Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 158123 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
There are surely other, more complicated reasons behind why they are only able to run limited trains on certain rides. For example, they may not have enough staff to legally/properly operate at full capacity on every ride during this time. There's also the issue of certain trains being broken, as I've witnessed the sensors go foul on several PK trains, causing huge delays. Then there's maintainence and inspection issues, such as a train or arm needing to be inspected by a state or certified inspector before being put back into operation... The list goes on I'm sure.

As far as Taffy goes, I've seen them making it a lot during the Christmas season, but I never go in there any other time.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
On SDC's site it says Lost River and American Plunge are closed until April sometime but you guys said it is open. So was that an opening weekend only deal or will they be open this weekend as well?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »
I wonder if Lost River and American Plunge were due to the good weather...?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
THey do make some Taffy but there is no way to make enough.  THey peuchase the bulk of it form a company in Salt Lake City....
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »
I wonder if Lost River and American Plunge were due to the good weather...?

I'd say they were open so that the crowd could be more evenly distributed.  American Plunge was not initially open on Friday, but was the sea of humanity continued to pour into the park they needed to put them somewhere
SWOOSH

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »

I do have an inquiry about the taffy shop, then I was a boy there were always making/ producing taffy ( in the old location)  I think I have seen them doing it 1 time in the new shop.  Now I know the taffy they sell in brought in but you would think they could make 1 flavor consistently for kinetics in the shop, its a little dead.

The taffy shaped like long tootsie rolls are made in Silver Dollar City. The round ones are shipped in.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
Once in the taffy shop they were making a special order for someone-a full batch of Apple Cider Vinegar taffy for a birthday that had been ordered. When pulling it, they even snipped off a piece for me to try warm (it was great by the way and I dislike vinegar). Whenever I have witnessed them wrapping the candies, the machine ALWAYS is malfunctioning. I think I remember them telling me last year that it wraps correctly about 60% of the pieces on a GOOD DAY, and that particular day was not a good day!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
As I understand it, the humidity wreaks havoc with the machinery, as well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 06:20:38 AM »
Can anyone tell me about the minting machine that made coins? That came along after my time there.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
It was a large coin "press". A blank would be placed in the die, and the customer would walk the arm of the press around lowering the upper die. After a lap or two pulling the arm, the coin would be pressed. You would then walk the arm the opposite way, and raise the die leaving the coin! My photos are not with me today, but I will post several this evening of the "mint" and the coins. The press still is in the land of forgotten crafts outside the Opera House.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
Thanks, Rube! I've always wondered what the coins looked like.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 02:26:44 PM »
I will try to get a better photo of my coins (I have all years from 88'-92')

And I couldn't find in my 1000's of photos the sing of the "Silver Dollar City Mint", however I did find an old slide of the press (partially) atleast... You can see the housing die that would be lowered...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:29:07 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
I seem to remember that pieces from the SDC furniture factory are inlaid with a SDC coin. Is this the same design as the minted coin you've posted?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
It is very similar, those however ate not minted on site (from what I know) and are made of copper/ bronze. I believe there are 50th anniversary coins inlaid in the furnature this year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
I'll be at the park on Sunday. I think most of the YCW crowd will be gone since Saturday is the big day, so it should be another great day in the city. There's a chance of rain but I won't let that dampen the trip.

I'm so excited!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."