Author Topic: Your Attraction Ideas  (Read 283855 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Your Attraction Ideas
« Reply #555 on: May 11, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
No. its that SDC could be so much better and im putting my 2 cents and ideas in just like everyone else can. You all should be more open minded and look at everything in different ways and with different themes, like me. Dont look at every ride with the 1 theme that everybody says on here.

We love SDC the way it is.  And if they ever come close to your idea of the park I will burn our season passes.

Yup!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 11, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »
At AP, if it were to be reinvisioned, please figure out a way to use the interior of the old float trip mill. I wish some of you younger folk could see the inside of it. Not big, but big enough for a small retail space or food/drink concession. My guess is if you got access today, very little of the interior would be different from the last day a guest walked through it in 1980 when it served as the float trip entrance. When the AP Acrew used it for 2 or 3 years as a break room, all they did was set up a folding table and a few chairs for employees, the atmosphere pieces decorating the walls were still from the float trip. They hanged on the walls since the float trip opened in '68 or '69. A real time capsule!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
I think we all agree that the Phantasialand flume is exactly the caliber of ride we want AP to be eventually turn into. I disagree about the theme though. The ozarkan daredevilry theme was such an SDC-flavored theme. It's just the right mix of unique, outlandish, and yet fitting for both the theme and ride. I'd like to see it come back. The steampunk theme is good in small doses, but it will easily get overused quick. I'd rather see them use that theme to work in another flat ride that would be hard to theme otherwise.

Well you'll have to excuse me if I politely disagree with you on this.  The whole point (for me) on moving to an inventor theme is to make a more centralized theme for this area.  The Dare-Devil theme has nothing else in the area to go along with it.  WildFire is the anchor of this area and is at a dead end.  To me it makes sense to centralize the theme for the area to being the head quarters for the SDC Inventor's League than to have numerous random themes in the area.  I never stated that it had to be completely steam-punk - BUT if this area is where the steam punk theme is confined to, I don't have a problem with it.  I agree that there could be another flat ride in this area that has a steam punk theme, but I think moving towards one unifying theme would be a definite plus for the park.

Why not go for multiple splash downs of varying height?
Why not a backwards section?
Would you use side by side seating for capacity?
Would we actually want a log theme? If we went with side by side why not make it flat boat themed like Jim Owens. Cave scenes include animated bear, Bald Knobbers hid out, prehistoric bones, ect.

I seriously considered a MACK style Aquatrax ride, but I am not sure I want something to stand out as much as I think something like that would in the area.  I am more for it blending in with the scenery of the park and being hidden from the midway.  That's why I wanted the animatronics to be indoors and out of the elements.  I guess there could be some hidden drops insides these buildings along the route.  I do like the idea of having backwards sections.  I don't know about the side-by-side seating as that might cause the troughs to have to be expanded.  As far as logs/etc.  I don't think the theme of the actual vessel will be a make/break to the ride.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 11, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
I think we all agree that the Phantasialand flume is exactly the caliber of ride we want AP to be eventually turn into. I disagree about the theme though. The ozarkan daredevilry theme was such an SDC-flavored theme. It's just the right mix of unique, outlandish, and yet fitting for both the theme and ride. I'd like to see it come back. The steampunk theme is good in small doses, but it will easily get overused quick. I'd rather see them use that theme to work in another flat ride that would be hard to theme otherwise.

Well you'll have to excuse me if I politely disagree with you on this.  The whole point (for me) on moving to an inventor theme is to make a more centralized theme for this area.  The Dare-Devil theme has nothing else in the area to go along with it.  WildFire is the anchor of this area and is at a dead end.  To me it makes sense to centralize the theme for the area to being the head quarters for the SDC Inventor's League than to have numerous random themes in the area.  I never stated that it had to be completely steam-punk - BUT if this area is where the steam punk theme is confined to, I don't have a problem with it.  I agree that there could be another flat ride in this area that has a steam punk theme, but I think moving towards one unifying theme would be a definite plus for the park.

Why not go for multiple splash downs of varying height?
Why not a backwards section?
Would you use side by side seating for capacity?
Would we actually want a log theme? If we went with side by side why not make it flat boat themed like Jim Owens. Cave scenes include animated bear, Bald Knobbers hid out, prehistoric bones, ect.

I seriously considered a MACK style Aquatrax ride, but I am not sure I want something to stand out as much as I think something like that would in the area.  I am more for it blending in with the scenery of the park and being hidden from the midway.  That's why I wanted the animatronics to be indoors and out of the elements.  I guess there could be some hidden drops insides these buildings along the route.  I do like the idea of having backwards sections.  I don't know about the side-by-side seating as that might cause the troughs to have to be expanded.  As far as logs/etc.  I don't think the theme of the actual vessel will be a make/break to the ride.

You are entering a cave to the right but you can see a drop from a river flowing out of another cave entrance  to your left. As you enter the cave you happen upon a larger calmer pool (this where the turntable is). TO distract you, there's an animatronics scene with Baldonobbers and the turn to see you and then you're moving backwards and you drop out of the cave that you saw to the left when you entered. You are straightened out for the larger drop in a revamped whirlpool area Cause I like the section when it's  right.

As you know Mack, has all kinds of upgrades for a flume ride. That's also why I mention the coaster the interactz with the flume as they make great bobsled style coasters that could play into your theme ideas.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:28:51 PM by chittlins »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 11, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
I don't know about the side-by-side seating as that might cause the troughs to have to be expanded.

Under the idea that you propose this has to be done anyway.  The Float trip used boats similar to the flooded mine, wide and shallow.  When they built the plunge they reversed the flow of the ride and had to modify the trough for the logs it was too wide and too shallow.  You can see when you are looking at the trough on the left side of the gift shop at WF.  That was actually where the boats left the old station, right there at the tractor/whatever invention in the water.  It would be necessary to tear up the entirety of the old trough system because it is not deep enough for logs.  Look at the area I am mentioning and you will understand the reason they might have not used all the old ride.  I however side with you on your idea Swoosh and think this would be a winner idea for a ride.  It sounds repeatable and original, that to me is what SDC was built on.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »
Now that I think about it, I agree mhguy, the current troughs will all need to be removed to do this correctly. That will allow for a better layout and overall ride. 

So with that in mind. They can remove the entrance path past/behind the furniture store and rework the entrance arch by Lumber Camp to say "League of Inventors" (or something similar). A new building/business can go where the old Applebutter Store was and expand into where the current splashdown pool is.  I want the flume to be as hidden as possible from the main midway and path back to Wildfire and this new flume ride's entrance.
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 11, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »
Lots of good ideas here. Sure are hoping the PTB's are thinking along the same lines. I would also prefer a multiple drop scenario. Not sure how much extra cost would be involved to build it mountain style similar to Splash at Disney, but a side by side configuration in my book is a must. It makes it funner to ride with a partner. I am not sure which theming or storyline I would prefer but semi-steampunk would fit in with wildfire very well.

I would much rather see this done before another new coaster and I am a coaster lover.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
O.....M.....G!!! This is exactly what we need! It sounds like a mix of several rides, with a Steampunk theme. This will solve most of my problems. I think I was the one to come up with the Steampunk theme a few months ago, by the way. When I brought it up I thought it was a perfect theme for SDC because in a way, it shows what the future would be like, while keeping the 1880 theme. Steampunk is awesome and lots of people love it. If we get this next year, and I hope we do, more than a coaster, I think Steampunk lovers will come from far and wide in search of this great, new invention theyve all been hearing about. They might even start a Steampunk Convention in SDC.

Other than that, I have nothing to say. You all said it best and took all the good things to say about this tremendous new invention! What should it be called? Time Warp?

When SDC built WF back then, but didnt exactly throw in the Steampunk theme, where they planning on redoing AP in the future? Was redoing AP and throwing the Steampunk theme on us as a surprise, all part of their master plan? I feel like it was....
Kinda like building a ride, but telling nobody the whole theme until years later.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:51:19 PM by Laroy »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »
Im betting there are clues in WF. All you have to do is think deeply, look closely, and think.....OUTSIDE the box.  ;) ;) ;)

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
I really don-t care how it's themed as long as it's done well. I'm much more interested in the elements the ride incorporates. I think we all agree on multiple drops And a backwards section with one of those. I think some of us would like to see what Swoosh mentioned in water coaster but nothing like old Buzzsaw. That last drop in the clip I posted with the little hill at the bottom of the splash down area Is neat. That ride is an Intamin and we know that ain't happening at an HFEC property or so it's been said. Mack flumes offer many of the same options however and that seems plausible. If there is a major faux rockwork it only strengthens my desire to add a coaster to the footprint. Get the most out of that expensive work. It too can be part of the theme Swoosh has pitched. It adds a mid level, family coaster the park needs. I just think it helps vary the ride experience on both if a coaster briefly ran along the stream like real trains did in the era  and for it to reappear as a bridge crossing  over the splash zone. Random trips would provide that moment where it appears the flume will get the coaster riders wet but in reality it crosses a little before the splash. The two can even share the props if they are elevated or done in a way to be seen by both but the rides shielded from each other.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
I would much rather see this done before another new coaster and I am a coaster lover.

I myself don't like to get wet and walk around all day so I am not as much a water ride guy but I agree with Runner, I would rather see this before
another coaster as long as they do it right and drop some serious cash.  Also they can incorporate the splash control that they can turn down or up.   Disney has this for Splash Mountain, you can ride and with 3 + drops per ride walk away fairly intact on cooler months.  That would increase the season on the ride therefore increasing its value to the park and return on investment.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
O.....M.....G!!! This is exactly what we need! It sounds like a mix of several rides, with a Steampunk theme. This will solve most of my problems. I think I was the one to come up with the Steampunk theme a few months ago, by the way.

FYI, you are not the first one to come up with a steampunk theme.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
The thing that might keep steampunk out of the park is the possible attraction of hardcore steampunk cosplayers.  I love the look of the stuff, but I really don't see the WF/AP area going that way.  As the logo is an ax and log, the forestry theme probably should prevail in the area.  Otherwise the only signs of logging will show up in a hamburger restaurant.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
The thing that might keep steampunk out of the park is the possible attraction of hardcore steampunk cosplayers.  I love the look of the stuff, but I really don't see the WF/AP area going that way.  As the logo is an ax and log, the forestry theme probably should prevail in the area.  Otherwise the only signs of logging will show up in a hamburger restaurant.

As long as they don't buy rights to My Little Pony, the hard core steampunk folks are ok In my book but Bronies scare me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:23:13 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
I love the look of the stuff, but I really don't see the WF/AP area going that way.  As the logo is an ax and log, the forestry theme probably should prevail in the area.  Otherwise the only signs of logging will show up in a hamburger restaurant.

The only signs of logging right NOW in the park is that hamburger restaurant -- and that is just by name only.  There is nothing in that area that even suggests anything dealing with Lumberjacks other than the name. 
SWOOSH