Author Topic: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???  (Read 36193 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
As a guest the front seat of the train to look in the cab of the engine...as an employee...standing in the cab of engine 13!

Does that mean that, as a guest, I could get a front seat?

Lol, I meant, the front seat of car 1

No, no, no.  I want to drive!!!  I want to pull the whistle.  Maybe this orange cable will have the same effect...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »
Just trust me...it doesn't

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 11:46:54 PM »
I can't pick a favorite spot. Just being there does it for me.  The smells, train whistle in the back ground, the roar of Wildfire, music coming from everywhere...its tough to choose.  I think though my absolute favorite spot of SDC is during Christmas.  First listening to Grandpa quote Luke 2 from the train then standing in the square watching the tree light up for the first time of the evening.  I get chills every time.

I also like sitting on the boat in the lake in the cove that you can see from the top of Wildfire.  Its a neat perspective of the City.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
We have never gone into that cove but I am sure we will now.  That sounds like a really neat idea.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
I am seriously missing SDC right now!

One of my favorite things as a kid was as you were waiting in line at FITH and feeling how smooth the wooden railings are and smelling the asphault.

We always cross the the swinging bridge from the wood carvers going towards the mill.  And there is a little platform to take pictures.  We probably have 20 family pics in that same spot. 

The casket.

When they used to have muscians on the little house stage before you walk through the hospitality house I always wanted to stop and watch and my sister would get so mad!

Seeing the big logo as you pulled up on the green tram :(

Tom Sawyers landing.  It was so much fun.  And it always smelled like wood chips.

So many places. And they all have a special place in my heart.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

sdcforever

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
One of my favorite things as a kid was as you were waiting in line at FITH and feeling how smooth the wooden railings are and smelling the asphault.

Actually, I still do that and I'm in my twenties!  Every time I go on FiTH I run my hands along the railings; I love it when there isn't a line.  It's so smooth! :)

When they used to have muscians on the little house stage before you walk through the hospitality house I always wanted to stop and watch and my sister would get so mad!

Same for me growing up!  I always stopped, and my twin sister got so mad!

Tom Sawyers landing.  It was so much fun.  And it always smelled like wood chips.

I really miss the smell of the plastic in the ball pit. :'(

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »
SDC Rules-Are we related?

I am 27.  We seem to have had the same experiences of SDC in the mid-late 80s. 

Just remembered the greatest thing when I was a kid...The little door in the toy store (now the christmas shop)! 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »

Ahh the smell of the ball pit , plastic and who knows what else! (and now thanks to Junior-I will never enter another ball pit again!) I had a few of these early 80's slides posted elsewhere but felt they went well here!
Being of again the same age range as many of these recent postings, I love the same places and have the same memories.

The land of Forgotten Crafts was another favorite of mine....But it is mostly forgotten now. You would walk behind the waterfall, and make your way around, and walk up where Powderkeg is now. Log splitting, jump rope making, coin minting. What remains is the water wheel on the small building and the mint/press outside the Operahouse.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:50:50 PM by rubedugans »

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 02:21:08 PM »
Rube-You brought a tear to my eye.

And I loved walking behind the waterfall on a hot day!

I would still jump in the ball pit-gross stories and all! 

sdcforever

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
Saloongal--I'm pretty sure we're not related, though I notice we live pretty close to one another (I'm in the Columbia area).  I did not have another sister other than my twin sister (unless there's some deep, dark family secret I don't know about! ;)).

Rube-Thanks for the pics!

I too loved walking behind the waterfall and through the Land of Forgotten Crafts.  As a kid I used to imagine that I was passing through some kind of magic waterfall and into a whole different world or something.  (Matter of fact, I always used to pretend I was traveling back in time when I went through the turnstiles into the City).

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 06:49:04 PM »
The smell of asphalt...OMG...totally. The sound of the train rattling through the hills. But my favorite place, my absolute favorite place, early morning or late afternoon...is and always will be...the homestead. Whether Judy is storytellin' or the pickers are pickin'...or even if its between shows and just quiet there...that's where I feel most at home. ;D
Avid fan for 42 years.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Ah, more memories flooding back. When I close my eyes I can almost smell the plastic ball pit and how cold the plastic balls felt on my skin.
What upsets me though is that my daughter won't get to experience most of these due the "progress" of the city. The 2 changes that upset me the most about the park have to be the inaccessibility of Huck Finn's hideaway and the obliteration of Tom's Sawyer's landing. Did we really need to remove what I feel was the best playground area I have ever seen/experienced - something with physical activity for our kids and replace it with another freaking ride? I love rides too, but come on. Why don't we just rent the motorized karts at the front gate so that our kids never have to walk.

Sorry, I am getting down off the soapbox now.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »
Good post...couldn't agree more.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
I LOVED the ball pit as a kid!! I don't have much of a use for it now but I did when they took it out and I was mad.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 07:19:44 AM »
Hello Coaster, is there a way to get some of this feedback to SDC - and would it even be worth our time? I mean, do they even listen anymore?

Thanks,
Matt McLaughlin