Author Topic: Do we want a Mystery Mine at SDC?  (Read 17487 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Do we want a Mystery Mine at SDC?
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:43:35 AM »
I am in Dollywood for the weekend and have ridden Mystery Mine a few times.
On my arrival I was excited about MM, when I went to the ride I could see the mine sitting next to lake silver, it looks great, the theming is fantastic, cool animatronics outside and sound effects ext.
Then I rode the ride.....
MM is a great trip through a troubled mine, effects are great with 2 good drops and a small one to enter the ride, curves, upside down heart line rolls, some cool track twists
but there is 1 big problem I have not seen addressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42Sc43HCi8

It a nutshell your head is to far from the track.  The ride " Can" do all these tight moves because of its design BUT, should it?  If you watch that vid when they slow the car you can see the heads of the rides throw forward, when you see the POV of the ride you will notice that the ride goes down a hill and then abruptly pulls up, this is very very hard on your neck.
There were 4 of us on the ride, adults in upper 30’s lower 40’s and 2 kids 12.  The first day I thought it was me, I was tired and this was the cause of my discomfort.  The second day the kids both said “ Oww” when we were going threw the first outdoor section of track.  I was all about a  MM when I first heard the rumor but now I hope that if they do go through with the ride they pull some of the turns out of the track and consider this glaring error in design..
This ride went upside down beautifully but the extreme curves were to extreme for me.
1 think I will tell you about Dollywood is they don’t have PowederKeg, that is a wonderfully smooth fun coaster, that is the coaster to be jealous of, and we have it.

Now as an after thought a suspended coaster would be a smooth ride………………………………

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Do we want a Mystery Mine at SDC?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
Heck yeah I want one of these!

I rode this the year it opened, and I thought it was great fun.  I don't remember feeling pain; maybe my adrenaline blocked it out!

I did feel that one ride on Thunderhead was enough, but I'm not the greatest woodie fan.  I will say OzCat was a great ride, and I never felt "beaten" on it.

I'm sure if SDC did get one, they could tweak it a little.   

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »
I'd rather have a mystery mine than a Half Dollar Holler or an Adventure mountain. SDC has the Geyser Gulch, the Grand Expo, and the River Blast. There are plenty of Kid hangouts. SDC hasen't had a thrill ride since Powder Keg (or I guess The Giant Barn Swing if you want to be technical). All SDC would have to do is give it a different name and theme, then take out all the jerks and make it smoother. I don't think it could beat Powder Keg or Wildfire, but it could be a good addition.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:59:54 AM by maddilives4him »
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
I'd love to have a Mystery Mine type ride....There is no question that whatever replaces the waterboggin should be a thrill ride of some sort...Please let it be...Swoosh seems to know a lot about the goings on in the park as far as construction goes...Is there even a possibility of getting a Mystery Mine type of ride?
Ya'll have a great day :)
Colorado SDC Fan

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
YES! Dollywood has seemed to work out the difficulties with Mystery Mine. I rode it the last time i visited May 9th and it didn't bash at all!!!! they have worked it out it now goes faster, and is so much smoother.

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
I like the S&S version of this concept better, they have one at Indiana Beach.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

Oh you mean the same version that trapped people upside down for almost 3 hours this summer on a different installation?  Yeah no thanks.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:37:08 PM »
Oh you mean the same version that trapped people upside down for almost 3 hours this summer on a different installation?  Yeah no thanks.

It could work! They could just call it the new "Hang like a bat in Marvel Cave" ride.  ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:35:42 AM »

To be fair, that only happened because someone's poncho blew onto the tracks and got caught up in the wheels. The same thing might be possible on a G-Fighter.

The El Loco's seem to be better received, but I don't think the park would want to halve the capacity.

A B&M dive machine though... that's a dream of mine. I hear a small version is being built in Europe right now. Given the outstanding success and reliability of Wildfire, I'm amazed the chain hasn't gone back to them yet. SDC doesn't really need the capacity too badly at this point, but if you're going to spend > $15 million, why not? I really enjoyed Oblivion at AT, even though it lasted all of 4 seconds. I can only imagine how awesome the new models are.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »
Mystery mine looks like a combo of Flooded Mine and American Plunge and Thunderation. The video on the Internet posted here looked good. It did look like something fun to do. I'm all for one.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
It's EXTREMELY FUN!!!! But, at the same time scary!! :) :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
If Silver Dollar City could learn from the tweaks of Mystery Mine, and push the Ozark theme to the max, I think Silver Dollar City could "knock one out of the ballpark" with a their own version of Mystery Mine. For some reason, I always saw the old Waterworks Waterboggan tower as being the perfect fit for such a ride.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
Hmmm. Seems as though I've heard something about a new attraction being developed for that exact location. :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
Looks wicked to me!
Live life like it's the last day!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »
It really does look like a cross between FITH and TNT.