Author Topic: Mystery Photo  (Read 39720 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Mystery Photo
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
I wanted to play an alternative game to our "Where in the City" by offering on my Flickr site an old mystery photo and giving everyone a chance to identify it. The photo is from 1979. On stage at the theater is the talented D.A. Calloway, a musician and singer, and he is putting on a music and comedy show to entertain guests. My questions for all of you:  1) What is the name of the theater he is performing at? and 2) How is the structure utilized in 2012? The little outdoor theater pictured is long gone, the theater does not exist. The stage is still in the original location but it is utilizedfor a different purpose. Clue: look at the roofline of the structure. By the way, D.A. Calloway still works on park as a manager or director of some type in the Entertainment Department. But no more singing and playing for him today. Take a guess...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Mystery Photo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
the magician shop outside of Thunderation
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
BINGO! Well, I guess I should have limited this to guests of SDC only, not employees or former employees. The roofline of the magic shop is the roof of the old Valley Theater. Even the towerlike structure on the roof is still there today. I suppose I will have to try to pull more obscure photos from my vaults for any other attempts at this little game!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
I have added a second mystery photo to my Flickr site. Look closely at the photo. Click "enlarge" and read the full caption. Can you tell me the location on park today? What was that location called back in 1979 when the photo was taken? Bonus point for anyone who can tell  me where the metal chairs (around the tables) are located on park today.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan   Current and former "citizens" are not allowed to play this round. Give it a try!

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »
The cluster of grapes leads me to think this is the Vineyard restaurant, now the Wagon Works Grill. I know I've sat in these chairs at sometime. First thought is Hannah's Ice Cream.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »
Ahh puppet show.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Well, I just can't fool a SDC expert...and there are so many at this Website! It is the Welch's Vineyard Restaurant, now the Wagonworks. Can anyone tell me where the chairs used in the Vineyard are now located on park? I noticed on my last trip the chairs have new bottoms in them, but the rest of the metal chairs (though refurbished) are still in use. So, that bonus point is still up for grabs! (Oh, Rube is right, too! The stage and the wagon behind it in the photo were used for the famous "Wally Welch Review Puppet Show.")

Count So Far:

BETAMIKE............1 Point
OZARKS GAL.........1 Point
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:50:52 PM by Junior »

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
Are the chairs at the Lady Liberty Pavilion in GE?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »
Are the chairs at Aunt Polly's?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »
And the bonus point goes to...OZARKS GAL! (Her second guess...Lady Liberty Pavillion, GE)

The tally so far:

OZARKS GAL..........2
Betamike...............1

Mystery Photo #3 is now posted on Flickr. Where was the sign pictured in this 1981 shot located on park? The building is still in use today, but for another purpose.    

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:50:14 PM by Junior »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
The toss test was rube dugans diving bell in line game. This is lost river building.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
I'm not making these photo contests hard enough!

The Toss Test was a line game for those waiting to go into the diving bell. MISSIN is the winner this round! Participants tossed life rings on a pole hanging from the side of the building. They practiced tossing life rings just in case the diving bell crashed and an emergency exit was required.

SO FAR WE HAVE:

OZARKS GAL..........2
Betamike...............1
Missin...................1

Mystery Photo #4: Shows a winter construction project, winter of 1981-1982. What was the structure under construction originally used for, and what is housed in it in 2012? I'm really trying to trick you on this one. Good luck!        http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:30:28 PM by Junior »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
My logical guess would be the shop outside of the original scrimshaw (it now sells shells and prints).  the original items sold during this time were duck decoys.

Now, if you are talking about Shanty Town (which it could be) then there's your answer...and the answer for 2012 would be nothing since it's gone.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
WE HAVE A WINNER! (I am just not making this hard enough.) Betamike is correct. The duck decoy shop make its initial appearance to guests in 1982. It now is Dugan's Trading Company.  I figured I'd have a half dozen people guess Shantytown, but that did not appear until the 1984 season.

OZARKS GAL.....2
BETAMIKE........2
Trams.............1

Mystery Photo #5: What is the original use of the log structure in the background of this photo from 1983? What is the building used for today, in 2012?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:34:03 PM by Junior »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
Originally the Butterfield Stagecoach Depot...now part of the Lumbercamp.