Author Topic: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!  (Read 9538 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
NBC Nightly News reports today that the Ride the Ducks attraction at Philadelphia had a serious accident on the Delaware River. One of the boats, with 35 passengers and 2 crew members, burst into flames. The engine caught fire. All passengers and crew wound up in the river. Several injuries reported, I caught something about the boat and a barge coming into contact with one another. Coast Guard assisted in rescue and clean up. Search is underway for a 16 year old girl and 20 year old man that are missing. More to come as info becomes available.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
I wasn't sure so I checked the HFE Website...Ride the Ducks in Philadelphia IS A HERSCHEND FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT property! My heart goes out to all passengers, crew, and HFE "family" members connected to this tragic event!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
The Website for NBC News Philadelphia reports the accident occurred about 2:40pm in 10 feet of water off Penn's Landing. The Duck stalled when a fire occurred in the engine. The boat drifted 20 minutes before colliding with a barge. Nine people are reported injured. The missing girl and man reportedly are from Hungary. The most shocking thing to me in this report was word that "ALLEGEDLY" NOT ALL PEOPLE HAD LIFE JACKETS ON.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
I encourage all members and guests of sdcfans.com to pray for the people involved in this event.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:56:32 PM »
I just made a quick check of the SDC and HFE Websites and did not see a mention of the tragedy...I looked for information under the press section, did not see any official word. My guess is that it is too early for the company to make a statement just yet since the events are still unfolding in Philadelphia.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
I just saw some footage on CBS. It looked like rescue footage shot from a helicopter. A horrible sight.
No matter where you go, there you are.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
Here are photos of the rescue efforts: http://www.philly.com/philly/gallery/Duck_boat_crash.html

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »
Prayers for all those involved.  From the looks of things, it could have been a lot worse in terms of injuries and loss of life.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:22 AM »

My thoughts and prayers as well!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
NBC reports today that the two are still missing...searchers are giving up hope.

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »
Does this mean that we are going to have to wear the lifejackets now?

I did not know if it is any different with the other sites since they explain to us where the life jackets are but it is sad that in calm times we know what to do but in an actually emergency we all panic.

My mother does not swim and my girls are not the best swimmers either.

I hope the lost are found and I too will lift them up in prayers.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
"Ride the Ducks" suspends operations nationwide
In a message posted on the company website, "Ride the Ducks' says it is attending to the needs of tour guests, crew members and their families in Philadelphia.

It also says the suspension of service is voluntary and that they will resume operations shortly.

IN case you were wondering :The Duck vehicles are based on the classic WWII DUKW amphibious design, first built by General Motors in 1942. The company says they build their vehicles from the ground up using "the latest in marine design and safety."

For more info go to:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7543443

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
From what I understand, life jackets have been optional up to this point on Ride the Ducks tours.

I personally think a nationwide suspension of Ride the Ducks tours is an overblown reaction, even if it is voluntary. NBC News noted in their stories that the last serious accident was ten years ago in Arkansas at Hot Springs (The Hot Springs attraction NOT part of HFE.) Just my opinion here.

Let me relate a little story:  When the FITH accident happened in 1980, it was handled quietly at the time. Most park guests were unaware anything was going on, and the rest of park operation continued normally. When Six Flags at St. Louis had a sky tram gondola car drop to the ground (about 1978) the park management freaked out and shut the whole park down. I know a sky lift car is more visible than an indoor roller coaster attraction, but I still think there is a good, quiet way to handle a problem, and an overblown, over reaction...my feeling is the nationwide suspension of Ride the Ducks is far too much. Again, just my opinion here. I don't mean to get anybody upset.

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
The way it was played up in the media - my girls said I don't want to ride on the Ducks again.  I told them that they should not be afraid of what might happened but be more aware of the safety precautions available to them.

I agree ceasing operations just can spread fear....unless they are going to reinspect their fleet to make sure the ride is safer.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
Suspending operations will eventually play to their advantage.  With the negative publicity, the company must appear to be re-evaluating their policies, and it would be disingenuous to only shut down Philadelphia and still allow others to operate as if nothing happened.  I do agree, they shouldn't have to do this, but I see the other side, as well.

At least on Table Rock and Taneycomo, there are no barges to ram into a wingless DUKW.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating