Author Topic: Disney using facial recognition?  (Read 7597 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Disney using facial recognition?
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
I saw this on Facebook. Short version: a guy buys two one-day passes to Disney Land. His girlfriend isn't with him at the time, but is around the corner.

They enter, and never touch or use the passes after that point.

A couple of official photographers take her pictures with a character, but they don't purchase them. He wasn't in those pictures, since he was taking pictures using his own camera.

He paid cash, no ID, for a picture from Splash Mountain. It's a tandem ride, so they're not sitting together.

When he got home and logged on to download that picture, Disney had already tagged his girlfriend's photos and attached them to his account, offering him the chance to buy them.

How did they know who she was, and that she was with him?

Long version:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=336416016413968&set=p.336416016413968&type=1
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:23:59 PM by KBCraig »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: Disney using facial recognition?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
 :o That kinda creepy!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
I'm with Tiff: Creepy!  :o :o
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
WEIRD! I would love to hear Disney's official response!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Well, apparently Disney does use facial-recognition software via their photographers (it probably is part of their cameras, which are high-end DSLRs, most of which have such technology):

"You may even find more photos than you knew were being taken, as the ship's photographers also take candid photos, which are automatically matched to the appropriate accounts using facial-recognition software." -- http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance/destinations/mouseplanet/post/2011/03/Disneys-Dream-y-New-Technology-at-Sea/145385/1

But they certainly aren't being secretive about it; they just don't advertise exactly how they do it unless they're asked (like they obviously were with the above-mentioned article). With their "Memories, Magic, & You" show, they probably started using the software in the parks (at least Magic Kingdom) so they could put together the nightly projected photo show and not get repeats of people so that as many visitors as possible can be in the show.

Anyway, this guy's case probably has to do with his girlfriend getting pics with the characters. The Photopass photographers take SEVERAL candid photos while you are meeting the character, so they probably saw that this guy was with his girlfriend and managed to capture him on a couple pics associated with her. The computers then would have recognized him and given him any photos that had him in them.

I personally have no problem with this. Having been to Disney World this January and last, I think it's great that they try their best to make sure you get every single picture they've taken of you so you can have ALL the memories, even ones you didn't know were happening! And the "Magic, Memories, & You" show is AMAZING, and I wish we could have seen ourselves projected up on the castle, but it's possible we were there and just weren't at a good angle to see (plus, the pictures go so fast sometimes that they can fit thousands of different pics into a single show... and they do this EVERY night with pics that were taken during that particular day; it's so cool and a great way to reminisce about the awesome day you've had!).

Of course, I've grown up around technology my whole life, with a father who worked for Lockheed and is over two decades into a career with Sun (now Oracle). So I've always been a techie and new technology fascinates me, and I love it when it is used to make a person's day better.

No, tech like this would never fly at SDC, but only because it's such a small entity. Disney is GINORMOUS, and with their Photopass and Fastpass systems and multi-day ticketing, it doesn't surprise me nor infuriate me that they use technology like facial recognition and fingerprint ID'ing to make your trip the most user-friendly and memorable trip you can have at Disney.

EDIT: Oh, and this can be very good for security as well (though I don't know if they use it for that), because if someone does something bad, it is easier to find them in the systems. But the computers purge your pictures after 30 days, and I'm sure the same goes for any other info they glean for security purposes. With Disney being so big, security is a huge concern and they want to keep their customers safe.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:59:47 PM by Joy »

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
big brother has come to Disneyland and disneyworld.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
Nice. I am used to being tagged from students/ athletes...but those are people I know tagging me NOT being tagged by a computer cannot wait until the 1984-minority report-society where no one is anonymous. It will help for crimes and similar cases...but for leisure...no. I do not want to "check in" so people know where I am when I am there, who I am with...this could open Disney up to other cases of robbery, and crime if someone is known to not be home, or a case where someone could be harmed if they are really trying to stay away from someone (think restraining orders, custody, etc-if someone wants to find you...this could help then track you down) boo.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
Yall I am totally against the shoot and creep.....(aka facebook) that really makes me ill when joe schmoe can snap my pic face recognition me without permission and post it to a public source. I do have my right to PRIVATLY enjoy a trip to anywhere without the world knowing. I will not visit Disney anytime soon....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »
Disney isn't posting people's pictures anywhere except to their own personal account for the purpose of viewing, purchasing, and downloading. Yes, there's the "Magic, Memories and You" show on the castle, but there's no association made as to your name, and the system for the castle show is purged each night because they only show the pictures that were taken that day.

Also, any time you go to a theme park, even SDC, you are basically giving up your right to your likeness because it's a public place and people are going to be taking pictures. Who knows how many hundreds of pics are out there with me somewhere in the background from all the times I've been to SDC. You go out in public where cameras are gonna be, you're gonna be captured one way or another.

And the computers aren't "tagging" you in the way an individual can tag you on Facebook. They simply match up your likeness so you can be given access to all the photos with you in it. No one in public sees your pictures, and you have to create your own personal, username & password-protected account in order to access your photos online. And after 30 days, you can't access your pics anymore because they permanently delete them.

No one is going to know you're not at home when you're at Disney unless you yourself update it on your Facebook. Disney isn't taking your pictures and putting them online insecurely, and they most definitely are not posting your location. I'm not sure where people are getting that idea from "facial-recognition software." This is the same exact software used in high-end cameras to detect smiles, etc.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
Joy said it perfectly.

By the way...this Jim Coffey guy?  His first statement in his post was "I was 420, on 4/20"

'Nuff said.  Paranoia and pot does bad things folks.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
Rube, I think you said it well.  It is a public place, but so are schools.  And, every year I get a list of which students cannot be photographed.  One year the Supt. picked out one of my students to pose with Mr. and Mrs. Claus.  I told her this child was not to be photographed, but she blew me off, and it ended up in the paper.  There was hell to pay for that, and I was not taking the blame!  Luckily, I had other students that heard me tell her to choose another student.  Chalk one up for smart little kids!  ;)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
I am okay with unintentional photographing...but to be able to link a photo with an account....that just seems odd. I am really leary of this. It may not be "tagging" but it is still looking through photos and linking them together to accounts even though they dont know you. It gives me pause to think that with technology is that advanced.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

cousin bubba

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
In the book "1984" big brother was brought about by the government. but in reality, it has been brought about by big business.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
What can I say...

Technology is evil  ;D