Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157956 times)

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
A few years ago there used to be a Hound Dog over by the homestead/petting farm area.  Does anyone know what happened to that dog?  I always wanted a blood hound, but my fiance didn't want a big dog so we settled on a basset hound.  He is the best! I'm going to the City this weekend, excited to meet this new addition to the City!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Oh, I remember that hound dog! He was the cutest thing EVER. I think I actually have him on video, along with a cute pony. I'll have to find and check the video, but it might be a while; I think it's on a tape from when I used my mom's camcorder, and hers are larger tapes than my camcorder's.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
I think his name is Jack, who belongs to Keather (Homestead cook) & her husband, who works at the petting area.  I'll try and remember to ask them on my next visit.  Somewhere, I have a great shot of the hound dog with his owners  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
There are lots of liability issues with a petting farm.  At the place I worked, we had miniature burrows (like the ones that were in SDC's old petting location).  They were behind a chain link fence, but a kid stuck his arm through and the thing (the burrow, not the fence) bit him.  It wouldn't let go of the kid's arm, and I couldn't get my adult hands through the fence to try to pry its mouth apart.  I was really afraid the arm would be broken.  When finally the burrow released him, the boy had a nice dental imprint, lightly bleeding, to show for his stupidity.  Things are on the other side of fences for a reason, people!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2010, 11:12:11 PM »
There are lots of liability issues with a petting farm.  At the place I worked, we had miniature burrows (like the ones that were in SDC's old petting location).  They were behind a chain link fence, but a kid stuck his arm through and the thing (the burrow, not the fence) bit him.  It wouldn't let go of the kid's arm, and I couldn't get my adult hands through the fence to try to pry its mouth apart.  I was really afraid the arm would be broken.  When finally the burrow released him, the boy had a nice dental imprint, lightly bleeding, to show for his stupidity.  Things are on the other side of fences for a reason, people!

That's not a liability issue, that's just a life lesson. :D

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
I kinda hope he still has the scars.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
So did we all just miss it or is it a new addition?

Yeah so Tony Orlando's "Yellow Ribbon" Granite Ball on water from CC is now at the entrance to Grand Expo... might make it interesting when the Christmas Parade goes through there.... I don't know if they thought of that  :o ;D
SWOOSH

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »
I had never gone to CC, so I had no idea where the ball came from.

I wish they hadn't covered up the big entrance logo that was there.

It was there a couple weeks ago but I had never seen it before.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the ball was great fun. Kind of felt like a Herculean effort to stop it, once I was able to get it rolling pretty fast, then stop it and redirect the motion in the other direction all solo. BUT IT IS NOW IN SDC????? this is a memorial for war from the 2oth century...in the expo now? I would reather have seen an antiqued/aged memorial to the soldiers past and present to fit into the area. I totally agree with the idea, but not the ball IN Sdc. I guess with the money paid by Tony Orlando and SDC was enought to relocate it. I would rather have seen an obelisk with inscriptions, or something tied in with Love My Country-have the store relocated, and have the memorial out in front of the store. This would have been a great way to recognize the serving members of HFEC which would be better than a sign near the flag pole.

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
In answer some eariler question the city owns 2 bloodhounds, a male and female, Jake and Georgia. Georgia is the one you see at the homestead, us robbers use jake at the show.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
I finally got to the city on 4/15/10.

We decided to go to the city on a Thursday to avoid the crowds but little did I know that there would only be 2400 people there.  That info from a ride op that I know on a friendly basis ( not a line in the place) Not so great for the city but wonderful for me.

Line items

1. Fire in the Hole additions are great, they fill the gaps in the ride both in story impact and lessening the black emptiness that was taking over the ride.
2. Area music was detectable in all areas of the city and rides.  I could hear the fire in the hole theme better than ever.( this is really important to the mood of the park)
3. The non specific atmosphere music was bluegrass in nature, they weren’t playing new music it was in the flavor of the SDC music I grew up with.  (Although the powder keg workers were repeatedly making fun  of the music and were making a list that they were going to download, burn and play at the ride, this was information was publicly shared over the ride speaker system.  I am aware that the same guys have been running powder keg for a few years but they might need a refresher on the idea that the music and there efforts are  for the guests, not themselves and there tastes. Nothing positive about what those guys were doing at all. (Bad Show)
4. The new ride looks great, I love the mist and all.  I was there for 10 min or more looking and not 1 person rode by, it was 80 and sunny.  They were riding the other water rides.
5. Things in the park have been spruced up, the signs on 76/Indian point turn look really good.
6. While on Powder Keg at the top I noted that you can really see civilization now, and SDC is responsible for some of it including the new parking area they are working on.
7 The street shows were a throw back to the past, they are very welcome.
8 SDC is smart by not charging a fortune for there t-shirts, they are very reasonable in comparison to other parks.  it’s a cheap way to advertise.

All in all it was a short day but a nice one.
They were all very friendly and as I stated things are a little fresher, I am so happy they spread around the cash this year and didn’t invest every dime in the new  ride.
I am looking forward to the year, I will not make it on the anniversary but I will be there in spirit!

I still think those guys at Powder Keg were very negative repeatedly making comments about the music ( Ricky Skaggs) on the pa system and planning what “ They” will be playing.  That left a  bad taste …..

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
Thank you for sharing your trip experience with us! I am glad you had a really nice time. I have to admit, I love it when I attend Silver Dollar City, and there are few people there. It’s like I have the whole park to myself! Hey, I wonder if Silver Dollar City would block off an entire day just for sdcfans.com members only? :D Okay maybe not, but I am glad crowds were not an issue when you visited.

I am sorry to hear about the ride operator’s taste in music on PowderKeg. I am a huge bluegrass fan myself which is not typical of most people my age (25). Part of the reason I love Silver Dollar City is because you can literally walk through an atmosphere of bluegrass music throughout the park. It’s almost as if the music was mysteriously flowing from around the hillside bend. That’s a unique experience that you rarely find anywhere else.

I too am so happy that Silver Dollar City is investing in refreshing the existing park this year rather than wasting more money on cookie cutter attractions.

Thanks for the review!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2010, 12:53:49 PM »
I kinda can't blame the PK operators. When Tinmann and I stood in line for some 45-ish minutes, we heard the PK song... I have no idea how many times. I imagine for those working the ride ALL DAY, that song can get old VERY fast.

I think it'd be nice if perhaps they has some atmospheric sounds (like in the Wildfire queue) to break up how often the PK song is played.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Personally, I think the PK crew needs to "stick to theme" and NOT discuss music they want to burn on a disc on the PA system. This ain't a run of the mill amusement park...it's SDC...where standards should ALWAYS be higher than elsewhere. I am old school, I admit, but when it comes to SDC, I am HARD CORE old school. Don't #&%$ with my SDC. (Whew, off the soapbox for now...)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
#&%$ with = mess with