tour guide?!  lol  ;D  Great pics like always~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park