Author Topic: Mystery Photo  (Read 39723 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Photo
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Keep guessing.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
To me it looks like the building next to the pork rinds on the bottom of Hill Street. If so, not sure about the original use...

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
Alright, today it's the quilt shop, used to be Mountain Taffy
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:12:07 AM »
Well, so far, two "half right answers." Think about it. Look at clues in the photo.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »
 ??? Well, putting two half-right answers together: It used to be the Butterfield Stage Depot, and is now sitting on Cardiac Hill between the Pork Rinds stand and Flossie's Fried Fancies, so it's probably used to sell something else fried!

"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
The skillet / chip stand next to the Lumber camp. Not the new stand but the one on the side, leading to the waterfall.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:39 AM »
Total so far:

OZARKS GAL..........3
Betamike...............2
Trams...................1

In fact, it is the old Butterfield Stagecoach Depot, which in recent years has been remodeled into part of the fried foods joint next to the furniture factory. I'm sure the old log building is hidden today under the siding that has been put on it.  

Mystery Photo #6:  What attraction was the fellow in the picture working at in 1983? (This will probably be a really easy one to guess.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:43:29 AM by Junior »

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
American Plunge?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
OZARKS GAL..........4
Betamike...............2
Trams...................1
---
You can see the lift  hill for the American Plunge over the fellows shoulder!

Mystery Photo #7: 1981 photo of my friend, Bob, from Granite City, IL. He was a Junior like me. In the background you will see some barrels and a big banner, in the lake, some structures on the water, and along the rope fence, coin boxes for the structures in the lake. All that stuff was part of a short lived attraction along Lake Silver. Can you name that attraction?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:23:12 AM by Junior »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Greedy Brothers Excursions

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
The short-lived remote boat maze?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
Still, no clear winner on this mystery photo. Ozarks Gal is headed in the right direction, but not totally on target yet. Keep guessing!

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
The Paid Games area?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »
BINGO!

OZARKS GAL.....5
Betamike..........2
Trams..............1

The Paid Games area included the games "ball and jack," "jacob's ladder," and the remote controlled boats in the lake. Guests paid a small amount for playing games, and if they won they got a prize, something small, like a SDC mug, or something of that nature. Later, paid games were made "free" and the attendants challenged people to climb jacob's ladder. Greedy Bros. Excursion was part of the Shantytown addition by the lake, and appeared for the first time in 1984. The Paid Games area was removed in '83 or '84. According to what others posted here, some of the paid games were brought back a few years later, in the later '80s or in the '90s at some point, and included other games, too. Rube has posted scans of ribbons he won playing games at the second incarnation of the paid games, which I think was located in the area about where the pathway winds up from Geyser Gulch up past the pottery shop  to the railroad tracks, but, you will have to get someone else to verify that as it was after my time on park.

Mystery Photo #8: The man pictured in 1980, along with a partner, had a special entertainment function on park for most of the season. What was the function/show(s) he and his partner were involved in, and where was the photo taken on park? You will see to the left of the shot the blurry leg of his partner, who is sitting on the balcony of the building across from the tower.     http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:36:31 AM by Junior »