Author Topic: Dinosaur World  (Read 12309 times)

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: Dinosaur World
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
wow! im a huge minigolf fan and that sure looks like hard course now   just trying to bring something fun into this topic :)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. It's sad to see Fun Spot fall into a state of disrepair. It does need some TLC. Anyone remember Fun Spot in Branson? Next to the 76 Mall/Old Wal-Mart location. (Grand buffet)

Yes, I have very fond memories of going to Fun Spot when I was a kid.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
Speaking of Dogpatch, here's a story our local news did on it tonight: http://arkansasmatters.com/content/news/fulltext/?cid=315391

Sad but interesting.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
Duelist...thanks for the update on Dogpatch. There are many fans on this site of Dogpatch, too. I remembered going to the park several times in the late 70s and early 80s.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »
When we were in Eureka Springs we wend to the Land of Kong..  Snuck in and took a few family pics in the park.  We had gone there years ago.  THey have started mowing it and some showed up when we were leaving and told us that it has been purchased and will reopen in 2012....  Don't know how much of this is true but we can hope.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/article/20110811/NEWS01/108110343

BEAVER (AP) — Fire investigators say the Aug. 3 fire that destroyed the main building at the abandoned Dinosaur World theme park near Beaver was deliberately set.

. . . .

The building once housed a restaurant and gift shop for the 65-acre park that opened in 1960 and closed in 2005.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »
Just saw an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette NW AR Edition about this fire.  The park was named last year as one of the "10 most endangered Roadside Places." Dinosaur World operated from 1960-2005. The building was about half destroyed, and is believed to be arson. A fire department official said the building has been vacant for years and so there was not much to save. The building had been in a dilapidated condition. The fire was spreading, and firemen saved one of the concrete sculptures that was in danger, a caveman located near the park entrance. Carroll County, AR property records indicate the Dinosaur World property is valued at just under $235,000. The buildings on the property are about $87,000 of that value.

--
Sad to see this piece of roadside America going to pot. I've been by the property several times, it essentially is on the edge of my "regional" neighborhood. Just about a 30 minute drive from my home.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 01:24:43 AM »
Drove past Dinosaur World this weekend. They have cleared the debris from the old gift shop building, except for a pile of what appears to be concrete blocks. The park is overgrown, the lake looks stagnant, and I don't think I'd cross the footbridge over it now...looks a bit unsafe. I think if you wanted to walk or drive on the property you could probably do it, but there is a big sign at the entrance that says no tresspassing, so do so at your own risk. The figures look none the worse for wear from a distance, but probably could use some paint. If you have about $200,000 cash on hand,  you can buy the place. But it would probably take another $150,000 to get things up to par to open to the public again. Sorry, no pictures.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
Drove past Dinosaur World this weekend. They have cleared the debris from the old gift shop building, except for a pile of what appears to be concrete blocks. The park is overgrown, the lake looks stagnant, and I don't think I'd cross the footbridge over it now...looks a bit unsafe. I think if you wanted to walk or drive on the property you could probably do it, but there is a big sign at the entrance that says no tresspassing, so do so at your own risk. The figures look none the worse for wear from a distance, but probably could use some paint. If you have about $200,000 cash on hand,  you can buy the place. But it would probably take another $150,000 to get things up to par to open to the public again. Sorry, no pictures.

Bad location for any type of expense like that.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »
Yes, bad location. The days of thriving roadside attractions are gone. My wife and I drove from Pea Ridge to Eureka Springs and back last weekend, and I noticed Eureka Springs is suffering from an economic standpoint. The downtown and a little portion of the strip above the main entry to downtown was thriving, all the biker places were doing well, but on the edges of town there were many closed, for sale, or just boarded up businesses. Such a shame. The Texans, who previously performed in Branson, have moved to a theater at the Passion Play property to do a show this year. Also, we saw a sign advertising shows by "Boxcar Willie, Junior." One of the theaters in Eureka Springs will feature four different acts at various shows so the theater will be open full time. The third theater continues the traditional one show a night, six nights a week. Passion Play opens this weekend and my wife and I will be going to see it. My first time.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
Eureka Shops went the way of chinese imports and suffered. How many places do you need to sell repo tin signs or Eureka Springs t-shirts. With 65 and 412 slowly becoming 4 lanes Eureka becomes more and more out of the way of everyone.

I love Wilson and Wilson. Blakely has sold me about a half dozen prints over the years and I have several carvings. I believe some of you long time SDCers remember when they were at SDC.  Blakely's business always seems to be thriving and she absolutly still cleans up at War Eagle.