Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157931 times)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »
I was there, today (Friday) from 8:30, until close, 7 p.m..  Excellent weather, started off with a small crowd, then topped 16,000.  The lines were INSANE, Wildfire was all the way to the Plunge entrance (tunnel), PK was headed down the hill, and I can say I've never seen the Grand Expo so packed!  The cave is only giving "half" tours, you walk down to the shoe room, then walk back up, because of flooding.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »
I love Silver Dollar City, but I cannot deal with long lines! ;)

The last time I visited Silver Dollar City they were only doing half tours of the cave also. However, it was due to some type of gas in the lower chambers being above the limits. Maybe it was carbon dioxide? I don't remember. After walking down all those stairs to about the half way point, I had the "pleasure" of climbing each one all the way back to the entrance.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
Anyone brave the crowds on Young Heathens... I mean Christians Weekend?
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
^The crowds on Sunday were perfect. The only line that was long was PK and it went through the entire queue building to the doors. Several citizens said that the park was packed on Saturday though.

I am convinced that this will be the best season SDC has ever had!! The nostalgia is all over the park and I love the improvements that have been made all over the park. RB was fantastic!!!!! SUCH a great theme and the ride will be a lot of fun in the summer. I rode it twice and my sister and I had the ride to ourselves. Temps were in the low 50's. Didn't get too wet because no one was in the area to shoot at us, but you're going to get soaked on the ride as soon as the thermometer reads 80.

We bought several 50th anniversary merchandise items. Got the Beverly Hillbillies DVD. We also bought a print of Jack Dawson's, Memories Worth Repeating painting. The print has his autograph and the 50th anniverary coin. SUCH a great painting and depicts everything SDC stands for. If you haven't seen it, get to the park and take a look!

All in all, great day.  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:35:21 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
Wow, Coaster it sounds like you had an incredible trip! You just described to me what I would consider a near perfect day at Silver Dollar City would be like.

I am not a big spender on merchandise, but this year I think Silver Dollar City will be getting their money's worth out of me. Or maybe it’s the other way around?  ;D

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
Last night I had a nightmare that SDC was inside of a mall. Thank God this isn't true. It was such a beautiful great day in the city!

Some tips if you haven't been yet this season: Catch some action on the square during your day. They're bringing the street shows back this year and you don't want to miss that. Make sure you stop by the Bittersweet Gallery in Midtown! The paintings are fantastic, and the citizens are always willing and happy to explain the hidden meanings.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
There is another group that performs at the entrance to Echo Hollow, but it's not on the path finder schedule.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »
^Thanks for the info Swoosh. 

Has anyone else noticed that the milk cow is gone from Wilson's Farm? Are they going to bring it back? I never actually saw it up and running, working correctly.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
Yeah, I noticed the cow was gone. Kinda disappointed. I wanted my niece to be able to check it out last year, but the udders were either not working or at least one was hanging off.

I wonder if she's gone for maintenance?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
^That's what I was thinking as well. I hope they get it up and working soon, it adds a great touch to the area.

TGS was also broken down for over half the day. It seems that it breaks down more than any other ride at the park...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
Mmm... I dunno. It seems like Powderkeg is down quite a bit as well. In fact, me and Tinmann only got to ride it once the day we went 'cause it took forever for it to open and then was closed later and finally we were able to go on it as our last ride of the day.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »
We had a wonderful weekend at SDC.  The park is as clean and shiny as I have ever seen it.  It was busy but not crowded.  And of course we had nearly perfect weather. 
First the good- The gentleman who works the frozen lemonade stand in the GE might be the most cheerful and friendly person in the park. He has a smile and greeting for everyone and he remembered us from last summer, seriously, that is some great customer service.  Also, the ride operator in the GE (he was on teacups Friday and the Elephants on Saturday) who quacks and gets the kids all excited...Thanks, you make it more fun. (if you have spent much time in the GE you know who I mean)

A question- Why are the running the buses more and the trams less?  We just walk into the park instead of trying to collapse the double stroller for a short bus ride...the trams really are more convenient.

A suggestion- The Easter Egg hunt was a wonderful idea.  And if it weren't for a few very rude people it would have been incredibly fun. Friday we were nearly trampled by tweens jamming their jackets and pillowcases full (not a joke) and with their parents helping them. I did speak up when a teenager took the egg that my 20 month old was trying to pick up.  Saturday things were a little smoother, mostly because it seemed to be less people trying to knock people down.  My suggestion- Divide the park into sections by age and let the hunt be from 9-930 with everyone split up.  Also, advertising it as a contest probably added to their troubles. My kids didn't even care that the eggs were empty, it was just exciting to them to see all those eggs all over the park.

Fire in the hole and the flooded mine looked great.  The work that they did inside was very apparent.

The merchandise all looked nice.  Peanut brittle was buy one get one free. 

It really was one of our best trips ever to  SDC.  Cant wait for May 1st to do it again! 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
I'm still curious...is the anniversary book out yet and how much does it cost? What other anniversary merchandise is there? Ball caps, t-shirts, mugs...and so on? Any retro-looking stuff, and if so, what do they have?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sdcforever

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »
I don't know about t-shirts, etc. but they have info and photos on the 50th Celebration Commemorative Collection from their Master Craftsmen on their website.  It all looks nice!  Check it out here:  http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/specialty-shops/detail.aspx?AttractionID=1396

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
I'm still curious...is the anniversary book out yet and how much does it cost? What other anniversary merchandise is there? Ball caps, t-shirts, mugs...and so on? Any retro-looking stuff, and if so, what do they have?

These two pictures belonging to tinmann620 should help with part of your question. When I go into the souvenir shops this year I am going to act like a sugar filled kid in a candy store!  :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/4446359119/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/4444088909/