Author Topic: Opinion on park foodservice is it getting better or worse?  (Read 14249 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile

I have been traveling to the city for 30 years and have seen many changes with the foodservice in the park.  What are your opinions on changes good or bad and do you have any suggestions?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Opinion on park foodservice is it getting better or worse?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
One thing that I have noticed is that the rolls that they use as buns at the Rib House for the Pulled Pork have seemed to gotten smaller since the start of the year.  I thought it was my imagination earlier this month (or that I got the "unluck" of the draw) but this past weekend I went to Rib House again and the bun was just as small, so it looks like those portions are getting smaller.  Food is still good, just less for the money.
SWOOSH

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Food service is great, food value is declining and food quality is steady to lower.

In all seriousness I don't think that you get nearly the amount of food for your money as you used to.  And it truly has made us change the way that we plan trips there now.  We don't eat on park.  Or if we do we find a way to split things or  get just a snack. 
That being said...the sausage rolls at eva and delilahs are imo the best value on park and possibly anywhere for breakfast.
The potato bowls have gotten too high (but I must be the only person that thinks this since the lines are outrageous) and the "seasonal foods" make it hard to grab something for less than 9.00/plate from what I saw. 
I think that SDC does their best to put a quality product out but I think that they will see less and less money spent on food, since we consider eating there a splurge.

Oh, but please, Please,please SDC don't take away our ability to bring on our own food a drink.  It is a lifesaver...especially with the snacks for the kiddos
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
One thing that I have noticed is that the rolls that they use as buns at the Rib House for the Pulled Pork have seemed to gotten smaller since the start of the year.  I thought it was my imagination earlier this month (or that I got the "unluck" of the draw) but this past weekend I went to Rib House again and the bun was just as small, so it looks like those portions are getting smaller.  Food is still good, just less for the money.

I agree.  Also, we've thought that we had less meat sometimes.  Still good.

Oh, but please, Please,please SDC don't take away our ability to bring on our own food a drink.  It is a lifesaver...especially with the snacks for the kiddos

I completely agree with this!  We still bring a little container of Goldfish crackers sometimes.  Now, it won't be long before the baby will need little snacks.  Those little snacks are nice when waiting for shows and such.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »

SDC foods are getting institutional and allot more expensive, even considering inflation.
The key to selling food is either to sell it cheap, or to sell something nobody else has, I feel SDC is failing both of these points.
The food is now institutional for the most part ( Bakery and some candy aside) They have pans of food there but they havent cooked the stuff, they have opened a can or a bag.
And its so high I cant justify the cost.
I was looking at an email I just opened and they have a new BBQ buffet this year.

" This special dining experience is $20 for Adults (age 12+), and $13 for Children (age 5-11). Children 4 and under eat free. Price includes drink, but not tax or gratuity."

These is absolutely no way I can justify that expense. 
THey would get more from me if they had more realistic prices, or really good foods.
At one time that was the case.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
yeas i agree that $20 is WAAAAy to much for a buffet. i thought that when they had that hollidaybuffet during christmas. but anyway i think $10 is reasonable price per person and as far as the food coming out of a bag or can or whatever, yea i agree but still better then most theme park food

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
Having visited several parks, Most notably the Six Flags and Disney franchises, I think it is much nicer than what I have experienced- the typical hot dog/corn dog, gargantuan slice of mediocre pizza, or average burger and fries, overpriced mass produced candies. I have a soft spot for the SDC food though since I always looked forward to having "something different" than the usual pastas and entrees that we would have at home. I know it is "home cooking" to an extent, but not my home.

I have recently began making my own cinnamon coated nuts, and peanut brittle to remind me of the park between my frequent visits, but I have yet to try the homemade kettle corn-I still have to resort to getting that from the guy making it on the parking lot at the local hardware store.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
10.00 not including a drink would be a good deal to me, and the facts are that people don't eat as much at a buffet as you would think, by volume the food actually goes further on a buffet than plating it. ( experence managing restaurants)

I would like SDC to give me something to keep me there longer, as a SP holder I actually go for a few hours then I am off to Branson to run around town.  My food dollar is spent in Branson.
SDC misses my food money, I almost feel bad that I don't spend more there as I love the place, but they need to make a change......
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:50:39 PM by mhguy77 »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
That $20 buffet is to be offered in the Reunion Hall, only on the weekends during the Bluegrass and BBQ festival, and it's all you can eat.  I know a lot of people who can put away a ton of BBQ, so at that, it might be a reasonable price.  Call it a preferred dining experience if you want.  Still, at the Red Gold, you will still be able to get your BBQ dinner for around $10. 

I don't really have a beef with the price of food at SDC.  It seems reasonable for being able to get a wide variety of things to eat.  Several of you have mentioned that portions seem to be smaller.  I don't know.  But I do know that I used to be able to buy a good sized candy bar for a quarter, and now I have to pay a buck for one half that size.  So...say what you will.

My only problem with food service at SDC is that it generally takes a long time for the servers to prepare and serve it.  We have a lot of elderly people in those positions, and, nothing against them, but many of them are just slow.  For example...standing in line at the Springhouse...
"What do you want sonny?" 
"I'd like some spaghetti in a bread bowl with meatballs." 
"OK, ...let's see, where are those bread bowls.  Hmmm, they're here somewhere...ah, here they are.  OK, you wanted spaghetti?" 
"Yes, maam." 
"Well, just let me ladle some into this here bread bowl.  Do you want sauce on that?" 
"Yes, maam." 
"OK, here you go." 
"Maam, I wanted meatballs too." 
"Oh...you want meatballs?" 
"Yes, maam." 
"OK, here you go...spaghetti in a bread bowl, with meatballs.  Do you want a breadstick with that?" 
"Yes, maam." 
"There you go." 
"Thankyou." 

Then I get to the register to pay, get out my employee ID card and say... 
"I've got spaghetti with meatballs in a bread bowl, and a coke...and I'm an employee." 
The cashier spends about a minute ringing up the total. 
"That'll be $9.65 (or whatever)" 
"Is that the employee price?" 
"Oh...you're an employee?" 
"Yes, maam, that's what I said." 
"Oh...OK...I'll have to void this out and ring you up again." 
Two minutes later I've paid and I'm finally eating.     

I appreciate the fact that SDC has jobs to offer these elderly folks, they are an integral part of SDC.  But sometimes I wish SDC would place younger people in these kinds of positions.  They need jobs as well, tend to move around a little faster, and often tend to be a little quicker on the uptake.  Let the older folks work in the merchandise shops or some place where the pressure to "move the line along" is not as great.

And that's all I got to say about that.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:29 AM »
The food and service at SDC is lacking.  The only value you get is the morning breakfast at Molly's.  The ribs used to be our favorite evening meal while in Branson, now we just skip it.  Cost is not the issue, the food is not the same as it was say ten years ago.

As far as going up against Six Flags, SDC city wins hands down.   As far as going up against Disney, that is a fight SDC does not want.  Yes Disney's food is higher in cost but they can wow you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »

20.00 is more that I pay for a meal at Bijans in Springfield ( Chicken Bijan that is)
I understand you are an employee and it sounds like bread
noodles,tomato and a cpl of meat balls is pretty high even at the employee price.
I agree with the fact that the ribs ext are not the same as they were, I remember the mile high pies, homemade stuff. Not that way anymore.
Food at Disney? I just came back, it was quite good, I might actually say it surpasses the food at SDC.  They do wow you and give you more than you expect. Just to clarify I am not talking about hamburgers and hot dogs, frankly those are not barometers of adult fare so I do not consider them.
Remember the Chef they used to have at SDC, they advertised him, I think that was a good idea.
Now I am afraid the salespeople from the food companies are the chefs, its all just rip the bag/open the can.
We need some of the old time quality....

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »
Yeah, I remember Chef Zader... Whatever happened to him?

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 05:56:20 AM »
We eat breakfast at the park if we have people with us, but if we are by ourselves, we eat before we get there. Even being season pass holders, the discount dont seem much like'a discount. We have also cut back to drink'n water, i dont see paying almost $2.00 ANYWHERE, for soda.
We do eat lunch there, but by supper time we are so wore-out that we go ahead & leave.
The food itself? Its good, but it could be better.
Live life like it's the last day!

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »
The quality and the value are both lacking at SDC when it comes to food.  It is a shame but they like so many other restaurants and guest service companys have lost their way looking at the bottom line. 

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
We love the cinnamon bread at Sullivan's Mill but the loaf is smaller than it used to be.  Also, on the Friday of anniversary weekend, we went to the mill before park opening to get a loaf.  We were anticipating hot bread but it was cold -- guess it had been baked the day before. :'(