Author Topic: Do we want a Mystery Mine at SDC?  (Read 17486 times)

dorsal

• View Profile
Re: Do we want a Mystery Mine at SDC?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
Looks cool to me!   ;D

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
I would love a mystery mine type of ride...I'd love to ride the one at Dollywood, however, it's a bit too far for me to drive...
Colorado SDC Fan

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »
I love the MM at Dollywood.  It has a few rough spots but mine type rides are supposed to be a rough and wild ride.  The effects on it are very nice.  It would be a solid addition at SDC.

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
It's a neat idea.  I wish the rides at SDC were longer.  I know there is limited amount of space, but they are all over so quick.  Well the thrill rides anyway.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
well lets see it!  or as the dude says---  "git r dun"!!

Colby Cox

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I'm your number one fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
I loved MM but I think that it could be done better. However, isn't MM an earlier Eurofighter? Maybe Gerstlauer is getting better at making them smooth. I will be happy with lots of things SDC does, but personally, I want a wooden coaster :)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »
I would vote 'no' on getting one at SDC. We went to Dollywood during vacation last year. Mystery Mine was fun, but it hurt my neck and gave me a headache which made it really hard to enjoy the rest of the day.  :-\
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
If you ride in the front, MM is not nearly as bad of a ride.  You really get whipped around in the back.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
For a cool $17 million, I don't think HFEC was completely satisfied with the ultimate reaction to MM, and I have serious doubts now that one will ever surface at SDC unless considerable changes are made to the concept. While MM's thematics and details are awe-inspiring and really boosted DW's aurora and quality appeal, the ride itself must fall far short of HFEC quality for opinions to be so mixed about it. For $17 million they could have gotten a lot more with a different ride system. It's a shame though, cause the concept looked so good on paper.

Of course, Gerstlauer has recently over-hauled the design of the Euro-fighter to be smoother, but I don't see the new design fitting SDC very well.

I'm glad DW is going to B&M for their new coaster, I think it bodes well for us in the future. I'm hoping the chain learns to stick with quality ride makers like B&M for their big coaster projects, and saves the huge theming budgets for other types rides that could really use it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
I have never ridden Mystery Mine so my opinion is void. Either way, I think the concept is there, but Silver Dollar City would really have to smother it in the theme to make it fit.

That is one of the neat things about having sister parks. If one ride is a success at one park, then they can copy it at the other park (example: River Blast, and The Giant Swing). However, if a ride bombs at one park, then the other park can learn from it.

I think Mystery Mine works very well for Dollywood. I have mixed feelings about seeing one at Silver Dollar City.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
I vote "YES" on a MM at SDC!  I miss all the special effects and animatronics on rides like Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain at DL.  This would be a great fit for SDC and a fitting compliment to WF & PK.  (By the way, it's been about a year since I've visited the site and it's good to see you're all keeping the home fires burning!  Good to be back!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:49:04 PM by PastorDon »
In His grip!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
it's been about a year since I've visited the site
  Come to think of it, I guess to be honest, it's only been about 8 months...but who's counting?
In His grip!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »
I just returned from my second trip to DOllywood being a year after I started this thread.  I will report they changed the head restraint pads from being originally a 3 sided box of "pad" to a concave indention in a solid piece of foam.  It did help but the problem is in the layout and the required moves that are predetermined into track.   The H have learned about the coasters like M/M, most inportantly what --> Not <-- to do with the track configurations.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:27:10 AM by mhguy77 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
Not necessarily a MM, but I sure would like another coaster.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Agreed! Something themed like MM is great. Just a different ride system.