Author Topic: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???  (Read 36196 times)

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite place in Silver Dollar City???
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:27:26 AM »
Thanks for all the mental images people!

I would have to say my favorites are Huck Finn's Hideaway and Tom Sawyer's landing. Both of which I think are gone or at least inaccessible now. :-(

These were things I hoped to share with my own kids.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
I, like so many, can't pin point 1 spot.  One of the joys is randomly walking, and the sudden aroma of the food engulfing me.  For the most part, I enjoy walking the "back ways", where traffic is limited, more serene.  Probably my favorite "spot" is relaxing in a rocking chair, on the cabin porch, listening to the many conversations.  There it feels most like "home"!

This is for you, twinsmom:
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
I watched that last night!!! I needed a fix of SDC. My wife said "It hasn't even been a month yet (since we have been there)" and I told her that firstly that didn't matter, and secondly that it is the idea that even if I wanted to go now, I couldn't! I would take anyplace there right now, including waiting in line to have my pass scanned at the front gate, or waiting for the tram to pick us up to take us to parking Lot C!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
Tinmann, thanks for the picture.  Of course, I had to save it to my pictures.  My work computer has nothing but Silver Dollar City pictures so even if my computer is idle my screensaver is a slideshow of my pictures.

What is even greater is the anticipation of the Birthday Bash!! I can't wait.... I am even taking my girls out of school for two days so I can be there that Friday.

Also, this year my son has carried on the tradition of Silver Dollar City by taking his family to the park.  I knew I raised him right!  haha

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »
Ah...the smells....the smells....THE SMELLS!!!  Gotta love that smell.  The hot asphalt mixed in with all the smoke.  Wood smoke, coal smoke...gotta love it! 

I can't narrow it down where my favorite place is.   I love the water wheel clock at the entrance, the water wheel at the mill, waiting in line at the Flooded Mine singing the song, the swinging bridge, the train, Fire in the Hole, sitting at the Firemans cemetary listening to the FITH dialog, the woodcarvers, the glass blowing, the candy making, sitting on the porch at the homestead, looking out the back of the wilderness church, the smell of the leather shop, but probably my favorite would be watching Ray Johnson hammer his trade and tell his stories.  All I can say is WOW!  Can't wait for this season!!!!!!!!!

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
"and you might get out if the mine don't flood"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
Having been born and raised in Missouri, I can attest that the smell of tar almost immediately makes me think of SDC, but I agree that it is also a Six Flags STL memory trigger as well.

My favorite place has to be anywhere there is a George Keiffer painting or mural.   The dark, dank and cozy little corners of SDC like Big Jack's, the Candy Factory (naturally ;-)

Working there has certainly given me a new perspective on some of my favorite places.  The Candy platform will always be one of my favorite places
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
Speaking of smells, has anyone ever noticed that Fire-in-the-Hole has a distinctive smell of its own?  And am I weird that I love that smell as much as the blacktop of the City?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:26 PM »
FITH smells graphite and axle grease  ;D
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:42 AM »
As a guest the front seat of the train to look in the cab of the engine...as an employee...standing in the cab of engine 13!

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
Well just like you guys I can't narrow it down to only one place. I love so many areas of the park for so many different reasons. But if I were kidnapped and forced to name 1 spot... I would say it would be eating spaghetti in a bread bowl at the SpringHouse, sitting out in the open area against the wall facing the candle shop. From there you can see the candle shop, smell the bread from the bakery, see all the kids going into Grandfather's mansion, and hear the hammer of the Blacksmith Shop. It's just incredible food at an incredible location.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
As a guest the front seat of the train to look in the cab of the engine...as an employee...standing in the cab of engine 13!

Does that mean that, as a guest, I could get a front seat?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
There is no better place than sitting down at the bottom of the hill across from the Salon.  It's great for people watching.  You see people heading toward Powderkeg....waiting for the salon show....having their tin types made.  I can only imagine that it will be a much busier place since it is just a few feet from our much anticipated new ride.

Of course rocking the afternoon away in front of the sundry shop is really great too.  I wish they would bring the large rocking "porch" that DW has to SDC.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 05:41:53 AM »
I had forgotten about the Springhouse.  We had a wonderfull afternoon there several years ago.  A soft rain had set in and we spent a couple of hours there watching people go buy, smelling the bread and listening to the sound of the city.

On other point of sitting in front of the saloon.  Eating Cinn Ice Cream and Apple Dumplings!!!!!!

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »

Does that mean that, as a guest, I could get a front seat?

Lol, I meant, the front seat of car 1