Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 158120 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
I didn't do the panning, but that's 'cause I panned at War Eagle the weekend before. I got myself some good stuff from that, so I'm eager to try out the one at SDC.

Just one quick question: how much is it for one of the bags?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
$8.00..... :(
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »
^Good grief! That's highway robbery. How big are the bags?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
Are all the bags the same size? 'Cause if so, those bags I saw in the little makeshift store by the ride are a bit small for that price. The one I did at War Eagle was $8.50, and it had to have been twice the size of the bags I saw at SDC.

Then again, it all depends on what stones are included in the bags. The one I did had sapphire and citrine and I think I managed to grab one or two emeralds; still not sure if any of the reddish stones are rubies, still need to do a bit of research to figure out.

So, depending on how much you can find in a bag, $8 may actually be worth it. Panning for gems really is a bit of a crapshoot, really. (is that an okay word to use? I'm really not sure... LOL)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
For the kids, it's more about the experience then the actual end result.  I'm just saying.
SWOOSH

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
They actually have a smaller bag that's $6.00...that's the one we bought.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
To be more accurate, shouldn't they "pan for gold"?  For most "gems" a mining operation is needed.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:08 AM »
To tell you the truth my 6 year old just started sifting thru the sand that was in the bottom of the flowing trough..   She found several gems for free.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
So on opening day the parking lot wasn't too full around midday, but yet EVERYTHING had a huge line.  I'm guessing it has to do with people not in the water ride lines?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Nope, can't be the water ride lines; I didn't end up going on Lost River cause of the line.

I think it's cause there were next to zero shows going on.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
Usually opening weekend they never have enough staff on hand and always fall back on "we didn't expect that many people."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
I did the sluice back when it first opened at the other location in SDC. I think that now it will have SOO much more business being in the middle of the city, as opposed to the outskirts. Right across from the wax hands, it is a great place to have the family play!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
SDC doesn’t really have enough rides to be open with so few shops and shows operating. I have seen this time and time again. FITH had four trains operating and still had a full queue line. And for most of Thursday & Friday the line extended to the Saloon. The problem here, no Opera House and Saloon Show to help pull people out of the lines. When SDC is fully operational the park is working in balance, but ride days and ride nights see long lines. 

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »
I appreciate the shows pull a lot of folkes but powder keg and TNT were both down a train and giant swing only one arm in operartion. Surely with no shows they would maximize ride production?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
"Surely with no shows they would maximize ride production?"
I always was told that they had to take the ride down for an extended period of time to introduce another train/car/arm.  Honestly I always thought that was a cheap excuse, I have been there and had a full park and they are running 1 train, you might be able to get away with that on Waldfire ( 32 or so per train) But Powder Keg rarely has 2 trains when I am there and they are always busy. Seems the down time would pay off quickly by speeding the line up.
Sometimes I don't understand their practice.

I do have an inquiry about the taffy shop, then I was a boy there were always making/ producing taffy ( in the old location)  I think I have seen them doing it 1 time in the new shop.  Now I know the taffy they sell in brought in but you would think they could make 1 flavor consistently for kinetics in the shop, its a little dead.