Author Topic: Opinion on park foodservice is it getting better or worse?  (Read 14078 times)

riverfronttrader

• View Profile
Re: Opinion on park foodservice is it getting better or worse?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »
Totally agree the servings are smaller and costs are higher.  The quality of the food has went down hill.  We no longer buy anything to eat or drink when we visit.  Unfortunately, our cost of living has not enjoyed the same increase as the inflated food prices at SDC.  We do enjoy the park very much and will continue to buy season passes but pass on the eats and drinks.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
After 8 hours @ SF StL today I am going to say for sure the food service, choices and prices are 100% better @ SDC.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
^Um, Duh. :D

The only place that might be better would be Knoebel's because the food is good and is cheap
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
I went with the kids on a school trip as a chaperone so I was in free, ate the lunch buffet-free to me again as a chaperone, and spent $0.00 all day mostly because I would have had to hit up the ATM since my meager $$$ wasn't enough for a worthwhile meal. $5 for an ear of corn? $7.50 Turkey leg? $4.00 churro? $3.50 for a bottled pop. I actually made money by finding $0.22 total on the ground. I did try the fudge that was made on site today and it was good, very similar in taste and texture to the Fudgery chain. The mint/choc was the best followed closely by the cookies and cream. I'll be back next week as another chaperone, and will definately rethink the food issues by then...

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
We also believe that the quality of food has eroded since Chef Zader left.  I remember telling my wife "I don't like the sounds of that", when we heard he was gone.  Sure enough we just can't find the quality that we were accustomed to. 

I always find that the smells are incredible, but I can't seem to find what smells so good.   :)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 07:09:39 AM »
I would like to say that I like the Food in the park.  We love the Breakfast Buffet and we love to eat the BBQ buffet in the mine.  I still find both these options a good value for the amount and quality of the food.   The prices are a little higher maybe than if I would go eat somewhere around Branson but not not much.  In Oklahoma City at Frontier City a Burger and Fries are over $10...   At SDC a Burger and Fries are $6.99....   There are kids options all over the park from $3.99 to $4.99.  I mean really, do you think a Corn Dog and Fries at $3.99 is over Priced...   Try Sonic.   Over all I do not find the Prices to be that Inflated.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »

I always find that the smells are incredible, but I can't seem to find what smells so good
Amen to that comment, I feel exactly the same, smell is there but the taste is not.
Seasonings are cheap, and easy to apply.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
I can't believe that anyone would want to eat the BBQ in the mine more than once.  The food was some of the worst I have ever had any park.  The great smells of SDC food.  Remember when it also meant great mouth watering food.  The cookies at the flour mill, the BBQ down by the lost river.  Breakfast at Mollie's, the great breads

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 08:29:41 AM »
The barbecue in the mine is kinda hit and miss for me.  One time last year I went and it was great and I looked forward to the next time.  Then when I returned for some in the fall, I was very disappointed. 
Vote to end 2020!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
I eat in the mine every time.  Have never had a bad meal there.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
We just came back from Bluegrass and BBQ. The Bluegrass was great.  The BBQ was somewhat dissappointing.  We started at the all-you-can eat BBQ buffet at reunion hall.  I paid for 3 adults and 2 children.  The cost was $84.00 (including drinks).  Now you get 10% off for a season pass. So thats about $76.00.  Recently I spent $72.00 at Tony Romas for 3 full slabs of ribs, sides and drinks.  The last time we ate at Bandana's it cost us about $67.00 and these were not all you can eat places.  So the pricing on the BBQ buffet wasn't too outrageous. The quality of the BBQ varied--the chicken, brisket, and pulled pork were nice and tender and juicy. The Ribs were about as tough as leather.  I like ribs where the meat comes off the bone easily.  These ribs were a challenge to eat.  The same was true with the House of BBQ.  Juicy brisket and pulled pork...tough ribs.  Overall the house of BBQ was a disappointment.  We went there on Sunday (May 23) and the line was too long.  Went back on Tuesday (May 25) and all they had open were three booths open--one serving SDC's original sauce, another with the new honey-blackberry sauce and a third with a Carolina-style sauce.  I didn't see anything advertising Texas or Memphis style.  Also all the meat is cooked the same way in the same place. The only differences were the sauces used on the meat.  I was expecting a little more variety in the way the meats were prepared.  Regarding the rest of the park fare--of course the skillet, and bakery products continue to be wonderful.  It would be nice to see them come down in price on some of their food prices.  If they dropped food prices 15-20% and continued to offer the 10% discount for the season pass. That would seem a bit more reasonable.  But of course we're talking about theme park food here.  And food in a theme park (or ball park) is rarely reasonable.  Or, they could do something like Holiday World (Santa Claus, IN) does and offer free soft drinks in the park. Or wait, they have a Show Lovers Pass and the Trailblazer pass for the rides...what about a Food Lovers Pass--Pay $10.00 and save 20% on your food purchases for the day! Combine that with the Season Pass discount and that would be a pass I would buy!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
im with you on the bbq. i wish they put a little more effort into it being is that its in the festival name.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
Lets keep in mind that this is a theme park...not a restaurant.  They have the luxury of preparing on demand for the most part.  SDC doesnt have that luxury, let alone preparing in different manners.  Yes it can be expensive, buts lets keep things in perspective.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Lets keep in mind that this is a theme park...not a restaurant.  They have the luxury of preparing on demand for the most part.  SDC doesnt have that luxury, let alone preparing in different manners.  Yes it can be expensive, buts lets keep things in perspective.

Fair Enough.  But SDC advertises the "House of BBQ" on their website by saying "Try the nation's most popular flavors at The House of BBQ. From Memphis dry rubs and sweet and tangy Carolina vinegars to smoky Texas-style tastes and the Midwest's own Kansas City-style."  They didn't have that variety when I was there.

QueenMum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
We got our season passes mid-April and have been four times since. We have bought: bbq buffet at the mine once, one funnel cake, one skillet bowl, twisted tater on a stick, one pop with the purchase of a souvenir mug and four pop refills since, one ice cream float in the saloon, and three frozen lemonades. The prices aren't that bad, but if you notice, we don't usually eat meals there. We typically eat a big meal before we head to SDC and snack through the park.

Having a toddler, I sure hope they never stop us from bringing in food/drink. It's so much easier being able to whip out a snack for her (or a bottle of water for myself) than stopping what we're doing to find something at a stand. I think being able to bring your own things make the trip affordable for families. I love going through the parking lot in the tram seeing families around their car having a picnic. I grew up doing this as did my husband. It makes it affordable. Affordable = MORE trips to SDC!

There are a few things that are just plum outrageous. Compared to other theme parks, though, I am very pleased with the pricing. The food quality is what I would expect. I'm happy it's not carnival fare, it's actual food!
Mommy to a beautiful two year old and wife to my high school sweetheart.