Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 158012 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
I watched a Thunderation employee texting in between loading cars, talk about odd new-fangled futuristic communication devices! I was ready to run and tell the Sheriff and the Preacher we had a witch in our midst!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Maybe if employees feel the need to use cellphones, they should be required to get them customized by those awesome guys who do steampunk laptops/etc. LOL

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
I don't know what the employee rules say, but if I was writing them, I'd say that no Citizen should ever be seen by guests with:
1. Cell phone or pager
2. Wrist watch
3. Music player (iPod, etc.)
4. Period-inappropriate jewelry (pretty much anything other than a plain wedding band or a locket for women)
5. Sunglasses

I cut some slack on prescription glasses, just because they're so expensive, but I always prefer period-style glasses.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
I agree with your entire list, I think that the sunglasses is the only thing I might make a exception to if they were peiriod glasses, ( does that even exist?) but the sun has gotten mush worse in the past years for me as well as everyone else I think.
The cell phone thing is far and away just plain wrong.

Back to my music problem, the deal is that when I hear Allison Krauss or Boot Scootin Boggie  it just isnt SDC.  God knows the guys at Powder Keg dont need to listen to that theme more than once an hour, I am a humane man, long gone are the days of the Fire in the hole theme or The Flooded Mine, these new themes are pretty week.  The plunge is really week but I think that the Powder Keg is probably the weekest.
Just let the theming people pick the music that is played, it really does come down to are " We" sick of the music they play or are " They"........
And for god sakes remember that negativity in any way casts a bad spell on the day, I found that situation negative.

I

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
KB-
Believe it or not, those are the exact rules, with the addition of brown or black shoes only...no modern tennis shoes.  And special mention was made in orientation this year concerning cell phones.  It would appear that some employees didn't get the message.  And I would agree with all those rules...for employees wearing period costumes.  M&C employees, E&E technicians, management personnel, and office types, don't wear those type of clothes, and therefore should be exempt from those restrictions, IMO.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
KB-
Believe it or not, those are the exact rules, with the addition of brown or black shoes only...no modern tennis shoes.  And special mention was made in orientation this year concerning cell phones.  It would appear that some employees didn't get the message.  And I would agree with all those rules...for employees wearing period costumes.  M&C employees, E&E technicians, management personnel, and office types, don't wear those type of clothes, and therefore should be exempt from those restrictions, IMO.

Not trying to drive too far off topic, however I have always been curious, are there two different sets of rules between the street entertainers who are in full character, versus a generic ride operator? It would seem like the street entertainers would have strict rules, while the ride operator's would have less restrictive. Maybe they are both the same as long as you are an employee inside the gate. :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:26:13 AM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
During my time on park, no cellphones or Ipod's existed. (Sony Walkman was a new fad) but if anyone was out of theme, it would be addressed immediately by the lead man or the area manager. One guy I worked with pierced an ear and was ordered to cover it with a band aid or go home. The second you see a costumed person at SDC use a cell phone or text...ask someone else at the attraction to point out the attraction manager...then be nice, but very firm in your statement/complaint. They will get the message. If you are leaving the park for the day and see someone doing the guest surveys, pull them aside and lodge a complaint there. Those surveys are looked at by management and things will be addressed if they are made aware.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
I think the list probably makes sense for citizens that are on their working hours.  However, if they are on break, I think it would not be so good (mainly for the cell phones and music players).  There could potentially be some legal issues if SDC tried to mandate that all employees can't use any of those items.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
In my opinion, it's OK for employees to use them on break...just not in front of guests in a themed area of the park. Employee lounge...yes, hospitality house, marketplace, ticket booth and other "modern" areas, maybe...not on Main St.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »
I don't know what the employee rules say, but if I was writing them, I'd say that no Citizen should ever be seen by guests with:
1. Cell phone or pager
2. Wrist watch
3. Music player (iPod, etc.)
4. Period-inappropriate jewelry (pretty much anything other than a plain wedding band or a locket for women)
5. Sunglasses
This is pretty much the required rules, there are certain members of leadership that have cell phones, but are for safety use only.

I watched a Thunderation employee texting in between loading cars, talk about odd new-fangled futuristic communication devices! I was ready to run and tell the Sheriff and the Preacher we had a witch in our midst!
I hope that if you ever see this happen again you would contact a member of management, this is a safety issue.

M&C employees, E&E technicians, management personnel, and office types, don't wear those type of clothes, and therefore should be exempt from those restrictions
I still think that these people should talk on their cell phones in the back of the house areas, unless it is a safety issue. It always looks bad to have any employees yakking away on a phone.

generic ride operator
Strange use of words, these are the people who actually work, not sit around and play checkers in the corner someplace.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »
If you are going to push the "theme" this far, then consider the cash registers....credit card readers....atm machines.  Where is the line to be drawn?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
If you are going to push the "theme" this far, then consider the cash registers....credit card readers....atm machines.  Where is the line to be drawn?

The "line" is definitely subjective. The theme is everything when it comes to Silver Dollar City. However, it's important to consider that Silver Dollar is not an authentic recreation of the 1880's. Silver Dollar City takes modern day objects, and makes them look like they belong in the theme of the 1880's. For example a cash register hidden behind a wooden box, or a music speaker under a fake rock.

On the other hand, some things you just simply cannot incorporate into the theme such as a microphone stand on stage.  However, when an employee pulls a cell phone out of their pocket, that is where you draw the line. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:42:59 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »
Get some of those guys who make steampunk computers to customize the cash registers! :)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »
With theme aside, I think it is a safety issue for an employee working a ride to be messing around with a cell phone. Please let people know if this is going on! It needs to be addressed.

Now back to theme, I think it is more about fooling your senses and coming up with gadgets and inventions to hide the theme. It would be impossible to keep every modern element out of the park. Andy Miller said that it should fall in the realm of the past. In other words not everything is from 1880 and before. In fact there is a lot from the 1900s in the park, but it looks old so people except it.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
Very good point Copper, as a history teacher I see many anachronisms for the 19th century, HOWEVER they seem to fit. Rusty 1920's bedframes, 1940s factory equipment, and so many others are there... yet they fit.