Author Topic: Mystery Photo  (Read 39721 times)

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Photo
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Slantin' Sam's Mine Shack.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
Grandfathers Mansion
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Ozarks Gal, you sure are quick!!

Man I miss that waterfall, another lost attraction that fell by the way-side.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Haha! I just happened to check soon after he posted the new one. I'm just lucky ;)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
OZARKS GAL Keeps the lead! Indeed, Slantin' Sam the Miners Shack was originally on this site. The basement playroom of Grandfather's Mansion is the original portion of Slantin' Sams ole gravity house attraction.

TOTALS:

OZARKS GAL.....8
Pintrader..........5
Betamike..........4
Trams..............2
Okiebluegrass....1
Zephon............1

--

MYSTERY PHOTO #20: Main Street, SDC, 1978. Question: Name this now "lost" show/attraction that entertained thousands of SDC guests in the 1970s and 1980s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:33:09 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
The Rainmaker!

In front of the Vineyard, now Wagon Works.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
Yup, Rainmaker Show. DollarCityBoy gets the point!

TOTALS:

OZARKS GAL.....8
Pintrader..........5
Betamike..........4
Trams..............2
Okiebluegrass....1
Zephon............1
DollarCityBoy....1

SOOOOOOOOOOO...That was my version of Twenty Questions. I wanted to pull some of the photos from my scrapbook that had not been posted before. Most of them have not seen the light of day for over 20 years, so I hope you enjoyed seeing them, and responding to the questions. My goal with this was not so much to copycat Rube's "Where in the City" thread, but to talk more about some of the places around SDC that have changed and show you a few of the citizens of the past I remember so well. Hope you have enjoyed this game. I'm going to give it a rest for a while, but sometime in the future I'll pull out the photo albums again. Most of the questions were easy to answer, I only stumped you all once. You all know alot about that special theme park built above a cave the the beautiful Missouri Ozarks!!!   ;) :D ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Junior, thanks for digging into your archive and sharing with us! I know I had fun. :D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
Awesome work Junior, and lots of fun! Hopefully, we can all play again soon.  ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »
I still have many photos in that scrapbook that have not been posted, and alot of things in my personal work files from that time...old company newsletters, scripts, costume shop reciepts, pay stubs, EVERYTHING I got from management while working there, I kept. It's all been closed up in my files, just waiting for sdcfans to appear so the files can be OPENED again!  ;)

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Junior,
Really enjoyed the entire series of Mystery Photo shots and I appreciate the time it took to put them together.  I think they added a little bit of extra magic for me because the bulk of the time I spent at SDC as a kid was just after the time frame that these were taken...they are pictures of SDC as I remember it.  I don't remember the rainmaker or diving bell, but everything from GM to the blackpowder shooting demonstrations, to John Corbin, to the costumes the citizens were wearing matches perfectly to my memories from SDC in the 80's and 90's.  Thanks again for all your hard work and if you find more please post!
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll pull a few more photos out of the scrapbook sometime again. This is really a fun little game for off season. Right now there is a lot going on, and summer is here...so many will be going to the park and creating a few more memories worth repeating. We'll concentrate on that for now! :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
Enjoy the mystery photos for a few more days. I will "purge" my Flickr site in a week or so. I have got to make more space for new photos from park visits.

jamlam1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »
The photo is an end of the summer meeting of Young Life, the Christian organization that supplied college aged students to the park for about 12 weeks to help in various capacities. The college kids were paid, and the people in the photo were a couple that owned a small resort on Table Rock Lake near Kimberling City that the Young Life people stayed at all summer. Jack Herschend is seen presenting the couple, whose names I cannot remember, with a certificate of appreciation for their work with the Young Life program that summer. Several of the Juniors at the diving bell were in the Young Life program. I attended some meetings of Young Life over the summer of 1980. It was always fun, a prayer, devotional, some kind of religious based skit or program, and after the program, many Young Life participants and their guests would go to the Pizza Corral at Kimberling City for pizza, Cokes, and to watch silent movies the restaurant ran. I remember seeing a Buster Keaton flick one evening. My pal, Russ Maulden, who worked diving bell maintenance all those years ago, and who made a career at SDC, even married a lovely young gal that was in the Young Life program. I think Young Life operates a hostel across Highway 76 adjacent to the employee parking lot today. I am glad to know the Young Life program continues at SDC, one of the many Christian based programs they have been involved in for decade

Just started looking around this site at some of the posts and came across this...I remember the Pizza Corral!!Browsing around here has sure brought back some memories...Thanks

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »
Jamlam, welcome!