Author Topic: SDC (& SDCFans.com) in the news!  (Read 8327 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC (& SDCFans.com) in the news!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
Hey y'all...a feature article I've written about Terry Wayne Sanders of SDC fame is out...it's in "Life in the Ozarks" Magazine, based in Shirley, Arkansas. (August 2010 edition)   It's posted on the Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Hope you like it! Terry is one of my favorite people at SDC!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
Another great article, Junior!  I think everyone loves Terry- may favorite character is the scarecrow he portrays during the Fall Craft Festival.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Wanted to add a story I did about the Hee Haw Theater in Branson (81-83) that appeared in the August issue of Life in the Ozarks Magazine. Check that Flickr site again! Thanks everyone!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
Yeah, Terry!  He is one of the hardest working guys in the ozarks, which has many.  But I bet he is the one that has the most fun.  Thanks Junior.
Vote to end 2020!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »
I feel like I have been blessed this year to return to news writing just a little bit. Outside my fun years in Branson working at SDC and Hee Haw Theater, my 20 years as a radio broadcaster were really great. About six years ago my wife and I had some major lifestyle changes happen, we made a major move to a different part of the state, she moved up in her career, I washed out and moved into something else. It was a hard adjustment for me, and still is sometimes. So returning to writing a little this year has been a real joy. The "Life in the Ozarks" on-line publication based in Shirley, Arkansas has made me a staff member, and I have a monthly column and two articles appear each month. If you are in the Truman Lake/Stockton Lake/ Lake of the Ozarks Region, look for a little free publication on racks in convenience stores, bait shops, and tourist places called "The Missouri Chigger." It's based in Lowry City, MO, and I contribute a story or two a month to it. All the articles I have been producing have somehow been related to Ozarks history and folklore. Of course, you've had a chance to see some of the SDC and Hee Haw related pieces on the Flickr site, and I'll post a few more before the year ends most likely. Thanks to all who have voiced their positive comments here, and I hope you have enjoyed what you have read.  :)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
Junior, is Life In The Ozarks anywhere around the Benton County area? Bentonville, Rogers, Siloam? I know it's online, but I will not have the laptop I am on now. After I move down there, all of my internet will be at the Gentry Library. Plus it sounds like a good magazine to read at night before bed or something.
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
Life in the Ozarks was a print publication for several years, but this spring went to on-line publication only. If you go to your search engine and type in "life in the ozarks" it should pop up to a main page. You can get a subscription to it, and they will give you a specific address to view the entire issue. There are articles each month on history, folklore, coming events, feature stories, columns about various topics pertaining to the Ozarks, an outdoors page, and so forth. It's a nice little publication, and I'm flattered they were interested in having me as a regular contributor and staff member. Thanks for your interest.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
I just discovered another SDC related article I'd written several weeks ago has appeared in "The Times of Northeast Benton County" newspaper in Pea Ridge, AR in the August 4, 2010 edition. It is posted on the Flickr site for those interested. It does mention SDCFans.com at the end. (Ya know I gotta plug our Website!)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
One of our friends here at SDCfans.com has been "quoted" in an article that appeared in today's (9/3/10) WHAT'S UP Magazine, a supplement to The Morning News of Rogers, AR! In an article about commercial show caves in the Ozarks our own Levi Tobias, a Marvel Cave guide, discussed tours at the cave. In discussing the lantern tours of the cave, Levi says "Since the lantern you're  holding is the only light, it adds a little extra spark to the tour." Tobias warns both the daytime and lantern tours are "strenuous" because of the 600 some odd stairs on the half mile tour. Levi says "but we don't ever go through the cave in one big line," he assures, "We take plenty of time to stop and tell stories." The article also takes a look at Blanchard Springs Caverns, Cosmic Caverns, War Eagle Cavern, and Onyx Cave. Way to go, Levi!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »
I am glad to hear yet another one of your articles has gotten published! Of course, the SDCFans.com plug is always an appreciated addition.  ;)

I have always been interested in the lantern tour of the cave, but I have not had a chance to try it yet. I bet the cave seems a whole lot bigger when you are exploring it piece by piece with only the ambieant glow of your lantern. I hope Levi didn't forget to mention that for most of those 600 stairs you walk down, and not up.  :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:39:57 PM by Ozark BBQ »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
Keepin busy there eh Junior? Nicely done again!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
The story with Levi was done by a staff reporter for the Morning News in Rogers, AR. I just stumbled across it while thumbing through the paper today.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
For those of you who have not been able yet to obtain a copy of my "Dugan Daze" booklet about the diving bell, I have a special treat for you! I published a short article about the diving bell as one of the stories in the October "Life in the Ozarks" on-line magazine based in Shirley, Arkansas. I have added it to my Flickr site. The Flicker site address is at the top of this thread. It also features 8 diving bell photos, a few that you may not have seen before. Check it out! Enjoy!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
I wrote another short article on SDC and the Old Time Christmas event now underway, it was published in "Life in the Ozarks" Magazine, based in Shirley, Arkansas. I was able to include a plug for SDCFans.com at the end of it. I hope it will steer a few new folks our way here!