Author Topic: Frisco Train 2013  (Read 7529 times)

cocodane3

Re: Frisco Train 2013
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »
Any pictures of new coaches?  Do they differ much?  Is there a complete set.  Are these rebuilds or totally new cars, if new, how will the old ones be re-purposed?  Wasn't one of the static displayed locomotives going to be restored?

The new coaches have the same height of the old ones, black rounded tops, and short benches. They are rebuilds, everything from the trucks up. No complete train yet. The top part of one of the coaches was used at the wreck of Ole' 82 and the other one sits on top of the evac. loop, I do believe. I'm sorry this is so choppy, but I hope this answers some of your questions!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
When we were at the city yesterday, I noticed what looked like pieces of one of the engine being worked on by the roundhouse, and then it occurred to me that I hadn't seen #76 this year.  Sure enough, when I asked the engineer after the ride, he said that they are rebuilding/repainting #76.  He also told me that they have finished the cosmetic restoration of the Davenport, and she will be somewhere on display in the city next year.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 07:09:24 PM »
Can you enlighten us about the Davenport and to what you are referring?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
Sorry!

The Davenport was SDC's first engine, the grandaddy, if you will.  Unlike the the engines in current use, is was a US engine but very light on its feet as it carried its fuel and water in a tender behind it rather than on tanks around the boiler.  It was retired fairly early on because, being light on its feet, it couldn't pull as many cars.  For years, it sat on display near the bridge behind the saloon and possibly other places, but, for some time now, it has been stored near the roundhouse.  Last year, i caught wind of a possible refurbishment, but it was only yesterday that I heard for sure what the current plans are for it.

I think I impressed the (young) engineer I talked to when I said I've ridden behind her. . . .