Author Topic: SDC (& SDCFans.com) in the news!  (Read 8326 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC (& SDCFans.com) in the news!
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
I've been doing a little part time, on the side, freelance journalism over winter, and the first project concerning promotion of SDC is now out. There is a full page article in Peekaboo Magazine, Northwest Arkansas' Family Magazine, which is distributed in Washington and Benton Counties. The article is titled "50th Anniversary is Yearlong Party at Silver Dollar City," and it features the RiverBlast illustration and the 50th Anniversary logo as graphics. You can view the article at the Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

I was able to slip into the end of the article this line: "...visit the unofficial fan site, www.sdcfans.com." (Hey Steve, anything to help ya out!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC (& SDCFans.com) in the news!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
You rock! That's so awesome!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
Nice, Junior!

I didn't know you were from Pea Ridge. One of our earliest Branson-area trips involved stopping at Pea Ridge and taking a tour of the park and Buckhorn Tavern.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »
Wow, way to go on having your article published! I thought you did an excellent job composing, and writing your information. For the occasional Silver Dollar City visitor, or for someone who has never been to the park before, I think your article did an excellent job of wetting their appetites!

Also, including sdcfans.com into the end of your article was the perfect finishing touch! Now this website will be the last thing they read, and the first thing they will remember.  ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
Thanks for the complements on the story. I have submitted two additional SDC related articles to some regional magazines, one has been accepted, the other I have not heard back about yet. If all goes well, additional articles should appear in print in May and in June. I will pass along more info as it becomes available. Also a BIG SDC related project I've been working on should debut in a few weeks, I'll tell you more about that one later.  :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
I kept forgetting to comment on this until now -

Great Article Junior! We definitely appreciate the plug. Can't wait for the big project to be released.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
Speaking of which, how much longer until this big project is going to be released?

It's like trying to go to sleep on Christmas Eve. I just can't wait! :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
I think there are three regular contributors to sdcfans who are involved in big SDC related projects. RUBE DUGANS has a writing project that will be absolutely wonderful to see when it is released at some time in the future. My writing project is still in the development stages, so it's too early to discuss it. I hope it will find a receptive audience. More details on it within a few weeks.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
AND Rube has a 12 month calander in the works of his paintings! Only 3 more months to paint-both in painting time, and in how many more I have to complete!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
Another of my winter time writing projects has finally appeared in print! A story titled "Lost Rides and Attractions of Silver Dollar City" appears in the Summer, 2010 issue of Ozarks Reader Magazine, based in Neosho, MO. Alas, the editor did edit the piece, cutting references out to current attractions that replaced the "lost" rides and attractions. He did not want to include a "promotional" piece in his pages...and he unfortunately cut the "for more information" bit at the end, which included the Web site addresses for SDC and for SDC Fans! This piece was sent to the publisher prior to the opening of the 2010 season, and I was not aware at the time that the Rainmaker would be back this summer, so info about that was not included in the story. Anyhow, the overall piece turned out OK, and if you would like to look at it, check out the Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:27 PM »
Great article!  Thanks Junior.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
Thanks, Duelist! I'm attempting to place a few more little articles about the SDC anniversary year in regional magazines/newspapers, wish me well! :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
Go to the Flickr site mentioned at top of thread to see the latest story I've been able to get published about the SDC golden anniversary year. It appears in the online publication "Life in the Ozarks" based in Shirley, Arkansas. It appears in the July, 2010 edition. The tail end of the story mentions www.sdcfans.com. Plenty of photos with the article. The publisher was very kind to give me the feature article in her publication this month, and I thank her!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
I enjoyed reading your article Junior. It was well written and put together.

And I'm sure SDC enjoys this free advertising, as we all know SDCFans.com does  ;D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
I appreciate the kind words here. If I've played my cards right, an area newspaper in NW Arkansas may run an article about SDC that I submitted to it within the next few weeks. If they do, I'll post it here for you to see. Thanks again, everyone! Hope you have enjoyed seeing the articles. It's been fun writing them and trying to get them placed in periodicals in MO and AR.