Author Topic: Winter Weather 2014  (Read 28460 times)

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Winter Weather 2014
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »
Anyone experience any bad weather yet?
We are in the line for major snow tonite/tomorrow here. Anywhere from 3" up to maybe 15".
Right now, it is 33* and a rain/frz rain mix that is supposed to change to snow only just any minute now.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Weather 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:29 AM »
Here in Kansas City, we got 2-3 inches of snow & its about as windy as riding Outlaw Run! :o
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
A few inches of snow and some ice in NW Arkansas. Still snowing.  :-\
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
We have received 5" of new snow with the latest storm cell and it is still snowing.
The one that went through last week dumped around 3" and cancelled school on Thursday.

I'm wondering if we'll have school tomorrow.  Most of the churches have cancelled for today in Jeff.
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
Started sleeting and snowing here about an hour ago. Believe it or not, in some parking lots in north central AR there are still mounds of snow and ice left from the storm of the first week of December.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
Well I didnt measure with a tape, but I did shovel. It is not finished here, official reports say 7" here. After shovelling Id say thats about right. They are saying we should get another 4"-6" before its over here.

That was before shovelling. Now here it is after cleaning the car and driveway.

Guess I will head back out in a few hours and do it again.  The worst part is coming tonite/tomorrow. They are saying our HIGH TEMP tomorrow (Monday Jan. 6, 2014) will be -3*F with wind chills -30*F.
 Im sure I will be able to get out. Our road is not a bad road. The Jeep plows thru this stuff good. This is a dry powder, real easy to drive thru.
I still hope they call us off though. It will be very cold in that building. They set the thermostat for 60* in winter and 87* in summer. Leaving work at 2AM with temps about -15, better hope you have 0 car problems.
Tim

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
Mine, as well as my wife's schools were both called off for tomorrow around 1:00 this afternoon.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
Well I dont know if has completely stopped accumulating now or not, but I decided to measure now.  WELL--------

a view from the front

the neighbors back steps says it all--------

Tim

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
Near blizzard conditions, and we haven't seen a snow plow yet.  Local schools and business announcing closings.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
Jeff City and area are all out of school tomorrow.  We got hit pretty hard.  I haven't measured how much yet but I have gone out and shoveled once already... though looking out the window it looks like I am going to have to do that again before I try to get out (whenever that may be).
SWOOSH

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Here in southeast missouri, prodicted 6-10 " , may have gotten quarter inch.  Asked the wife where the blizzard was.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:52:53 AM »
Here in southeast missouri, prodicted 6-10 " , may have gotten quarter inch.  Asked the wife where the blizzard was.

Where you ask, is the blizzard?
Jump on I-55, drive north to about Sikeston/Perryville/ Cape . I think the newslady said that she recieved an email from someone in Sikeston who claimed to have snow. I know my brother in Farmington did.
Tim

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
Got about 7 inches in Springfield. It's hovering around -7° this morning. Forecasted high today is 2. Churches cancelled yesterday, schools today. Brrrrrrrr!!!!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
-7°F in Jeff City right now, feels like -23°F when you add in the wind chill.  It is just stupid cold right now.
MoDOT is having trouble keeping the roadways clear up here due to drifting snow. 

The forecasted "high" today is 2°F.  Not that we'll be able to tell the difference when it gets there somewhere in the 3-4 o'clock hour.  Water pipes have been busting all over town and in CoMO as well.  Luckily my subdivision has avoided that so far.  I feel bad for the snow shovel crew that is outside right now.  They should have came yesterday when it was warmer (like I did)
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Schools called off here today about 1:00om yesterday. I am glad I cleared our driveway yesterday! Seeing that it is around -21* wind chill! I did the boiling water thing outside ( boilin water turns to snow immediately upon throwing it into he air... If it stays this cold...no school tomorrow either!