Author Topic: 2012 Trip Reviews  (Read 141981 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Trip Reviews
« Reply #435 on: December 05, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
That sounds like so much fun! Mark this down as a regret that I didnt go. Congrats on such a good trip! Memories your family will never forget  :).
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
yes it worked parson,  good pics..

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #438 on: December 05, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
You met the DUGGARS!?! Super jealous!!
Great pics btw.

(and I sent you a friend request)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:49:08 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
I know jealousy is a bad thing...but man...that sounds awesome! No way I would have gotten out of my events here at home...but man was it a nice weekend for it!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:07 PM »
Sanddunerider--it was nice to meet you too.  Thanks again so much for introducing us to Page and Homestay.
MissinTheGreenTrams and Rube--It was awesome, hopefully you can go next year.
Tiffany--I got your request.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 05, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
Friday the 30th we also checked in to the Homestay and had a  good nights sleep to rest up for the next day.
We had decided to attend Coaster Christmas as a group of 6 and were only able to attend on Saturday but what a great time and a great deal!

We arrived at the park at 9:30 and were checked in at a table out front of the big wreath.
They gave us lanyards and coupons for entrance both days into the park and also a voucher for a meal of your choice ( no limits!)
When the event started they marched all 160 of us down to the river front playhouse for a presentation. Outside the doors under cover was a huge assortment of plate sized cinnamon rolls, apple and cherry turnovers,  huge cupcakes and coffee.  Please keep in mind that everything was complementary for attending guests.  I figure at this point we are up to 5.50 per person for drink and huge pastry.

We filed in the auditorium and were greeted by Brad Thomas of SDC with Martha Bonner and also Lisa Rau. They were with us all day answering questions and serving us with excitement and a humbleness not to be matched.   There was the presentation of Outlaw Run with the entire POV shown for the first time, both Brad and the Rocky Mountain Coaster President spoke.  Then I believe it was the Schlitterbahn folks talking all about the KC park and there upcoming event for next year.  Six Flags sent a representative that talked about improvements and adding a new coaster, I believe it is the boomerang we are all familiar with if we have been to many other parks.  Then Worlds of Fun talked about the new Dinosaur exhibit and their improvements to the water park.   Then raffle prizes were given away.   I myself caught a brown Outlaw Run Shirt ( 19.00) I figure at this point I have broken even with my $25 admission.
We were told to go ride the rides ERT time for 1 hour until meeting at the exit of FITH to see the new coaster.  On the way out the door each attendee received a bag from SDC and a insulated cup from Schlitterbahn.  The SDC bad contained a cpl of Outlaw Run pins, 2 Coaster Christmas T shirts, a 1 lb of candy from Browns and a magnetic Outlaw Run bumper sticker for your car.  The Shliterbaun cup contained a necklace to hold your money  that was waterproof a brochure for the park and 2 free tickets.  I value the tickets and mug at $90 and the SDC bag at 20.00+5.99+5.00+4.50=35.49.
Off we went to ride PK without wait 3 times then FITH. At this time we decided we were not going to make Wildfire in the hour so we waited to get back to see Outlaw Run.   Martha and the gang from SDC showed up and took us through a small door and we walked back to the OR  station where a buffet of Potato Soup and a tomato soup rolls the 3 color bean skillet and the regular succotash skillet, drinks and Apple Dumplings were served.  We ate lounging in the actual station that is decorated with western lights and a safe.    This meal would have cost 16.00 minimally.
We were invited to eat all we wanted and told we could roam the grounds of the new coaster and sign our names under the 153. Man that coaster is much tighter than the maps show and the action just does not stop from the top of the hill until you reach the station.  I questioned the workers about throughput and they said THEY did not know, but the ride would have 2 cars both seating  24.  The ride will last 87 seconds and the load time at a good clip was 30 seconds.   They thought they would know around mid season what the real throughput was.
After walking all over the coaster we departed and went to ride some rides before the 2 pm special seating of Dickens.  It was a great show as usual.  We then walked the park until about 6 and decided to go for the Prime Rib Buffet.   
When we went through the line the first of the 6 of us looked back as I was getting a piece of Prime and said “ there are no places to sit”, I said '‘well ask someone what we are supposed to do'’.
The next thing I knew there was a little employee pow-wow and we were brought to a separate dining room with  1 large square table meant for 16.  The waitress said we would be served right away.  I noticed the room was decorated nicely and had a TV in it, that I found to be way out of theme and that tipped me off.  The waitress walked back into the room and took our drink orders with the manager of the restaurant and said “ Will the Herschends be meeting you tonight?”  I explained the situation and that we were just at the park as regular guests the manager then said that we need not worry that she had worked there for many years and that if the Herschends did show she would tell them they ran out of tables and seated us in their dining room. We let her know we would be happy to move if a table opened and did not mean for a misunderstanding.  They were wonderfully gracious and said we would stay right there and enjoy the quiet away from the loud dining room.  That really capped off the day.  We tipped very well for the service they provided, I am sure many of them do not get the tips they deserve but these ladies were great.  The Prime Rib Buffet was 20.00 tip 20.00 ( our portion)
Add up the day folks, what would you pay for a day spent with the SDC  PTB  having them serve you and answer any questions you had, interested in what you had to say as a fan, interested in your feedback on their park.   Serve your breakfast, a buffet lunch, let you roam the woods around the new ride and sign it with a sharpie.  Give you loads of swag and a Prime Rib Dinner in the private dining room where Mary herself probably ate her meals.
It cost me $25
If you add it us it would run about    $ 185.00
And that does not include admission to the park itself for 2 days.
Look into the ACE club and its events.  I am looking ahead and planning to visit other parks with them, it's a great time with fun folks andcan'tcan’t argue the value in what they put together.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:36:24 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »
MH, great review,

And as far as value, if I remember right dont you also have  a pass and invitation to join them in april for the "grand opening" of OR,,???

Sorry i missed you this weekend, cya next time around...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
You are right Sanddune, they are emailing us passes that went with the Coaster Christmas. If we cant make it for opening day we are allowed to go in until May 21st. I was blown away by the value and the VIP treatment.  I am going up this weekend but have to finds a pet room, Wishing Homestay didn't close so early.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:20:39 PM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
MH,  I think Econo lodge is open this weekend, (should be their last)...  Rick ( i think), has pet rooms...

I odn thave that number, but it is on wildwood street, just south of green mountain drive..

have a good trip.. I cant go back unitl the 30th!

extremeroller

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
Every year I always anxiously await the trip reports for Coaster Christmas (typically Swoosh's but sometimes others), partially because I love to hear about how other's experienced the event, but also because I want to know that all the worrying and stressing I did was for naut. (and trust me I stress and worry about EVERYTHING) I am glad to hear everyone had a good time.  SDC REALLY REALLY  went out of their way to make this an exceptional event.  I am sure they read this but, if anyone would like to send a personal note of thanks to the staff let me know and I can provide contact information.

I have heard some issues about ERT, about how regular park guests made it to wildfire by 11:45 or so, I don't think that particularly bothered anyone drastically, but I am really interested in hearing of any concerns people had.

Otherwise, I will let everyone know when I hear anything about the spring event!  I believe there will be a room block for that event as well.

Jennifer aka "Extremeroller"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
mhguy77--You got to eat in the Herschend's private dining room!!  That is so cool.

Extremeroller---This was our family's first experience with coaster christmas, and it was Awesome!  You did a great job.  There were a few other teenagers on Wildfire during ERT but the kids I saw there were with the Marching Band that played in the parade that night.  I thought maybe SDC let them on property early because of that.  They didn't really interfere with opportunities to ride Wildfire from what I could see.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
Here's our PTR from Coaster Christmas, if you weren't there, you missed out on a lot of fun
http://midwestinfoguide.com/ace/coasterchristmas/2012/
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
EXCELLENT REPORT SWOOSH! Maybe next best thing to being there!?! Thanks very much! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
WOW!!!  Great report and as always great pictures..Lots of info..  Thanks Swoosh....

only 2 things could have been better.....

Being there,,,

Or a 4 or 5 hour video..!!!