Author Topic: Chain Restaurants at SDC?  (Read 20385 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Restaurants at SDC?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
We have been known to do the cooler, sandwhich, chips and a pop thing...  and it is a nice break if you are at the city ALLLL  day....

And yes I agree with Qwed, as a lot of us do... a fresh sandwhich place is missing from the mix... bring back "Jacks Sannich Shop"...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
You guys know that the mention of blowing all sorts of money to pleasure ones self for a short time just irritates me.  My family is poor, we live in poverty levels and in a poverty stricken location. I have seen videos from our pastor when he was a missionary in Brazil. I have seen videos from a local pastor who sends money and spends time in Haiti.  I understand the money spent in a 5 star food joint, could feed yourselves, and "probably" 20 kids in Haiti.

But Im not preachin.  I guess if an upscale restaurant is the recipe that will see SDC into the year 2345. Then I guess that what we must build.

I guess I just dont get it. We have several upscale joints in Branson.
Starvin Marvin
Joes Crab Shack
Red Lobster
Landrys
(The seafood place downstairs of The big Red Chicken) Sorry Ive missplaced the name
Outback Pub
Even Famous Daves to some degree.

I mean if you want to spend my whole paycheck on one meal. I have listed several you could do that.

No I dont think we need any more food choices in SDC (save a sub type sandwhich place). What we need at SDC is better food. Save Mollies breakfast-they are as good as any breakfast on the strip, maybe better.

QWED, I did not mean to hit a nerve with you ,but A nice meal out is one of our favorite things to do, and I do not feel the need to justify it to anyone. As for your list, I really do not consider any of them to be upscale dining, Marvin's is a buffet I think, and the rest are just mid level chains that rush people through like cattle. The closest in your list is Landry's but it still is not a nice quiet place with a resident chef. Maybe the SDC crowd would not support this idea, but Disney has done quite well with them in Epcot and most of their Deluxe resort hotels.But you also have a total different demographic. Branson as a whole lacks in the dining department as far as I am concerned. We never eat at the city except for snacks because we are just not into all you can eat buffets or the food they serve in the park. Cinnamon pull apart bread and a skillet occasionally for a snack.

A upscale restaurant may not work, but it might be worth a try to give us food snobs a place to try. Like I mentioned earlier Branson is a dining nowhere. I really like Buckinghams, but they are at times hard to get a table. So most of the time we end up at Reed Springs Pizza after leaving the park and save our dining dollars for other destinations.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
"Blowing money" on restaurants creates a lot of paychecks for the people who work there, who in turn buy other things with their money.  I can't understand why some people pay the amount they do for some meals...but a night out at a fancy restaurant pays the people that work there AND the people who provide the food, the people that ship the food to the restaurant...etc I could go all day as I teach economics.

The same is true for the food workers at SDC.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 11:53:41 PM »
but Disney has done quite well with them in Epcot

Le Cellar FTW.  That place is amazing. :)  The Brown Derby at Studios is really good too.

As far as "blowing money" -- I don't get paid all that well either, I'm a teacher.  BUT I also budget so that I can splurge on myself every so often.  This keeps me sane.  If I am busy pinchin' every penny I earn then I will go insane.  I have to have something to look forward to.  and while I love my job, it can get rather monotonous
SWOOSH

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:41 AM »
Swoosh. You pretty much hit it again.  That is kind of my point.  Im not usually hurting this bad either. Generally our layoffs hit right about the time tax money comes in. The layoffs usually come with an option to use vacation time for pay.  This time we was not allowed to use vacation. It was strictly no work - no pay.  It came as a surprise, and that is hard to budget for something like that. Yes we do eat out when times are good. Never fast food, never a 5 star either. 

I think it is nice that Runner and others can swing a meal like that. I just dont think "most" people can. And I dont think we need a place like that at SDC. Im not saying dont ever build a 5 star anywhere. NO NO- we need high $$$ joints. I completely agree as there are some that will patronize.  I just think that SDC is a more family oriented place, and 5 star food restaurants is generally not considered "a kids place".

If Runner - and all you others - want a 5 star. Im all for it, just not at SDC. Lets build it over towards Reeds Springs. Maybe Kimberling City, ETC. Maybe the opposite direction of the congested Branson choas.  More of an area where there is a little less "family" and more of a "couples" spot "Unless" SDC builds a resort onsite. Then I will agree, a 5 star might be good, as long as a cheaper "yet" still nice place coexists too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:34:21 AM by qwed94 »
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »
Well we are on this topic it seems....

We eat at Hacienda in branson, next to the Imax...

We can sit, have plenty of room, the waiters do an excellent job. we have time for conversation. there are usually 6-10 of us and there is always room to sit.

Typically we have the fajitas for 2.

With Paiges key card we get 10% discount, not counting drinks about 22 bucks..!!  not counting drinks/tips..

No, not a 4 or 5 star restauraunt,  but relaxing, decent price, easy location...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »
I actually forgot about the restaurant at the Keeter center. One of the best prepared meals and best service I have ever had in Branson. Only bad thing is you cannot get a glass of wine with your dinner. If someone needs a special place to celebrate this is one of the best places in town for food. They just need a wine list.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Alcohol on the C of O campus? Probably ain't gonna happen. See what you mean, though.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
I had also forgotten about the Keeter Center...  If you have NEVER been someplace with exceptional service.......  TRY this place......... 

those kids do a great job.!

example- if you drop a fork/spoon, before it stops moving, someone has picked it up and someone else hands you a new one....  simply amazing.. ;D

now if you have brunch buffet there you pay for it..(around 25.00 per plate).... 

weekdays lunch menu are a little more cost effective...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Plain and simple, Keeter Center probably one of the top places to go for a meal...dress nicely, enjoy your visit. Tip generously, they are working their way through college. I know, I attended what was then called S of O from 1980-1983. No Keeter Center then, it was the old Friendship House. Anyone remember the Beacon Hill Theater? How long since anyone on this forum visited the Ralph Foster Museum or Edward's Mill, or the chapel? A trip to the campus is worth your time.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
We visited the C of O a few years back and enjoyed it very much. Didn't get to eat at the Keeter Center though.  The museum is great. The whole complex is a must see when visiting the Branson area.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Went through the museum and the tractor museum in 2012...
they are on this years bucket list....
it is hard for us to visit them, we typically arrive on sat afternoon and go home on Monday morning and the museum is closed on sunday of course...
 BUT we will get there somehow this year.!
guarantee it!...
 Love that place..

RJW

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »
They have already gotten rid of Aunt Poly's for an "authentic, 1880's Ozark Mountain Pizza Parlor! Now you want Mickey D's, and Jack-in- the-Box!
NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!