Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 142155 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:41 AM »
WOW!!!  sounds like a full trip!!  congrats!

cjfootball_89

• Hatfield
  • Proud SDC fan for almost two decades!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:34 AM »
Got to the park around 2 today. It was rather busy however the wait time to get on rides was not bad. Started the day off with FITH. It was fun as usual. I noticed that they are no longer allowing people to crowd into the small queuing building... They now have a ride op standing at the door telling everyone which lane to go to. Seems to work so much better..... Next we took a ride on PK it was a long line but it went fast because they were running 3 trains. After PK we went to WF, it was the first time in awhile that I have had to que back by Doc Harriss' office! After WF we headed over to see the Wallendas! Love the show but it was really no different than last year except for the fact that they now have a 14 year old juggler that was extremely good! Once the show got over we headed to the FM. Then it was off to dinner at Mary's Springhouse. It is one of the few places in the park where you get quite a bit of food for the price. After eating we rode the train and I saw the new coaster in person for the first time! It is breathtaking!! Definitely seems to be a future contender for a top 5 spot in the best wooden roller coasters. Got some pictures but they don't really show anything new. Once the train ride was over we rode Thunderation and GS then repeated all of the rides during Moonlight Madness except for PK which got stuck at the launch area around 8:30 and had to be evacuated! Overall, it was a good day, not too hot! Hope to have another good day tomorrow and maybe ride a few water rides!!!!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 22, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
Next we took a ride on PK it was a long line but it went fast because they were running 3 trains.

That's great, I don't think I have ever seen more than 2 and seeing 2 is a rarity.
Glad SDC is allotting for the crowds.  When I was there last year for Midnight Madness the lines were very long and they were not compensating by running multiple trains.  Maybe they learned their lesson.  If you are only going to offer rides then you gotta make it so they can be ridden!

cjfootball_89

• Hatfield
  • Proud SDC fan for almost two decades!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 22, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
I'd say they are getting smarter with the trains.  Even the Giant Swing was running both pendulum arms!!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
OK, our last minute trip fell into place, and we were able to get to the City on the 28th!

The beginning to the trip was kinda rocky, though, so bear with me.  We left home near Rolla about 5:25 (try as I might, I couldn’t get out the office early).  We were taking our first trip in a new(to us) vehicle, so I was a little nervous about it, but we had no problems on the way down.  We stopped and ate at HuHot in Springfield.

Since the trip was unplanned and organized so late, we couldn’t get a room at the Homestay, so I told my wife to call the new number for Notch Inn.  Their prices had gone up a bit, but I saw that as a good sign (i.e. they were not trying to be so cheap as to not be able to improve the property).

We arrived at notch a little after 9:00 to find the new owner standing outside the office telling us they had only partial electricity and no water.  Branson West had lost a transformer and dropped one of their phases.   The east side pumps were down and the power was in and out.  The utility guys said it should be fixed in about an hour.  Everything on that side was in much the same fix.

Figuring it best to stick it out rather than drive all over to MAYBE find a room, we checked in.  Then the rest of the power went out. 

My older boy and I drove into Walmart in Branson West—that side of the town was OK—and bought a cheap cooler, some water and soda and ice, a pair of flashlights, and a pack of camping Biowipes in case we had no water in the morning.  When we got back, everything around was still black, so we brought in the gear and prepared to camp in our hotel room ;-)

Thank Heaven, an hour after we lay down sweating in the beds, the power came back, and we had air and water.  The showers Saturday morning sure felt good!

I’ll put the actual report on the City in another post to keep the size down.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »
Despite the harrowing adventures of the night before, we were up early and hit the parking lots at 8:03, caught the first tram to the entrance, and were first in line when the very nice lady opened the chain at 8:32.  Breakfast Molly’s was just as Spiffy as always.

The crowd was very small early one.  Just after the opening, we enjoyed the Pickers and then did some shopping.  We needed some jellies/jams, a new belt for my older boy, and a b-day present for my M-i-L (a wind chime from the Blacksmith’s shop). 

We had brought along some dry clothes and left them in a locker at HH and dropped down the hill to the Frisco Barn to take advantage of the sale on water shoes—Buy One, Get One Half Off.  Unfortunately, and we didn’t notice this till later, we were charged full price for all three.  My wife is going to call them and suggest they remind their people about their specials ;-)

Anyhow, we had to hike back up the hill to put the street shoes in another locker.  Then it was on to the water rides.  My wife and younger son did AP—not too long a wait.  Then my wife, my younger son, and I got on a boat at RB while my older son manned a cannon in the fort. 

We grabbed lunch at the Rib House—my only regret is that we couldn’t find a way to bring the bones home to the dogs (they just wouldn’t send them to Package Pickup ;-) ). 

Then we hit LROTO—by this time, the crowds were getting bigger, but the number of people was still far from overwhelming, and the line moved quite quickly.  All four of us rode together for this one.  Then my wife and younger son wanted to do AP again, so we trudged up thataway, stopping on the way to get frozen lemonades (the GOOD ones).  The wait for AP was longer this time, so I sat down and cat-napped with my back against the fence.

After that, we went back up to HH, and they changed into dry clothes and shoes—I at least put on dry socks.  (Note:  the water shoes were not really good quality, I guess, because the insoles came out of all three pair.)

Then we headed for the depot and a train ride.  George was our conductor—he is pretty new, it seems, as he had a little trouble with the lines, but the real news is that the Indians are back (and the Yankees are gone).  The whole skit makes more sense that way.  When we got back to the depot, George said, “If you enjoyed yourself, my name is George, and come back and join me for another ride.  If you didn’t, my name is John, and I’ll be waiting for you at the depot.”

We left the depot and did FM—very few people in there.  Then we went BACK to the depot to take George up on his offer (my younger son and I taking a side trip to the baseball cart so he could buy his teacher a present).  When we got bak on the train, George looked at us and said, “Are you back already?”

I said, “You told us to come back if we enjoyed ourselves, didn’t you?”

He laughed and walked on.  He got the Pottersville joke in the second time.

Then it was over to and down Cardiac Hill so my wife and younger son could do FITH.

We ate at the Lumberjack camp/Skillet.  The Lumberjack skillet is the only one I will eat, and the stuff had been simmering a while, long enough for all the flavors to mingle, and it was VERY good!  The waterfall makes for a cool place to sit and relax.

Then, we sadly climbed Cardiac Hill and headed out through OM 9without stopping this time) to the lot and boarded our new vehicle for the trip home.  Once again, we had not problems driving, and we got home about 10:10, tired and very satisfied, looking forward to the next time!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
sounds like a FULL day, congrats on making the trip..

tough break about the hotel, but sounds like you survived..

I will add a reminder that Homestay also purchased Econo lodge in branson, although it is not on  the west side of town,. It is on Green Mountain drive and is a short 3 or 4 minute drive to the west side,,,, Econo Lodge also honors our SDCFan discount... A couple of our members have tried thme out and are happy with them,,, (just a reminder)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
Good review, Palallin! Sorry to hear about the motel troubles. How did the new coaster look? Any pictures?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
I wish I could post a SDC review... but I haven't had the chance to get down there :(
But I'll be at *shudder* Six Flags tomorrow with my best friend; our last little get-together before he leaves for school in 5 days.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:54 AM »
great review palallin!

the wife & i will be at SDC for our 2nd trip there this year on thurs. & fri. its part of my vacation, but we have decided no cameras this year, we's gunna relax & try alil' night time stuff at the park. in all my years i have never been at the park past 6-7 pm, should be interesting. exspect a review sat. or sun. sometime.. see ya later!!  8)
Live life like it's the last day!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
Have a great time, HowDo!  You know, I find that that I spend most of my time taking photos and not enough time really enjoying myself.  The last few times I've taken my phone only, and if there is something I really need to photograph, I go back the next day if possible.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
Good review, Palallin! Sorry to hear about the motel troubles. How did the new coaster look? Any pictures?

Thanks!

No pics; sorry.  We went to do water rides, and water and digicams just don't mix ;-)

It was a lot further along than in May, of course.  I forgot to mention that George told us the big ANNOUNCEMENT is cominG August 9th, and they have signs plastered all over the park AND the new coaster itself for <silverdollarcity2013.com>, all referring to a Western theme for the coming year, so I guess that is somehow connected to the coaster.  some of the rises, dips, drops, and turns are tighter and more extreme than any other coaster I've seen, so coaster junKies ought to be happy.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »
This isn't really an SDC Trip Review, but today at Six Flags: As we were entering the park, my buddy, Robby said, "I know this place like you know Silver Dollar City." And I said, "Good! Now it's YOUR turn to be 'The Map'!"
As we were making our full circle of rides, he insisted we go on the River King Mine Train. While we were standing in line, he said, "You should feel at home in here!" (he was referring to TNT... :) )
And the train whistle really did have me feeling homesick...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:44:14 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 04, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
DH and I are taking my brother to the City tomorrow since he is home on leave. Little bro hasn't been in about 7 years, so this should be fun. Plus, it's shaping up to be a beautiful day tomorrow. I'll pass along his thoughts (but I assume they will be good). :)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 04, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
Ok.... Thurs. we got the park about 6pm, rode TNT & FM with no wait what so ever. We were standing in line for PK & they had to shut it down because of lighting & a light rain. So, we sat for awhile, walked for awhile, got something to snack on. Headed back up to the HH to look around. The wait on the weather was about 2 hours, so we went & rode FITH, & our luck changed! ;D Walked over to RB & had a total blast getting people wet with the guns!! :D They got us back too, defantly the funnist part of the weekend!! Rode TNT in the dark, that was cool!! :o Watched people dance on the square, it was neat. All types of visitors were dancing with the citizens side by side, very pleasant to watch. Then we left about 9:15. It was the better of the 2 days we were there.

Fri., lots of weird things happened this day. Over heard the conducter of the train saying that the last 2 weeks, alot of just unusual things have been happening.. Fri. morning we were at the ropes for opening, but no opening ceremony. ??? It was raining for about 15 minutes before rope drop. On the way down the left side of the park, ( not cardiac hill ) my wife had on flip-flops & she slipped twice & fell once! :( Tore a toe-nail & scrapped her knee, she is ok though. I made a new rule for SDC when its raining, no flip-flops!! Anyways.... PK was closed for maintence. Rode WF. Then we went looking for other footwear for the wife to wear & realized we forgot to get $$$$. Never found any footwear, but atleast it stopped raining. Rode FITH - PK - AP. Went to ride the train & found out they had a water main break for the train, so we didnt get to ride. Went to go ride LR & noticed some manteince guys standing by a tree that was leaned way over & had straps & chains on it. It was 1pm & the crowds were getting bigger & it started getting humid, so we called it a day.

Other notes -- We did go to the 5 & dime store, a cool indian store thats been in ol' downtown Branson for 27 years, did the Butterfly Palace, 8) went swimming for awile, went to Dannas BBQ, & ofcourse hit some antique stores. Drove thru Homestay Inns parking lot just to see where its at, ;) while munchin' on ice-cream!

We had a ok trip. I think next time we should wait till school starts back up. We had no real plan, just let things go as they came along. It was still fun, we did things we have never done before, & thats always satisfying. Thanks for the memories again SDC!! :) 
Live life like it's the last day!