Author Topic: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???  (Read 36191 times)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »
We all love going to the city.  We all have great family stories and memories.  What is your favorite place in the city?  I asked myself this question and had a hard time coming up with one answer.
Down at the bottom of the cave.
Eating breakfast before the day starts and those silver dollar pancakes.
Watching the candy making or the glass blowing.
Riding the flooded mine.
How about riding the train or FITH.
At the top of the American Plunge or getting soaked on the lost river.
Watching the woodcarvers or stomping your feet with the wild women.
Eating ice cream with my Grandfather or eating ice cream with my grandson in the square watching everyone go by.

sdcforever

Re: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
I would have to say I have several.

-In the Cathedral Room of Marvel Cave
-Watching people go by while sitting in the square.
-Watching the Christmas Tree lighting
-Seeing Lookout Tower from the top of the hill when riding ThuNderaTion backwards ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
That's like asking cookie monster which cookie he enjoys most...IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!
Not really ;) I enjoy quiet moments in the Wilderness Church, a cold Sioux City Sarsaparilla on the porch of the old Basketry shop (apparently the future home sometime of the craft college), above the ball pit in the rope maze at Tom Sawyer's landing, the swinging Bridge atop Huck Finn's Hideaway , behind the waterfall, being on stage in Echo Hollow, being in line at the kettle corn (because you know what's coming very soon!), walking through the Eva and Delilah's & the candy store (even if you don't buy anything) Since most of these are gone now, My favorite at this point would have to be eating lunch on the porch of the Culinary Schools back porch (preferably BBQ during the Festival in the Fall) and then rocking and relaxing.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »
Eating breakfast quietly on the second floor dining area of the Mill Restaurant. The shady pathways around the leather shop and gun shop. Lunch on the second floor dining area of the Lumbercamp overlooking the waterfall. The Cathederal Room in the cave. When I was an employee, I enjoyed a quiet walk from where the plunge is now along the old stagecoach trail around to where the Fire in the Hole exit area is. Nice, shady, quiet, peaceful.
I always enjoy going from Sullivan's Mill across the swinging bridge to the woodcarvers shop. The smells inside Sullivan's Mill, the candy shop. In the fall during the crafts festival, a chill in the air, and the smell of wood burning in fireplaces in some of the older buildings. Off season, it was always fun to walk the streets after a snow. A few minutes alone in the Wilderness Church. When I worked there in food service I enjoyed working at Funnel Cakes on a cool spring day. Now when I visit, the Christmas season is nice with all the lights and the shops decked out so nicely. Dining in the mine, walking through the post office and general store. Even the smell of the asphalt streets on a hot day...just because I was there.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
I love the Swinging Bridge.  I have to go on it everytime I am at the park.

My favorite place to just "get away" is at the Rib House.  I get my food and go to the top deck on the Lost River side of the place.  I go to the Northeast Corner where the lost river goes right by it and it is just a very relaxing area to eat and get away from people (yes even with the ride near by).
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
To this day when I smell asphalt, I am mentally taken to Silver Dollar City ! I am not the only weird one then that thinks that smell=SDC. Man this thread is something I could read every day just to think about those places until it opens again. Funny that all of us responded with where we eat!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »
Nope asphalt reminds me of Worlds of Fun.  Big Skillet cooking smells remind me of SDC
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
My wife associates asphalt with Six Flags StL

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
Every time I step outside on an extremely hot day, when the blazing sun is baking the asphalt, that tangy scent of steaming blacktop ALWAYS zips my mind immediately to SDC. More often than not, if I am in company, I'll even go so far as to close my eyes and murmur, "Ah, Silver Dollar City. God, I wish I was there right now."

:D

I think my favorite place is to sit over at the picnic benches by Hatfield's Tater Patch, where one can smell the skillets and the blacktop while watching birds and squirrels flit about and listen to the screams of riders, buzz of the crowds, and music floating on the breeze.

And I'm gonna stop now, or I'll start crying. Geez, I've become such a sap. LOL

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 07:25:52 AM »
It is hard to pick just one place.  I love the swinging bridge.  When I was a boy my dad taught me how to walk, without jumping, on the bridge and make it bounce to your walk.
Being the last in line on the cave tour and being the last one in the Cath room.  How about apple dumpings with cinn ice cream.  Swinging in Grandfathers manson and watching everyone go by.

sdcforever

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »
I also love the swinging bridge and Grandfather's Mansion.  I have so many favorite places! ;D

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:01 AM »
I can't narrow it down to one either, but how about...

Front seat of PowderKeg
Last seat of Wildfire
Culinary School Porch
Upper deck of the Rib House (also my favorite place to eat--wonder if we've ever been there at the same time...)
Wilderness Church
Opera House for Dickens

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
On Wildfire at night.  On the train for the Christmas story.  In the middle of the opera house for the Christmas Carol.  On the square for the national anthem.
Vote to end 2020!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
I think my most precious memories were one that included my son.  He loved the ball pit, the Fireman's Climb and Frog Jumpin Contest.  I enjoyed watching him play in Tom Sawyer's Landing.

I am not sure but does anyone know if 1988 was the first Christmas season? 

As fas as myself, I enjoyed listening to the River Rats at the gazebo and eating ice cream at Hannah's Ice Cream Parlor.  I can just imagine Granny jumpin off the balcony in the Beverly Hillbillies.

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
I, like Rubedugans, associate the smell of asphalt with SDC - also the smell of smoke (from the barrel-maker during the Fall Festival), the smell of a bakery (mmm...Indian Bread) - I have to say my favorite place in SDC used to be the water-wheel/clock in the entry area, we used to take a picture there each time we were there when we (Rube and I) were young to serve as a date stamp on our photos. My favorite place now, though, is probably the area next to the American Plunge and the Apple shop - when the park isn't busy it's a lovely place to just be at peace.