Author Topic: 2014 Trip Reviews  (Read 62002 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Trip Reviews
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
I never did figure that out Sandune, the weather held out never got cold it was a beautiful night.
I agree if they could upgrade the lighting package or the music on the tree it might make a difference.  I am thinking they were on the right track with the new parade and maybe they will look at the tree next.  If they did something different with the square and made it interactive it may make a difference.  That's an expensive tree and I know they have to get their money out of it but its time to invest some love into the centerpiece of the tree.
BTW, the last float that was mentioned a previous post did seem to be an afterthought.  They had simulated candles on it that were sharp and looked good but I am sorry to say that Jesus took a back seat to the characters in the parade.  They could do more with that float and I am thinking that they will soon in the future.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
Made a quick visit on 11/9. Got there about 5:30. Stops 1, 2, 3, and 5 were being used. It seemed as though many folks were leaving before the parade (maybe they had show tickets for that night). Had to use the back entrance (by the area where the cave pictures are taken) instead of going through the turnstiles. Park seemed crowded and folks were already lined up for the parade. We went to the 6:15 performance of Dickens, about 3/4 full. Then got some wassail from the stand in front of the saloon. First time we had tried it in about 3 years and it was pretty good. Then we walked around the park and looked at the lights.

Went over to the train station about 7:30 and got there in time to see a full station and a train leaving empty. Announcement was made that people would have to wait for another train and that they hoped to make 2 more runs before the park closed. Walked over to the school house to get passes and ornaments. There were 3 people working but it was going very slowly. When we got to the cashier we just got our ornaments and left so that we could get to the square to see the parade. I liked some of the new elements of the parade but have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Haven't figured out why.

I think it is a bit strange that if the park closes at 9, most of the food and concession stands are closed by 7:30.  Also the entertainment is somewhat limited if you get there after 6.

Unless the weather is terrible each time we will be going back as we have at least another 3 or 4 visits to Branson before the end of the year. Think our first stop next time will be to get our season passes.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
Biscuit,  I wonder why they shut down food/concession so early also..
They expect you to stay and look/shop around until 9...  keep the vendors open until 8:30 and then start shutting them down..
They had a fair sized crowd there sunday...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
I looked it up, and the current tree was actually new for 2007. Seems like time sped up or something.

I agree about things closing early biscuitcreek. Especially since I usually like to get dinner late after the rush. I wish the lathe wood workers and a couple of the other crafts weren't closed up for the season either, but then again they are outside and pretty exposed to the elements.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »
MH, I so agree with you on the light situation!  I noticed it as well, and made comments about it on another thread.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed the changes.  I don't mind the LED lights so much, but did you notice the big wreath?  I really think it spoils the setting this year.  The surrounding areas are Christmas colors and the wreath is lit with pink, purple, and green LED!!!  It looks very out of place.  Please bring back the multicolored lights! 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
We're trying to keep the OTC critique to a separate thread to avoid going all over the place with these topics. I've moved a number of posts over to the other thread. Let's continue the discussions there.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
The park was busy yesterday and had to open up the back entrance. Today looks like it'll be even crazier. We've been waiting a half hour just to get on a bus and are still behind a huge group out at notch. They're opening up lots down the road that I didn't even know they had. Maybe they'll break the record again today.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
The lower queue on wildfire is full. First time I've seen that in years. Haven't checked anything else out yet but I'm sure it's all packed out.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
The lower queue on wildfire is full. First time I've seen that in years. Haven't checked anything else out yet but I'm sure it's all packed out.

Were they running one train? Last year we went the line was out the door and the lower and upper queue was full, but they were only running one train.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
^I didn't actually stick around to ride so I'm not sure. Last night it had a pretty good line in the station with two trains running though.

Just a crazy amount of people there today. I didn't even know about the "bank" parking lot and some of the others that are way out there. They used about every single parking spot they could use today. I really want to hear the final attendance figure and see how close it is to the record.

However, as has always been noted in previous years, the park really clears out after each parade. After the 9 o'clock parade all of the rides had very short lines.

This was more of a family trip for me with my parents and my brother's family. It was a lot of fun to see the park through a 3 year-old's eyes. Plus I got to take my nephew on his first coaster ride on the GE coaster. Even though the park was packed out we got to do a ton of stuff and left with everyone happy.

I found it odd that both the Flooded Mine and the Mine restaurant seemed to have low traffic all day even as everything else was packed out. I think in both cases it's a matter of signage. The mine restaurant is really starting to be forgotten about. If you don't know it's there already, it looks like a passage to a backstage area. Same thing with the Flooded Mine: it needs a big sign over the actual entrance.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
I was there on Saturday. I have been going to SDC for 30+ years, and it was the biggest crowd I have ever seen. The parking crew was simply overwhelmed. We had to "create" a parking spot because there were simply no other options. At about 9:30 PM, the lady in the taffy shop told me that there were 24,000 through the turnstiles.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
Hubs and I had the greatest time at the park these past few days.  Thanksgiving Day we got to the park about mid afternoon.  Crowds were actually much lighter than I expected, so we were able to do everything we had planned to do - rode the train, watched Dickens, the parade, walked around looking at lights, and visited the Knife Shop.  Train ride was "walk on" ready.  I haven't seen Dickens for a couple of years and really enjoyed it.  The parade was nice - not crazy about the Rudolph part, but the walking floats were cool!  It's a nice change from the old one.  I knew a stop at the Knife Shop would be lengthy!   ;D  It wasn't crowded, so the Hubs spent about an hour talking to the knife guys.  By the time we left the  knife shop, the last parade was over, and the crowd was walking out.  Another half hour would've been the perfect time to just walk through the park with a cup of wassail, but they were closing.

We went back Saturday morning for the sale.  Scored big!  Hubs got the carving set he wanted for 25% off.  We got several 30% off coupons, so made stops at the knife shop, glass blowers, candy shop, and pottery.  We didn't make it before 10 to the taffy shop, but Christmas shopping is done! And, I didn't plan it that way - it just worked out.

My only negative would be Guest Relations.  I picked up passes thinking they were the season passes (wrong!), so went to Guest Relations to get that resolved.  Only one person working and two people in front of us - one needed a refund and the other was buying season passes.  Holy cow!  It took 30 min!  If not for the chit chatting, we could've gotten out of there in a few minutes.  Several people behind us walked out.  I understand the need to be friendly, but one can still be courteous, but professional, when there's a line of people waiting.  Alas, we didn't make it to the taffy shop before 10, but we had a wonderful day anyway!  Sad to think it's our last trip to the park before next year.  

As we were leaving about 12:30, they were packing them in!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:59:42 PM by Gilligan »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Made a quick trip on sunday....

!st checked on attendance for the weekend, found out about 20,000 on Friday, 24,500 on sat!(WOW!).. then sunday we had a modest 11,000.

Caught the salon show,, I thought I had read on thread previously it was an "all" new show.. It is actually NOT all new...  jus different from the summer show.., did the living nativity and wonderful life,., both were good as always...  although I thought the wonderful life drug on, little over an hour..  BUT a great show.!

Of course had me a Apple Dumpling, very disappointed the apple was not cooked and very hard to cook..!!  Will try another in 2 weeks!!,, Love the walking tacos too!!

Saw Shave for a few minutes... He said this was his last trip this year...  we set a "date" for opening weekend next year.!!  LOL..

75 degrees, all in all a great day...  be back in 2 weeks... bringing my mother who has not been to the city for 25-30 years....Should be interesting..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
25-30 years?  It will be interesting to see what she has to say about the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Caught the salon show,, I thought I had read on thread previously it was an "all" new show.. It is actually NOT all new...  just different from the summer show..

Actually it is, but feel free to disagree.  Yes they use some of the same characters that they have in the past but it is all new.
SWOOSH