Author Topic: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!  (Read 9537 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Ride the Ducks Disaster in Philadelphia!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
It is the exact same protocol that Six Flags Co. used after the unfortunate Superman Tower of Power (formerly the Hellevator) accident in 2007 at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. At least 9 other similar rides worldwide (mostly on Six Flags properties) closed for inspections and protocol changes.It is smart of them.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
Does anybody else think it would be a good practice, if you're drifting powerless for 20 minutes, to at some point ask ALL passengers to put their life jackets on!  I know you don't want to panic folks, but it would seem like that should be standard operating proceedure in that event. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
Ditto, Pastor Don!

My local news refered to the accident today, saying Ride the Ducks had suspended rides nationwide. They refered to Ride the Ducks as a Georgia based company, and there was no mention of HFE. Hmmmmmm...good P.R. in my opinion. Somebody's thinking!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
They are controlling it so far and avoiding collateral damage.  I haven't followed much of the news, but in what I have seen, I have only heard from "the president of the company" and "a duck-boat sightseeing cruise".

^Drifting wouldn't be worthy of a life jacket, but another craft headed your way might be.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
Looks like the bodies have been found.  Very sad for all; if there is any consolation, it is that the "not knowing" is over.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
God bless them all. Again, please pray for these people and a successful investigation so this never happens again.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
^Drifting wouldn't be worthy of a life jacket, but another craft headed your way might be.

I disagree.  Obviously in this case drifting constituted a potentially dangerous situation in which they would be powerless to get out of the way of much larger craft on a very busy river like that one.  By the time you realize the larger craft is bearing down on you there may not be time to don life vests.  I'm just putting myself in the Captain's chair and thinking that if I were in that situation "drifting" would prompt me to say, "O.K. Folks.  Just to be safe, let's put those life jackets on." 

In His grip!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »
Now, I don't think that you'll ever catch me touring on the Ride the Ducks boat, but I'll make sure I keep those who are injured and missing in my prayers. :)
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
99.9 percent of the time, there won't be a problem with a Duck boat. I've taken a ride in one at the Branson property. I don't think you have anything at all to be afraid of. They are fun tours.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 01:00:14 AM »
^Especially in Branson where the biggest thing you might have to worry about running you down is also owned by HFE...The Branson Belle.
In His grip!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
I read online that the RTD driver called out on the radio to the barge to stop but they never responded... 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »
In case anyone has wondered, HFE has officially recognized the tragedy on their website (http://www.hfecorp.com/):  

Our thoughts and prayers are with our Philadelphia tour guests, crew members and their families.  We are attending to their needs first.  In the interim, we have voluntarily suspended our Ride The Ducks operations nationwide.  If you already have a reservation, you can receive a full refund or reschedule for a future date.  We will resume operations shortly.

A part of this is also on the Philadelphia site for RtD, along with a notice they have suspended the attraction there.  I found nothing on the other RtD sites about suspending them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:36:04 PM by History Buff »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
They originally suspended all Duck operations nation-wide. They resumed operations today (Saturday) in Branson, Atlanta, and San Francisco, and Newport, KY is "expected to resume soon".

Operations will remain closed at Philadelphia until further notice.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
I read online these boats are built from the ground up, using modern technology, however I think St. Louis news is uninformed and stated these ARE (not these are based on) but they ARE reconditioned WWII boats......I think they are wrong....

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 02:46:55 AM »
The Hot Springs Ducks (which aren't HFE) are WWII. As for the others, I couldn't begin to say, but I'd be surprised to find that many intact DUKW survivors. Only 21,000 or so were built in the first place, the last being made in 1945. They saw use in WWII and Korea.