Author Topic: Dinosaur World  (Read 12433 times)

sdcforever

Dinosaur World
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
I could've sworn we'd discussed the now defunct theme park Dinosaur World, located in Beaver, Ark.  I guess not.  Like Dogpatch USA, I have some favorite childhood memories there.  This is located in extreme northern (and rural) Arkansas around Eureka Springs, and contains giant cement dinosaurs along with what is billed as "the world's largest King Kong" attraction (42 feet tall).  As far as I know, pretty much everything is still there (though with large "No Trespassing" signs and locked gates and doors).  It closed in 2005 but, strangely, even the gift shop was fully stocked (yet abandoned) in 2006.  I visited in the fall of 2006, but I haven't been back since then.  You can read a little more about Dinosaur World here:  http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8415

Eureka Springs gained a little notoriety when part of the movie "Elizabethtown" was filmed there in late 2004.  They also filmed a couple of scenes at Dinosaur World, and the Tyrannosaurus Rex can be seen on both the poster and DVD cover, which I have pasted below.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:28:26 PM by SDC Rules! »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dinosaur World
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
That's funny, there's another Dinosaur World not far (45 miles) from the real Elizabethtown (Kentucky). We were there in 2005.

http://www.dinoworld.net/dino-start003text.php?page=2

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »
When I went to there as a teen it was called Land Of Kong.  http://secretfunspot.blogspot.com/2008/03/abandoned-dinosaur-world.html

“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
I happened to see Elizabethtown on TV today, and enjoyed the brief scenes at Christ of the Ozarks statue and Dinosaur World near Beaver Lake. As far as I know, Dinosaur World is still closed, but I think there may be a family living in the building adjacent to it...last time I drove by (It's not too far away from my front porch.) there were a couple of vehicles there. Everything seemed maintained, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
It is definitely still closed and is falling apart quickly. I really wish someone would buy it and reopen it. I mean, I know the economy is bad but even if they just opened it for drive-thru traffic only on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of June, July and August that would still be awesome. Lol.

Here's some pictures I took of the entrance this past November. I did no trespassing to get these shots.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
thanx for the photos   i went to this place the same day i went to dogpatch ages ago. freaked me out a little but still great   thank you

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
^We used to do both Dogpatch and Dinosaur World in the same day too when I was growing up.  It's sad to see it falling apart. :-\

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
This past fall after visiting a few places in AR with Tinman I had the urge to visit Dinosaur World, but it was getting late in the day. I wondered what exactly was still there or what was accessible to visitors. Thanks!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
Thanks for the pictures...maybe it has been a while since I've driven past. If I remember, those sculptures are made of concrete, and would just need some paint. Can't say the same for the buildings, they look terrible. Anybody got a match? (JUST joking!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
It amazes me how all these defunct parks just sit there slowly decaying. It is very creepy when you think about it...
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
The Arkansas Democrat Gazette Northwest Arkansas Edition has an article about Dinosaur World in it today. (3/6/10)
A group called the Society for Commercial Archeology has included the park in its first "Falling by the Wayside" list, announced last Wednesday. The 65 acre park is the largest property listed. Ralph Wilcox, a society boad member, and member of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, said that ultimately the society would like to see something happen so Dinosaur World is preserved. The park operated from 1960 through 2005, and has sat abandoned and began to decay.  The list can be viewed at this address:

http://www.sea-roadside.org/endangered

The co-president of the organization, Nancy Sturm, says the organization hopes the list will bring attention  to roadside commerical architecture. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:30:31 AM »
WHOOPS! Let's try it one more time?   Try this address for the list:

www.sca-roadside.org
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:03:53 AM by History Buff »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
Yeah, the above address works. Sorry about the confusion.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
Update on Dinosaur World:  The current owner, who also owns one of the resorts, is rumored by his employees to have a golf course/resort in the plans for the place.  Also, Fun Spot (of which the owners purchased several prime locations in Eureka Springs & disappeared) is in a sad state.  I've posted photos from last weekend, here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/sets/72157623954885601/
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:22 AM »
Thanks for the update. It's sad to see Fun Spot fall into a state of disrepair. It does need some TLC. Anyone remember Fun Spot in Branson? Next to the 76 Mall/Old Wal-Mart location. (Grand buffet)