Author Topic: Chain Restaurants at SDC?  (Read 20392 times)

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Restaurants at SDC?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
Perhaps instead of chain restaurants we need buffet style like Dolly wood. I know there are two of these at SDC but I've never been impressed with the value of them. The mine restaurant brings back memories of the place but the food doesn't stick in my memory as a kid. The place I ate at in Dolly wood was a bit expensive 50 dollars for 2 adults and 2 kids but the food was amazing! I wouldn't want more buffets and less sit down but a couple more with a more developed menu could be nice. Dolly wood had 3 basically a low price one, a medium price one and a high price one.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
Injun Joe, I think you are referring to the Wagon Works or Lumber Camp Restaurants...those are the two big hamburger places on park.  :)
Well, generally I think things are just fine.   And I definitely don't want any real chains.   But I think a McDugan's or something along that line could work.   I'm picturing "Dozens served" and "now with three locations to serve you:  right here,  out back yonder, and over thar a spell."  You catch my drift?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 05:56:08 PM »
Well maybe a Taco-Tico? Taco Bell or Taco Johns?   ;)

Open all year... EXCEPT OTC!!  I like my Walking Tacos!!!! ;D

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
There's only one I would approve of. Nellie's. Headquartered in Walnut Grove, MN. ;)

I guess I could judge more accurately if I had ever heard of Nellies, much less eaten there.

I'm guessing you don't watch Little House on the Prairie. My reference to Nellie's was tongue in cheek.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
I would take a Reed Springs Pizza Shop at SDC.  Best pizza in the four state area.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »
AHHHH !!! Nellies on Little House. DUH! Where was I?  No I dont get to watch Little House much anymore. It comes on here at 2 PM. However I leave for work between 2 and 2:15 PM.  But NO I sure didnt put Nellies and Little House together for some dumb reason.

So OK Larson Six. I will give this one to you.  I would also welcome Nellies. (NOW ANYWAY).

I still dont think we need chain restaurants. We just need to improve the food quality in the places we already have.   I mean 10 years ago. SDC food shops was GOOOOOODD!!!  Now they are mediocre at the very best.   Save Mollies for breakfast.  The food at SDC is not too good nowadays.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
Nah, I caught the "Nellie's" thing. I hear the gal and her mom who ran the place were B----he's! (Ha!)  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »
I wouldn't mind an 1880s themed mock chain hamburger place.   That could be fun.   

So, Wendy's?  That's the origin of their theme.  ;)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
A catfish/seaford buffet along the lake front. A steak place around the Wilson's Farm/Outlaw Run spur.  And since we are on a more western theme with outlaw run, how about some Chinese.

I almost had my wife to let me hit the Prime Rib all you can eat but she still balked at it during OTC.

As for shopping, my mom and wife would rather do this but they say it's getting stale. And with OTC seemingly ever growing. Maybe a old themed dry goods store with USA made clothing and such. Even an Outfitters store front with outdoors and hunting stuff sans the guns and ammo.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Check out the Website "Mollyjoggers" it is an outfitter and has unique, unusual items. An Ozarks centered business. I think a shop at the Ozark Marketplace for their stuff would be great.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
I think Wendy's was named after Dave Thomas's daughter.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »
I think Wendy's was named after Dave Thomas's daughter.

NAW--didnt you ever hear that when (what is now SDC) started in the 1800s. It was named after the founder "WENDY THOMAS"  YUP, it was called Wendy City back then. However the City of Chicago took (wind :o) of this, and filed a lawsuit, because the city of Chicago had a patent on the name "The Windy City"

;D ;D ;D ;D    (Of course Im full of ****) but I couldnt resist this.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Wendy's was named for his daughter, but the original tables looked suspiciously like the SDC shopping bags with advertising from the old days.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
Qwed,,,,, NOT sure, but if i had a restaraunt.....I dont think I would want to be known for being the "Wendy city".......... 

LOL.... 

unless of course my specialty was Chili or Ham and beans...... ;)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
They do have good chili.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating