Author Topic: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!  (Read 9539 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »
I have confirmed with several sources that the vehicles are NOT original to WWII.

From http://philadelphia.ridetheducks.com/experience/ducks-or-dukws.aspx
Our Ducks are based on the classic WWII DUKW amphibious design. Today, we build our vehicles from the ground up using the latest in marine design and safety. The vehicles are regularly inspected, tested & certified by the United States Coast Guard to ensure a safe and comfortable experience for our guests. Our newest model, the "Truck Duck," has been approved by the USCG Marine Safety Center for "Partially Protected Water" routes, a designation unattainable by standard WWII DUKWs in any configuration.

The vehicle in the accident was only 10 years old

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
Just saw frightening footage on ABC News Overnight of the Ride the Ducks Disaster at Philiadelphia. The news story was showing how the National Transportation and Safety Board was using security camera footage from accident and wreck sites to improve safety. The Ride the Ducks footage was captured by a security camera on an aquarium along the river. The barge/tug boat that hit the Ride the Ducks vehicle could not see it because the passenger vehicle was in a blind spot for those piloting the barge/tug. The barge/tug just flat ran over the Duck like an 18 wheeler driving along an interstate highway flattens out a skunk that runs in the road! Thank God more were not killed/injured in this mishap! Perhaps if you check the ABC News Website you can find a link to this story and see the footage yourself. It was amazing!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
I had not heard or seen that detail, i looked for the link and couldnt find it. IF anybody locates it please post the link here,

On a side not, but duck related. While in branson this weekend i drove by the duck parking lot on 76. I lost count at over 25 ducks all lined up and waiting for warm weather. The line up up kinda impressive,,  Looked like an invasion getting ready to happen.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »
I had the pleasure of fishing next to one of the duck boat mechanics this past fall. He talked about how they tested the seaworthiness of the boats after repairs were made.  They launch them at a boat dock by the dam.  He was astonished when he was told to drive it in the lake, and then found out that it's 250 feet deep at the dam!  LOL!  Hope to meet up with him again - he was an interesting fellow (and didn't catch anymore fish than I did.)   :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
250ft!  well.?  It will either float or NOT?!!  LOL!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
$17 million settlement in ducks disaster!  Court ruling says the families of the two people killed get to split $15 million, the other survivors split an additional $2 million. The barge operator that hit the duck is the one that is paying up for the disaster. Saw this on NBC TV today. Don't know what Herschend Family Corporation liabilities there are, if any.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Good for them!

Hopefully HFEC is free and clear of this incident, since it was clearly not their fault, and the collision could obviously been avoided by the barge.